Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fwhartford_gw

Do you love your Samsung 29cf FD Fridge?

fwhartford
15 years ago

We are looking to purchase a Samsung 29.0 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator w/ Premium External Water & Ice Dispenser (model# RFG297AARS). My contractor can sink it into the new wall to make it appear counter depth. It seems to have all the bells and whistles that we want - and to have gotten some good reviews. I would be interested to hear any feedback from those of you who own it to see how happy (or not) you are with it. My 2nd choice is the GE Profile FD with external H2O only (no ice) as the ice takes up too much room in frig.

Any help and advice with this decision would be greatly appreciated. I am agonizing over all my appliance decisions these days!

Comments (6)

• morton5
    15 years ago

Yes, I do love my Samsung 29 cu. ft.. Overall, it is very roomy. The deli drawer holds a lot. I don't mind having to open both doors to open it. I also like that the veggie bins are so roomy. I wish there were more storage on the door for jars and tall items, but I guess that is the trade-off when you get a dispenser. You can flip up half of a shelf to have room for more tall items if you need it. I also like the freezer; find it roomy and much easier to access stuff than a reach-in. We love having a dispenser, and so far no problems. Like you plan to do, I gave my refrigerator a built-in look (I did it by pulling out surrounding cabs), and with the hidden hinges on top of the refrigerator, I think it looks nice. We have about 4 inches between the top of the fridge and the fridge cab, and we covered up about 3 inches of the gap with a trim piece (leaving 1 inch for ventilation).

• jagzand
    15 years ago

Morton5--I love your kitchen. What other appliance brands do you have there in the ovens/ranges and how are they working. We also looked at the Samsung this weekend and liked the look of it alot. Also I believe the salesman said it was more efficient --having to do with the motor assembly. Do you know more about that? I know this is a new brand on the market--have you heard any history of it-are they built to last?

• fwhartford
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW! Morton5 your kitchen is beautiful! Many thanks for your advice and comments. I am going to share how you did this with my builder and kd so we can do the same. Thanks again for all the help!

Jagznd - it is energy star rated and has two cooling systems (one for fridge, other for freezer) which many do not have.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Thanks jagzand and fwhartford. We've had the fridge only since the beginning of November, and so far so good. I did get the extended warranty from Sears, but I can cancel it any time during the regular one-year warranty period and get a full refund. I figured I would see how the fridge performed for the first few months, and if all seemed well, cancel the extended warranty. I am sure the Samsung is much more energy efficient than the fridge it replaced-- most of the time I cannot hear the compressor running at all. The 29 cf replaced Samsung's 26 cf model, and I think that one had high marks for reliability.

Jagzand, the other appliances are a 36" Bluestar RNB range, a GE Monogram Advantium, a GE Monogram ZET oven, a 48" Futuro Futuro hood, a Bosch 800 series DW (not pictured), and a 24", 10 CF LG fridge (I use it as a "kid fridge"-- same footprint as fridge drawers but a whole lot more room). Very happy with all the appliances, though I think at times I would have been better off with a 30" Bluestar, as the 36" has a gigantic oven cavity. Glad I went with the fatty fridge!

• marjen
    15 years ago

I got mine last month and so far really like the space. I will say i did not anticipate how having it near a wall it would make it a little awkward. Our old fridge (side by Side) was only 3" from wall and was fine. I have about 5" for the new one and its really not enough, just something for others to keep in mind.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Thought I'd provide a little more info on recessing the fridge. I boxed in the fridge case only (not the doors), using a depth of a little over 30 inches. The cab to the left of the fridge is pulled out 4.5 inches, because 4.5" + 24" cab depth + 1.5" granite overhang = 30 inches. The grante overhang to the left of the fridge dies into the fridge panel. You don't want your counter overhang to stick out past the fridge case, because you may dent the fridge doors. The cab above the fridge, and the pullout pantry to the right of the fridge, are pulled out 6 inches (no granite overhang to add on). HTH.