Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumorchard

Electrolux Speed Oven vs. Electrolux Convection Mircowave

plumorchard
14 years ago

OK - educate me. Other than size differences - what is the functional difference(s) between a speed oven that can microwave and the microwave that is convection?

Models - Micro E30M075HPS

Oven - E30SO75FPS

Also, both so "no" to under counter installation. Really?

Comments (12)

• mojavean
    14 years ago

I have neither of these specific items, but I do own competing models of both types of devices. The E30M model you mention appears to run on 120V. I have something just like it installed in our motorhome. It is predominantly a microwave with some browning capability but the 120V operating voltage limits the heat output from the radiant elements.

Inside, we have a Miele Speed Oven. It runs on 240V which allows much greater and faster heating of the convection and broiling heaters, plus the microwave, which can run in tandem with the resistance elements. As an oven, it is in a whole different class than anything running on 120V. The E30S model you specify runs on 240. I cannot comment on its performance, but it has the potential to be a serious oven.

In fact, that is how I would describe the devices we own. The gizmo in the motorhome is a microwave with a heater. The gizmo in the house is an oven with microwave capability.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

Nice Post and I'm sure very helpful to the OP, Mojavean.
    You explained the differences very well, without running down the Competition. Very Well done , Indeed!!!!!!
    I have the Electrolux Speed oven, and it, like the Miele is a "Serious Oven" but adds microwave capabilities.
    It is in fact, our most used appliance, as I can't see heating up my main 30" oven, when something will fit in the smaller speed oven and in the case of potatoes cook about 5 times faster (baked potatoe in large oven 45 minutes + about 10 minute preheat---speed oven 5 minute preheat and 7.5 minutes to bake it.

Gary

• mojavean
    14 years ago

We must have us a potato race some time, then!

Neither my wife nor I had a clue about "speed" ovens. We were looking at microwaves, ran across the speed oven, decided why not add the additional ovening capabilities, and ended up with one. I am really growing fond of it, too. It's so much quicker and convenienter to use than the big oven. Not that I don't like the Blue Star oven - I got 4 full size pies in on ONE rack of that behemoth last week - but it is great to not have to heat up the whole place just to knock out a pan of brownies. The fact that they are done so much faster than they would have been in the big oven is just bonus.

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes- thank you mojavean - I do appreciate the difference. I "got" it!

I'm not sure I can figure out the space required in our kitchen. We aren't doing a remodel so are working with an existing layout. The solution with the least impact on cabinet space seems to be under the counter and specs say no to that. I don't think I can do upper with our existing cabinets and I can't find matching cabinets anymore if we were to replace them. (Very special builder grade about 15 years old!) I'll keep trying to get creative.

But I definitely see the benefit of the speed oven. Our kitchen gets pretty darn hot when the American is going all day. We have the 30" and the oven in large! But, for day to day use a smaller oven really would be perfect for us.

dodge - did you post on another that the Electrolux defaults in the micro mode? Or do you tell it to go to microwave? And, doesn't the wave touch panel go dark when it isn't in use?

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

Yes, plumorchard, I did post that the default mode for the Electrolux is micro mode. If you just enter a time, and push start it microwaves.

To use as an oven, you have bake, roast, grill, convection and preheat buttons, sorry no "Broil" button as Antss pointed out, while the oven does have a top heating element the element is above a stainless steel cover which has many slots/holes to allow the heat to reach whatever is being cooked, but would probably not allow enough heat thru to allow for good broiling--so we "Chalk one up here for the miele as I guess it broils? Toasts, meats whatever do get a nice color to them thou from the above burner. The Electrolux also has side burner/burners as well as the burner for the convection fan, in lieu of the bottom burner that the Miele uses. Max temp for the Electrolux is 450F.
    You have 2 speed cook options one button is "Basic Cook", You press that and each time it selects different things you may be speed cooking-----Meats, Poultry, Fish, Casseroles, Pies, desserts---etc. The other speed cook option is "Recipes" where it has 134 built in.

You also have different buttons for microwave (If you want to use them)--You dont have too. The buttons are Reheat, Popcorn, Cook and defrost. In defrost it even tells you to "break up the meat" turn it over, etc etc.

The display is blacked out, except for a small white digital clock, until you put your hand or finger up to the wavetouch panel. Then all the buttons light up in blue, until you enter a time, or select any other button, Then Start lights up Green and Cancel lites up in Red.
    The display goes blank after about a minute if you don't enter anything.
    Again as Mojavean mentioned, this is a 240 volt appliance, which any speed oven would have to be to be a "serious Oven".

That potatoe race sounds like fun, Mojavean, The Vikings versus the Germans!!!!! The race is on, just let me know when and we should try to do about the same size tater---Ya Think??

Hope this answers all your questions, plumorchard
    as to what this speed oven is and what it can/can't do.
    Weve had it over 3 years now and it has been trouble Free.

Best Regards and happy shopping!!!!

Gary

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Indeed it does! Thanks so much for posting.

We'll be watching for the 'tater racing results!

• mojavean
    14 years ago

I installed the speed oven myself, plumorchard. There was not any real thing about it that would prevent it from operating under a counter. If it has the proper space clearances, a 20A 240V circuit (for my model, the H4080BMSS) with the proper outlet will work fine just about anywhere you put it. The problem will be that one will have to crouch down in order to operate the thing and that children could get really hurt under certain circumstances. It takes 3 button pushes to turn the broiler on. In 5 minutes or so it will be hotter than blue blazes and any kid who fools with it will get the snot burned out of him. But if kids are not a problem and you can live with the crouching to operate the thing then put it wherever in the hell you want it. It's your kitchen. Just don't plan on suing the manufacturer or retailer if somebody gets fried.

Hey, Gary. Yeah, lets do a potato race. We'll video the whole thing and put them up on youtube. We'll have to get our potatoes the same approx. sizes. Click on my name to email me and we'll work out how we'll do the great potato race.

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mojavean - we actually prefer above the counter installation. However, our current upper cabinets are 12" deep and most ovens (any type) require 22"+. If we redid that whole section of cabinets I don't think I can match what we have now. And, our house is possessed so if I'm sure there is something that would come up last minute and make it a huge undertaking.

I think for now, we are going to try to come up with a creative solution for our current microwave in that same cabinet area and study the steps required a bit more.

Thanks to you both, again!

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's got to go here.... :)

• mojavean
    14 years ago

Where will the iphone go??? ;-)

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Too funny! Actually it goes a lot of places. That day I got "bumped" from my usual charging spot by my son.

And, the toaster oven is already gone....it was there about 2 days. It replaced a very old one. Too darn big and it got dangerously hot in use. (Breville Smart Oven) That is what got this whole thing started!

But - I think we can modify the current upper cabinet for our current microwave and work towards the speed oven placement in the same space. A nice temporary solution while I get it all together.

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

Okay Gary, well your potato race got me thinking... and I might re-plan my kitchen upgrade and get one of these speed ovens. I've done a little reseach and it looks like E'lux has been making this oven since 2003. They make both a Designer and Pro model and as far as I can tell they are the same on the inside just have different styling? Is this right? The Designer version you have is probably the one we'd get since it looks nicer and is a better match to the 'normal' E'Lux line and I'd put this over a wall oven. I wonder if they are working on a new version of the speedcook that matches the 'Rippa' line of appliances. Looks like I'm going to cancel my pending order for the new slide-in induction range and go with separates instead.