Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcassel_gw

GE Profile Induction OR DeDetriech unit...

mcassel
16 years ago

It seems as time has gone by and my house has taken longer to build that I thought (yes I was naive) there are now a lot more choices at reasonable prices for indiction cooktops... When I was looking 8 months ago in my budget I was limited to Kenmore/Electrolux and the DD units and with those two options the DD unit came out on top by a long way... But now it seems like there are some other very good options and leading the pack is the new GE Profile unit.

Which is the better performing unit of the two the GE and DD? Of course the GE is UL rated which is nice but not a must have for me and both aesthetically look very nice

Comments (9)

• dlspellman
    16 years ago

I am on the tail end of my kitchen renovation and I installed the GE Profile Induction just before Christmas.

I entertained 20 over the holidays for multiple days and all there were amazed at it's performance! We brought 5 cups of water to boil in less than a minute! No odd noises. Sits nice and flush with the counter. And, I love having the extra large burner in the front right corner - which was the final deciding point for me. It got quite the workout and perfomed well.

I also was able to put a drawer beneath the cooktop for non-combustibles like large cooking utensils. No regrets here on my choice! I'm loving it -- along with my GE advantium oven and my Thermador 30" Column Refrigerator and Freezer Units!

• mls99
    16 years ago

Just FYI the GE Monogram induction unit was cheaper than the GE Profile unit.

• tucgran
    16 years ago

dlspellman, How did you get around the installation requirement that states:
    VERTICAL CLEARANCES (CONT.)
    IMPORTANT: To ensure long life of the
    electronic components, allow a minimum of
    12 in.free space for air circulation below the
    cooktop bottom. (Except installation over a
    single oven.) The cooktop bottom has air
    intake ports toward the front that help cool
    the components. Do not install a shelf or
    partition beneath the cooktop that is more
    than 18in. deep.

My KD felt that this ruled out a drawer at 12 inches. Is your drawer more thatn 12 inches below? How many drawers do you have below?
    tugran

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Yeah, kind of makes you wonder how the single wall oven gets around the 12" requirements, too, doesn't it?

• mls99
    16 years ago

There have been some threads about this before. Most induction cooktop installation manuals say x" to anything flammable. The oven doesn't count as it's not flammable.

We're installing the GE in an IKEA cooktop drawer cabinet, which has (from the top) 6.25" drawer, 11.25" drawer, 12.5" drawer. The 6.25" drawer will just be a blank drawer front, and so I can put pans that are about 5.5" high in the middle drawer and fill the bottom drawer. I posted somewhere about which single ovens you can put under the GE cooktop - I had to get a list from GE. Let me know if you want me to repost.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

The requirement cites damage to components, not fire hazard. IIRC poor air circulation blew Kimba's DeDietrich. So to me, saying "the oven isn't flammable" doesn't seem to answer the question.

As to which ovens go under GE's, I asked them for a list and was simply told, "All single wall ovens except a Trivection technology can be installed under an Induction cooktop."

I guess Trivections are flammable? (LOL - j/k!)

• mls99
    16 years ago

I agree with you, fenworth, that it doesn't answer the question - I just wanted to point out what most of the other installation manuals seem to say, and that the GE one is very different in that regard.

• dlspellman
    16 years ago

If you read the manual more carefully, I believe the 18" is with regards to when you put in a downdraft vent behind it.

Additionally, the installation manual says to not store flammable items within 12" like napkins, fabrics, etc.

Below my cooktop I have two deep drawers for pots and pans and like mls99 was planning either do a blank front or a very, very shallow drawer just beneath the cooktop - so we were in a wait and see mode until it was installed. Once installed we found we could do the very shallow drawer with the taller drawer front. All I have in that drawer are turners, large spoons, etc. Even my gravy ladle and larger items don't fit. The drawer sides are only 2" high. And I have no flammable items (potholders, etc.) in any of the drawers. Even at Christmas with all burners in use, it never felt overly warm - I checked. I think its precautionary. Heck if you can put any oven below it, three drawers provide alot more air movement below it than a solid heat generating oven.... So, I went for it.

I have reread the manual that came with it, and I think I am just fine regarding compliance. My appliance and contractor agreed.

• oskiebabu
    16 years ago

Probably the reason that GE said any oven except the Trivestion was referring to the possible interference from the trivections microwaves interfering with the insuction cooktops electro-magnetic waves. So any Trivestion-like oven with microwave included (models from Viking, Thermadors DM, etc) would be verbotten.

When designing a kitchen it is a smart idea to put two doors under the induction cooktop. You can store plenty in doors and even put in a non-flammable shelf that doesn't interfere with the air system required by most induction units.

Greg

Greg