Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyinmaine

Urgent! Found DCS 30' used...10 years old... buy it?

staceyinmaine
15 years ago

Hi folks!!

After agonizing about ranges and busting our budget to afford one (were going to puchase it tomorrow) I just found a 10-year-old DCS model RG-304 for only $500. This is less than 1/4 what I was about to spend. What do you think?????? I seem to recall folks having problems with DCS, but maybe that's just new models?

Thanks for any input!

Stacey

Comments (14)

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

If memory serves me right, that is the model with the dual stacked burners which made DCS a player in the big game. If it is and it is stilled hooked up or can be hooked up to test and make sure the seller isn't hiding anything then go for it, it has plenty of good cooking to go

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I would definately look at it. Hopefully it is still installed and running so you can check everything. I believe
    the only problems which have been few that I have read here are a couple of people had a problem with the broiler upon instillation of new. (I believe it was on the one with auto clean).

• staceyinmaine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies!!
    I was just asking the seller more Qs and this model had upen burners. We're specifically looking for sealed burners. Plus, since this is a 3- or 4-year house for us, and resale is an issue, we're a little worried about a 10-year-old range holding any value.... Otherwise it seems like a super deal.
    If anyone's interested, I linked the ad below. It is in New Hampshire. Very nice seller. I have all the specs on it if anyone's interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: used DCS range $500

• idrive65
    15 years ago

Wasn't someone from NH looking to buy a capital or american 30" LP range here the other day?

• idrive65
    15 years ago

Sorry, that WAS you! LOL.

• weissman
    15 years ago

Definitely check it out and test drive it if you can. That is the older model with open burners - don't know much about it but my 6-year old RGSC-305 is still going strong. Frankly, I think a reliable, well-seasoned pro-style range would enhance resale over a shiny, el cheapo new range but what do I know. Maybe you can even get them to come down a little on the price.

• staceyinmaine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Weissman, for your thoughts! The one I think we'll be buying is a Capital Performance 30" AG. I haven't seen it in person yet but I understand it's very similar to the DCS and much newer, of course. And: sealed burners, which I want.

• dees_1
    15 years ago

The backguard alone is about $500. If you can get the whole thing, including the conversion kit, it's a decent buy. Check it out though to make sure it works. Sealed vs. open burners should not make too much of a difference when you get ready to sell.

Save the $$$ for when you're ready to buy a new range. This should fill the gap for now.

• visusol
    15 years ago

To staceyinmaine, i would love to see all the specs you mentioned. I had seen the posting on craig's list, and was doing some research before contacting seller. I'm not sure what the sealed/open burner is, but have not had any luck finding more info on this particular model. Thanks!

• rennovatorjen
    15 years ago

If it has lasted 10 years, that is a good sign! It is too early to worry about resale value unless you are selling tomorrow. New appliances only increase resale value if they are new when you go to sell. A brand new range right now will have decreased in value when you go to sell in a few years, and there will be something new out by then. I would go for the $500 range until you find something down the road you REALLY want. But then you will want to take it with you!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I just did a search and I think this is really a professional not a residential range. Can anyone confirm this?

• weissman
    15 years ago

What did you find eandhl? I'm fairly certain that the RG-304 is not a commercial range. It's a pro-style range and the predecessor to the RGS-305.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Hi weissman, on home portfolio they still have the range and it the price is around $2600. It way below the residential range prices so I just thought possibly is was commercial. I know if you find commercial Wolf/Viking etc they are substantially less than residential ranges.

• staceyinmaine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all-
    Here is what I found:
    burners are 4x 13,000 btus. Open, not sealed
    it has a full 21" backguard as pictured, plus he also has a shorter 9" one.
    One burner has ignitor problems but he has ordered the replacement part for the buyer.
    he has had it 10 years. His wife is updating all the appliances and they are buying a new DCS with sealed burners so it's easier for her to clean.
    oven is 30,000 btus (according to owner)

That's what I found out. The seller seems like a nice guy.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz