Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbs2vt

Bertazzoni thermostat problem

jbs2vt
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

First I would like to say what a great help this site has been. I have been researching 36" gas ranges (under $4000) since August and this site is by far the best. Thank you.

We bought a home with a 36" 6 burner commercial Garland range, which was wonderful - but the oven was useless. It had no broiler and nothing would brown. I loved the cooktop, but I love to ccok and really needed an oven. After many months of looking, reading and trying to come to a decision, I chose the Bertazzoni. I really loved it from the first time I saw it, but we had a small budget and the price was more than I had planned to spend (although choices are very limited in that price range - I had no idea!).

My dilemma is this. My beautiful Bertazzoni was delivered 12/20. I was thrilled to have it for all my Christmas/holiday cooking. In a nutshell, I noticed the oven temperature keeping rising to 450+, no matter what it was set on. I called the dealer, they referred me to Bertazzoni and then after some troubleshooting over the phone, it was concluded a new thermostat was needed. It has been ordered and I am waiting for it to be replaced.

Needless to say, this has put quite a damper on my enthusiasm and excitement and now I am wondering if I should ask for a replacement. It just does not seem right to spend that much money on a stove and have it delivered with a defect.

Am I over reacting and being unreasonable? Should I just accept the problem and wait for the part or should I ask for a new range? One of the things I liked about the Bertazzoni is that it does not have a lot of bells and whistles, it is a very simple range. There is not a whole lot to go wrong, which makes me feel even more strongly that this should not have happened in the first place and maybe I got a lemon. I seem to be having trouble putting this in perspective. What would you do? Thanks for your help!

Comments (32)

• weissman
    16 years ago

I would just get the thermostat replaced at this point. It's far less hassle than replacing the whole range and will most likely solve your problem. No telling what other problems you might have with a new range. Good luck.

• jbs2vt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the input. One reason I am having doubts is I decided against a black Bertazzoni that was very nicely priced because it had a scratch/dent on the side (it was just about the same price as the stainless steel range). I am one of those quirky people who like new things in the unopened box, so I opted for the new ss...and come to find out, it has problems! Not helping the situation is that the time it is taking to get the thermostat. Is more than a week normal? Thanks again for your help!

• weissman
    16 years ago

It is not uncommon for appliances to have initial startup problems that get fixed with a service call. To be honest, I doubt that they would just give you a new range because of a bad thermostat. Yes, more than a week is normal for parts, particularly for an uncommon brand. Let them fix the thermostat and more than likely you'll be thrilled with your range in a few weeks.

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

Just want to add that more than a week is not uncommon as weissman mentioned. Let them swap out the thermostat and see if that resolves the issue. If not, go from there. Just keep your service records in case you need them down the road.

• User
    16 years ago

On some brands, even domestic ones, getting a part may be several weeks. I'd say that a week is outstanding. And, the warranty will include the repair and replacing of defective parts. Most warranties from all manufacturers no longer include a replacement clause at all. Just repair. Some states have lemon laws that supercede manufacturer's warranties, but most don't and consumers are pushed into buying extended warranties that do offer replacement because of this issue.

• carbiznh
    16 years ago

jbs2vt-

I have just gone through our service history on the Bertazzoni ranges that we have sold, the only issues in two years has been this recent thermostat issue. I am sure this does not make you feel better but I think it is an indication that you will be happy once fixed. For the record, two more bad thermostat calls came in this morning...???urgh!

DKE

• jbs2vt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your good advice. I am FINALLY accepting the fact that my brand new "out of the box" Bertazzoni was not "perfect" when it arrived, and that is okay, we will both be fine - in time!

According to the dealer, the thermostat is on back order, (maybe due to the recent batch of defective ones) so they have taken one from a floor model (a 6 burner Heritage Series). They assure me it is unused, the part number is the same and that it should take care of my problem. I sure hope they are right!

Interestingly, the other Bertazzoni on display is a 5 burner and that model's thermostat had a different part number. I do not know anything about appliance parts, but I thought the Bertazzoni's were all the same except for the number of burners and the outside finish.

Of course, my first thought was to hold out for the part from Bertazzoni, but I must say I am REALLY anxious to have my Bertazzoni working completely. Any thoughts on this? Should I wait for the replacement part or go with the one from the display? I do know they received the Heritage Series in October; I was there the day it was being set up. Thanks again for your help!

carbiznh - Thanks for checking your service records. In a strange, perverse way it does make me feel better that there have been other thermostat problems! I guess misery does like company!

• weissman
    16 years ago

Go with the one from the display - if it doesn't work they can always get you another one. Good luck.

• jbs2vt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your help and advice.

My Bertazzoni is up and running! The thermostat was replaced Saturday and the oven works perfectly!

• judithn
    16 years ago

Glad it has worked out. Happy cooking!

• lbdonaldson
    16 years ago

I just had a repairman come out today for the same thermostat problem. He told me the thermostats were on back order with no idea of when they would come in. He also said that they had another customer with the same problem. Sigh - I love the range (and the way the top burners cook at least) and can't wait until the oven is working properly as well!

• anzac
    15 years ago

Ugh. I had my new Bertazzoni delivered on Monday, and today's the first opportunity I've had to use the oven. So here I am with all the ingredients to bake cookies to take down to my daughter's college graduation in Washington DC this weekend -- (leaving tomorrow) -- and the temperature is stuck on 425, no matter where I set the thermostat. I could just weep! I called the dealer and he's sending over a serviceman. Unlikely that'll happen today and I guess I'll have to kiss those cookies good-bye.

• Aleece Fitzgerald
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have the same issue!!! Having to open the oven every 5 min to cool it is so frustrating. At least I know a call to them will get me the part I need. Happy to have found this thread!!! Thanks!!!

• Nathan Eisenstadt
    4 years ago

I bought a Bertazzoni Master Series 60cm in the UK from Appliance City. The thermostat was doing the same as others describe - initially running the oven arround 100-150C hotter than it said it was, then just going to maximum regardless of the set temperature. Applicance City organised for Bertazzoni (or Britannia which they are part of here in the UK) to replace the thermostat under warranty. Unfrtunately, less than a year later, the same problem returned. This time however, since it was over two years since I had purchased the original item, Applicance City refused to replace the part under warranty despite the fact the issue is exactly as before.

Having already taken temperature readings on the regular fan setting, I decided to check if the oven would reach the appropriate temperature on other settings. I set the oven to 150C using the quick heat setting and waited approximately ten minutes - the inbuilt thermometer was showing 120C when I heard a terrifying 'bang'. This was the inner oven glass exploding.

Almost three months since reporting the second thermostat failure, I am still in contact with Appliance City who are saying that I have to pay for an engineer to fix the oven.

• lisa Litt
    3 years ago

Can anyone answer this question: I have a 24 inch bertazzoni . It does not have a temperature “ gauge “ it has a preheat indicator light . When I turn it on the light goes on . How do I know it’s preheated ? When the light goes OFF? I’m rather disappointed with this oven :(

• HU-67387485
    3 years ago

I have the same problem of the thermostat. This continues to be an issue that they seem incapable of fixing....its a disgrace and will ruin this companies reputation if they still have one. I did hear that there is a way to change the setting of the thermostat from high to low but I haven't known anyone to do it nor do I know how. Has anyone heard this?

• Mark Sabala
    3 years ago

I haven't heard anything relating to that option. I'm going to call tomorrow. There's a guy that works for bertazzoni that's rather knowledgeable. I hope to get him on the line. I'll post afterwards. Same issue by the way low oven Temps, high oven Temps, waisted time watching the thermometer I bought for my range. Not disappointed yet.....

• HU-486428474
    3 years ago

We have a Bertazzoni HER48-6G-gas-VI that has the oven thermostat problem. They have replaced one or the other thermostat 3 times. Still only heats to 450 plus. The only solution they have is to keep replacing thermostats. NEVER BUY A BERTAZZONI !!!!

• Aleece Fitzgerald
    3 years ago

It is the worst stove I have ever owned. Lighting the oven can take 20 to 30 times and the dials keep breaking. It's a POS... I want to get rid of it so badly!!!

• dcharron
    2 years ago

I am having a similar but different issue with a 36" induction Bertazzoni. It is brand new and the oven will not get up to temperature. It is consistently 150-200 degrees low. The service organization seems to be a waste of time as they will not come to look at the unit without a thermostat in hand. The thermostat is back-ordered with no ability to predict when it might arrive. So, we have a dead, high-end, no repair in sight, Bertazzoni for two months. I can give a little wiggle room to them because of covid supply chain issues but this is inexcusable due to the lack of communication and effort on the part of Bertazzoni.

• lisa Litt
    2 years ago

It’s TERRIBLE!

• Philippe
    last year

I’ve had a Bertazzoni for years now and it has been one issue after the other, the thermostat being the last one - consistently overestimating the temperature. It does have a self-cleaning option but it does not get high enough. I’m done considering fancy imports - harder to get fixed.

• HU-486428474
    last year

I am in the same situation, maybe even worse. Their service and repair people will just walk away without fixing the problem. Thermostats are pure junk. They have to keep trying new thermostats, one after another, until they find a "good enough" one.

• Shetellia Riley Irving
    last year

Hi there, I have this stove and just recently had a hige issue with the oven not working. i teached out to customer service to get it fixed and never reveived a reaponse. After reading the reviews, I decided that purchasing a new stove was the best bet and started to use the stove as a storage for pots and pans. on vacation out of the country, the stove mysteriously turned on and started a fire. fore department was called to put out the fire an ultimately turn off the gas. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

• HU-486428474
    last year

I knew the the Bertazzoni ranges are really bad quality but that is a new one. Worst range I've ever had.

• D B
    last year

We bought a house with a 4 year old 36 inch Bertazzoni stove in it. I am so frustrated. I have not bought bread in the past 3 years, baking my own bread in my trusted 23 years old Miele oven in the old house, which never caused me a headache. I bake a lot. 32 walnut and poppy seed rolls for Christmas on top of 17 different types of Christmas cookies.

I tried to bake a few things in my "new" oven. Everything burned from the bottom.

Today I baked my sourdough bread in a Dutch oven and I placed 2 wetted parchment papers on the bottom trying to solve the problem. Plus, I placed 6 ice cubes inside. Still - that horrible oven burned the bottom of my tested a zillion times sourdough bread. I am not happy.

• User
    last year

I bake 6-10 loaves a week in my Bertazzoni with no problems. I doubt this has anything to do with the brand.

• HU-475631891
    last year

I purchased the Bertazzoni oven when I renovated my kitchen April 2020. It has never worked effectively. The oven thermostat guage has been replaced twice. It is on the blink again now. I have always contacted the dealer, Acero Bella in Houston, Texas, and gotten a response. However, now there has been no response since September 2022. While cooking on

the range top, the oven lights came on with the fan blowing. The suggested quick fix is to shut off and on the breaker box, which I do regularly. I am so disappointed. This oven is junk! I have not cooked a dinner in the oven yet, in 2 years! The warranty has expired and its on the blink now!

• lisa Litt
    last year

I JUST DONT GET IT!

so disappointing

• Viviane Deering
    4 months ago

My Bertazoni gas oven will reach temp with the pre-heat knob but when I turn to one of the Bake settings it reduces at least 50 degrees. Can I bake while its set to pre-heat ? I expect that I need a new thermostat

• HU-41042099
    2 months ago

They are all delivered with same problem. Mine too. I think the fan goes on to cool the oven, the gas does not seem to turn on and off. It a beautfulbeautiful stove, but I will never buy another one.