Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greasetrap_gw

Custom Colors for Refrigerators

greasetrap
9 years ago

Are there any brands of refrigerators that come with an expanded range of colors? Alternatively is it possible to get metal panels in various colors to use on a panel-ready model? My wife and I don't like the look of too much stainless steel in the kitchen (plus my daughter needs a place for her fridge magnets) and we're not crazy about black, white, or panels that match the cabinets either. I've seen some lower-end models in bisque, but the color is too yellowish and they're too monotone

Even though we'll be spending a lot of money on our kitchen remodel, I'm very tempted just to keep our 24 year-old Hotpoint.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (12)

• Mistman
    9 years ago

It's not too hard to paint an appliance, I know there are a few places in the NW that specialize in it. One place uses an electrostatic method which apparently works rather well. I had considered getting the SS on my wall ovens painted to match my BS range and hood (both green) but the timing didn't work out when we were building and it hasn't been a priority lately but it's something I'd like to do eventually.
    If your going w/a paneled fridge just get the panel painted or have one custom made out of something you like.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think both Elmira stove works and big chill do custom colors (vintage style).

• Gooster
    9 years ago

AGA makes an ivory and cranberry color in a CD FD for their Legacy line. It's finish matched to their ranges.

The new GE lower end Artistry line also does a few colors like red and sky blue.

Besides Big Chill and Northstar/Elmira, Smeg offers colors.

There is a company, Frigo Design, that also specializes in custom skins and panels for fridges. There is a paintable version that you could have powder coated.

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

Viking ranges and refrigerators come in many colors.

• Fori
    9 years ago

It's also okay to keep your fridge and replace it when it needs it. Or when it embarrasses you. :)

There are more color options now than a few years ago so maybe it'll get even better by the time your old one gives up the ghost.

• greasetrap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input. I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a 36" full depth fridge. The remodel calls for a cabinet to give the fridge a built-in look, but the cheapskate in me can't see spending an extra $8K for a fridge with much less storage space.

Does anyone sell colored metal panels for panel-ready refrigerators? I imagine that Frigo Designs could make one, but I assume it would be expensive.

In the meantime I guess I'll stick with my old Hotpoint and try to line up an appliance refinisher for the day when it gives up the ghost.

• plllog
    9 years ago

If you live in an area with a decent amount of industry you should be able to have panels made fairly inexpensively. If you want magnets to stick, it has to be steel. You can have it powdercoated wherever they redo lawn furniture, or have it painted by a body shop, or you can buy colored steel sheets through an architectural building supply company.

You can use strong thin magnets to adhere the panels to a regular steel front fridge, or you can wrap plywood with it to use in the custom panel fridge.

Any time you do custom work, even DIY, it's going to cost money. How much you want to spend is up to you.

If your budget extends to the custom panel fridge but not to having panels made, you could also do plywood or fiberboard panels and paint with magnet paint, then your color over it. It would be more like having cabinet panels (i.e., painted wood or woodlike surface), but would still give you magnets and color.

It all hinges on what is acceptable expense to you.

• Mistman
    9 years ago

I bet you could even have a custom vinyl wrap made relatively cheaply. It runs about $3k to do a car, I would imagine it would be a fraction of that to do an appliance. I actually hadn't thought about it until I read thru pllogs post but I don't see why it wouldn't work and you could get REALLY creative :) How 'bout a waterfall down the front of the fridge, or a forest setting, or an artisan bakery w/shelves full of loaves, a view out a window onto an Italian countryside. Hmmm.....maybe that'll be the next thing for the SZ :)

• Fori
    9 years ago

They used to sell fridges that you could put your own fabric onto. We need that!

Do Fatheads stick to fridges? I'd check but I can't get through the magnets...

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Check with any local graphics shop that does wraps for vehicles. I'm sure that they can do anything that you want. If it lasts 3- years exposed to UV in the exterior, it's surely to last longer in an indoor situation.

• aprince
    9 years ago

Any refrigerator that accepts custom panels will allow you do put any color you want on it. Same applies to dishwashers, warming drawers, and many others. Jenn-Air, Subzero, Miele, Dacor are just a few.

• plllog
    9 years ago

A wrap is a great idea. It can get scuffed/scratched, but is pretty durable. Most of the money is for design (transferring the image so that the right part is in the right place, and all of that, assuming you bring in your base image) and labor, so I don't know that it would cost a huge lot less than a car, but it allows you to forgo the panel ready fridge, carpenter, cost and delivery of materials, etc. Just make sure magnets will hold through it. (If regular fridge magnets don't, you might be able to add rare earth magnets, which might stick well.)