Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20102524

Dishwasher installed incorrectly - how big of a deal?

User
9 years ago

After service calls on a Bosch 800 series dishwasher bought and installed in June, we've been told the dishwasher was installed incorrectly and possibly dangerously. The work was done by the contractor who remodeled our kitchen. Here are the issues that the repair guy (who service Bosch warranties) found -

1) the dishwasher wasn't installed with a high loop, so gunk from the garbage disposal was backing up into and clogging it;
2) they apparently didn't use the clips that are meant to affix the machine to the sides of the cabinets next to it - instead they appear to have drilled holes in the (metal) sides of the tub and screwed it into the cabinets;
3) they didn't secure the electrical connection in a box as per code - instead it was just hanging there, inches away from where water had accumulated due to issue #1.

The holes drilled through the dishwasher aren't causing problems now, but the warranty guy seemed to think that they could at some point in the future, and obviously we'd have no recourse since it was a bad install. He seemed to think the whole shebang was all pretty bad, and as someone with no technical expertise I'm inclined to agree. But I wanted to gauge response here - is this incredibly shoddy work? Or is it somewhere in the realm of what a normal contractor does when the dumb homeowners aren't looking?

Either way we plan to get the electrical fixed to code, and we will contact the contractor - he owed us a few other finishing details that weren't completed anyway. We found him thru friends, who liked the owner of the firm so much that he had honorary uncle status among their kids. We'd had other issues with him during the remodel itself, but this kind of sends it to a new level. Just trying to figure if I'm overreacting or underreacting here.

Comments (6)

• ardcp
    9 years ago

this doesn't sound like an overreaction at all but i will let others with more technical expertise comment on which part is crazy! to me drilling holes into your dishwasher sounds insane!
    my dw is not installed with a high loop either so it is very common. i do not have a bosch or a garbage disposal so it hasn't caused me problems as it has you. i doubt many contractors read the install instructions from the manufacturer

• kaseki
    9 years ago

People who can't be bothered to read directions (or interpret the pictures in the case of German appliances) are lazy, illiterate, or bent on maximizing short term per hour income.

There is another moral here; the quality of a technical person's work, or of his boss' supervisory skills, must not be inferred from friends' recommendations unless the friend is actually skilled in the subject matter.

Last, even if one is not technical, it is worth confirming that the installer followed the manufacturer's directions by reviewing the checklist, if provided.

kas

• jakvis
    9 years ago

By drilling holes your installer voided your lifetime SS tub warranty.. You may want to pursue them over this and have them replace your D/W

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

Wow. I'd be checking the rest of the electrical work in that kitchen. Did he install the cooktop or oven? Good luck.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

It's a botched Bosch install for sure. Even though a high likelihood that it shouldn't be a problem I think they screwed not just the tub of the dishwasher. Seek recourse before it's put in the past to long. Good luck!!!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

In my book it would be a huge deal and would be waving red flags as to the quality and safety of the other work that was done. The electrical alone is extremely alarming, this is an appliance that uses water! And they did that kind of scary job where electricity and water are involved.
    The drilling through the actual stainless steel interior is just baffling to me. I would love to hear what he comes up with as a reason for that.
    He would absolutely be paying for a brand new replacement unit and paying for it to be professionally installed.
    I hope permits were pulled for the work that was done but I kinda doubt it. Which can leave you in a very bad situation.

Being granted uncle status doesn't mean he can be a contractor.

What all did he do in your house?