Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandmtn_gw

Need help with Planning 24" Miele Oven Install in a Tall Cab

sandmtn_gw
9 years ago

I am planning to buy and install in a tall cabinet, the 24" Miele H 6560 B ContourLine SensorTronic convection oven.

My cabinet maker and I are looking at the installation requirements and have found some conflicting information in the Miele install documents. We've called Miele twice and got two different answers.

On page 3 of the "Specs" document, a minimum opening height is given as 23-5/8" though in the tall cabinet diagram on page 7, opening height is given as 23-1/4" to 23-7/16".

In the tall cabinet diagram on page 97 of the "Product Manual", minimum opening height is given as 23-5/8".

These documents are not dated so there's no way to know which one is the latest.

The oven is 22-11/16" without the fascia and 23-7/16" with fascia. So if the opening height is made 23-5/8", there will be a 3/16" gap above the oven fascia.

Does anyone here have experience with this issue or if you have this oven installed in a tall cab, can you see if there is a gap above the oven?

Comments (11)

• aprince
    9 years ago

If memory serves me correct, you can install this two ways, proud or flush, therefore; two different install specs. Verify with your dealer

• sandmtn_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

melis918, The cabinet will be roughly 24" wide and 24" deep and the opening will meet the specs given since I am having custom cabinets being built. The width and depth dimension look reasonable and there are no conflicts.

It is the opening height that is in question with two different dimensions specified.

It's either 23-5/8" which would leave a 3/16" gap at the top of the oven face - or between 23-1/4" and 23-7/16" which would leave no gap once the oven is installed.

Anyone have thoughts about or experience with this?

I am thinking that it may be the difference between an undercounter and a tall cabinet install. The documentation doesn't address the difference in opening height between the two installs.

aprince, Thanks for responding but I think that would be a depth issue rather than height - right?

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Miele ovens are made to satisfy architects who often want them to fit completely flush with the surrounding cabinetry.

So the variation in the height measurement could have to do with the way the frame fits the cabinet -- i.e. inset or covering the cut out. (Or not, who knows whether it's an error).

The best place I've found to get an answer to that type of detailed question is the New York showroom.

The Architects & Designers Building
    150 East 58th Street
    (Between Lexington & 3rd)
    9th Floor, Suite 951
    New York, NY 10155
    Directions
    Contact Information:
    (800) 843-7231 x 1200
    Fax: (212) 308-0809

Alternately, one of the Miele centers on the link might be able to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele centers

• sandmtn_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rococogurl, Thanks! I will call them.

• schmip
    8 years ago

Hello - I'm wondering whether you obtained an answer to this. I have the same question

• sandmtn_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

connelde, I called Miele twice and spoke with different people each time. The first time they said 23-5/8" was the correct opening height. Second time there was more discussion and consulting among Miele employees and they said it was 23-1/4" to 23-7/16". In the end, the cabinet maker and I decided that the latter had to be right. I can't remember exactly what the cabinet maker made it, but the fascia just covers the frame top edge (no gap).

• schmip
    8 years ago

Thank you - I am not having my cabinets custom made. I'd like to use IKEA, but I'll have to see what is feasible...

• dbabrams
    8 years ago

My cabinet maker made ours using the specs in the installation manual, unfortunately those are for a proud fit, not flush. There are no specs there for flush fit. It wasn't hard for him to modify the cabinets once we had the ovens in hand.

• schmip
    8 years ago

Thanks - that's helpful to know.

• ftmiamibeach
    6 years ago

@schmip did you end up installing a Miele 24" oven "flush" in an IKEA cabinet?
    From the installation instructions, it seems like the Miele oven is really meant for a 60 cm/600 mm cabinet which would leave a little gap in a US sized 60" cabinet.

IKEA cabinets have a 22 1/2" interior opening vs 22 1/16" expected in the Miele documentation:

I installed both a 24" Fagor and a 24" Fulgor Milano oven in a 24" IKEA cabinet, and both required metal trip to screw the oven into, otherwise I was just missing the cabinet frame. Looks to me like the Miele 24" might have the same issue: