Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cnmng30_gw

GE profile Refrigerator

cnmng30
10 years ago

Am getting ready to purchase a french-door cabinet depth refrigerator and are considering the GE profile. We want an water/ice maker on the door and we were looking at the KitchenAid, Jenn Air and GE profile. The KA and JA have the ice make on the top shelf and it takes up about 1/4 of the shelf. The GE has more space. Curious if anybody has had a good/bad experience with this refrigerator. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• Zivman
    10 years ago

we have the cafe which I believe is roughly the same unit. no issues other than the ice capacity isn't outstanding. We've had the unit for about a month and there has been a couple days we've ran out of ice. my wife is a heavy ice user

• Farbuncle
    10 years ago

The GE profile is my kitchen appliance of choice. The 4 door French model refrigerator is what I have and the ice maker is ample size. Not generous but enough.

• Muffett
    10 years ago

I too was looking for a counter depth French Door fridge. My first consideration was the GE Profile. However, seeing it in person, the freezer drawer did not open enough for me due in part to the slightly curved door styling and I visited it three times!

I ended up getting the Electrolux CDFD EW23BC85KS since the freezer pulled out an additional 1.5". As a bonus, it came with a second ice maker in the freezer.

• C P
    10 years ago

We got the GE Profile counter depth french door (PYE23KSDSS) a couple of months ago. I got it mainly because I wanted the ice/water in the door and this was one of the only ones that does not take up storage space. (In fact, you can even store small/thin items, like salad dressing, in the narrow bins on the outside of the ice maker). Yes, there is a trade off with ice storage capacity in the door, but I just pour out the extra ice into the ice bin in the freezer compartment regularly, so we never run out. It makes ice very fast.

Other pros and cons:

Pros: I find the capacity very good. You can fit a lot in it and everything is accessible, unlike my old full depth side by side. The bins in the doors fit a lot and are configurable. The lighting is excellent. The freezer is easy to organize, with several compartments.

Cons:

-Ice crusher doesn't work well (slow). My DH, who uses the water/ice the most, finds the ice crusher almost unusable.

-Annoying to have to open both doors to get into meat drawer (although I think this is common to most french door refrigerators).

-Capacity for produce isn't great--larger items have to go in the main compartment.

-We did have one strange situation occur where suddenly the fridge got much colder and half froze a bunch of food, ruining a bunch of costly blueberries. We hadn't changed the setting (it was on the recommended setting) so we're not sure why all of a sudden the food froze. We increased the temp and it's been OK since.

On balance, I'm pleased with it and don't regret the decision at all.