Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadee4_gw

Necessary to have dishwasher steam deflector/moisture barrier

chickadee4
10 years ago

I have moved frequently so I have owned homes with corian, wood, granite, laminate, and soap stone. ALL had moisture deflectors installed above the dishwasher just under neath the counter top.
I was told that the hot dishwasher moisture will soften the adhesive, destroy the laminate and the kitchen cabinet.
I recently installed a Bosch dishwasher under soapstone along with the moisture deflector.
My niece who is in the middle of a kitchen installation was told that it is not necessary to have a moisture barrier/deflector with marble counter tops.

I understand why laminates need the moisture barrier but
Aren't all counter tops needing the moisture deflector to prevent moisture on the cabinets?

Comments (8)

• xedos
    10 years ago

"I was told that the hot dishwasher moisture will soften the adhesive, destroy the laminate and the kitchen cabinet. "

It will.

"was told that it is not necessary to have a moisture barrier/deflector with marble counter tops. "

It's not.

"Aren't all counter tops needing the moisture deflector to prevent moisture on the cabinets? "

No, it's there to protect the underside of the countertop. It does nothing for the cabinets themselves.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

xedos, we see pictures of full-size-panel dishwashers all the time. Are they all "rolling the dice", or is it only laminates that are a problem?

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

I read the install directions before my Miele was put in and it said, from what I recall, that it was only needed for wood or laminate type counter tops to prevent the moisture from penetrating those materials. Stone and other hard surface materials won't absorb that moisture and don't have the same issues as laminates and wood from what I have read.

Phil

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Based on phil's post, i realize I should clarify that I was curious if its a problem with a laminate cabinet panel on the front, not laminate counters (our counters are quartz).

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

My miele is paneled, not laminate, but still paneled. I have not had any issues in the 1 year we have had it so far.

Phil

• chickadee4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All my washers in the last three homes had the moisture barrier. The counters were granite, corian and hickory wood. I could not recall if this strip was for the counter or for the cabinets.
    I have soapstone presently with a moisture barrier so I assumed you need it for all counters. I searched the Internet but only found posts saying you need the barrier for laminate counters. Miele installation instructions on their web page said you only need the barrier for laminate countertops.

Thanks for clarifying .
    It sure helps to confirm info

• Dan Vellucci
    2 years ago

Hate to break it to you all but your cabinets are most likely made of very similar materials to a laminate counter. Cabinet cases are made of plywood which is laminated layers of wood. The cabinetry will take abuse from the steam created by the venting dishwasher. While not directly above the dishwasher like the counter top, the steam will hit the top and be deflected towards the sides. Inevitably the wear will show and need repair. That is not a defect, it's just a fact.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!