Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladypie_gw

Jenn Air Down Draft Cooktops

ladypie
14 years ago

Does anyone have a JED4536WB model - 36" electric cooktop with built-in downdraft. Having trouble locating one to see in person but thinking of this as an alternative to buying separate Kitchen Aid Cook Top + separate downdraft unit. Opinions anyone ?

Comments (7)

• eandhl
    14 years ago

The big advantage to separate units is getting a telescope downdraft. They have bigger motors and capture more steam and odors. I have had both, though my Jenn Air was old.

• inter_alia
    14 years ago

The downdraft is not very effective as it is working against the gas being lighter than air. The DD's that rise up out of the counter are more effective, but mainly for the pots right next to it. Also many complaint the popup DD sucks the heat out of the pots. Both take a lot of space out of the cab.

Niether option will really vent the kitchen once the fumes get away from the top. One option is a ceiling vent fan. I just recently discovered the Broan L300KMG that is designed for Kitchens and can have a grease filter.

• numbersjunkie
    14 years ago

I'm curious about their new JX3 downdraft system they claim is the best in the industry "compared to hoods and downdraft cooktops". I can find no details on how they support this claim. Since there a few downdraft cooktops to compare to, that part of the claim doesn't impress me. But to say they are better than hoods????

All of the info I find on this JX3 system is put out by Jenn Air.

• inter_alia
    14 years ago

> they claim is the best in the industry ... I can find no details on how they support this claim.

Jenn Air has new oven designs and marketing lit for the top model says "In tests versus six super-premium competitors, Jenn-Air received the title of the industryÂs best performing wall oven."

I contacted marketing who did tell me "the tests were internal, the names of the other ovens and test types or results will not be released." So that's how they support that claim. It's just hot air.

So Jenn Air's new marketing plan seems to claim to be the best. They want to be a premium luxury brand and I guess claiming it is a step. Download their manuals and for most products you will see it is KitchenAid with different named features.

The ovens are much different then the KA oevsn. They have a nice panel and user interface, nice look. The broiler element doesn't look as good as other premiums, or even as good as KA, looks kind of crappy.

As far as downdraft compared to hoods, the DD cannot come close. Once anything gets more then 6" to 18" away from the DD there is no getting it back. Over head vent is the only best way.

• aprince
    14 years ago

The JED model is electric. I recommend this only if you are limited by depth in a counter or island. Otherwise, the telescopic vent is a better unit because it has significantly more power and since heat, smoke, moisture all tend to rise, and the telescope raises to 15 inches, this will work better via physics.

I can't really say Jenn Air's telescopic vent is better than all the others, however, it does have the tallest pellum I'm aware of and this should make a difference.

• numbersjunkie
    14 years ago

Just to clarify - The JX3 "downdraft system" that made the claim about best in the industry was a built-in downdraft on an electric cooktop. It doesn't telescope at all. Must be magic!

• haden
    14 years ago

have had a jennair dd cooktop for 9 yrs. 8.9 yrs ago decided would never have one again