Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

Appliances off of craigslist ? Wolf 48' gas cooktop 1 year old

athensmomof3
14 years ago

I am really not at the stage to be buying appliances yet but on a lark checked out our local craigslist and found a 48" wolf gas cooktop with griddle for 3600 or best offer - must sell quickly. Apparently, 1 year old, excellent condition, no scratches or dents.

They are also selling double wolf ovens.

I have corresponded with the seller and it sounds like a foreclosure (the said I sold my house but the buyer lowballed me so I am selling without appliances or light fixtures).

I could theoretically go pick it up but it is a long drive :)

I think it is probably too early in the game for me to buy anything but I wonder if anyone else has done this? Anything to look out for? I have no idea what a full price one even retails for?

Comments (11)

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If the Wolfe ovens are the Cobalt Blue inside, be sure to check for flaking of the finish---We have seen at least 3 posts regarding this type of problem, with the Wolfes also seen it on Fagor as Well as Electrolux, alto the Electrolux was replaced under warranty and new one, no problem--The Fagors were replaced but the new ones had the same problem, I don't know the final outcome of the Wolfe's or the other 2 Electroluxes---so something to watch out for!!!

Gary

• malhgold
    14 years ago

I bought a number of kitchen items from both ebay and craigslist way before I started my reno. Just make sure that you are definitely set on those sized appliances in your kitchen, otherwise you'll be selling them on craigslist too. Good luck!

• athensmomof3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good point about the warranty. Hadn't even thought about that! I was not interested in the double ovens - just the cooktop, which he has pictured with the hood. I will ask for the serial numbers and check it out.

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

Beware of scammers adverstising low prices on craigslist
    http://www.topix.com/forum/home/remodeling/TTFNM01EKRPL73LLA

you should copy and paste a few lines of text from the craigslist ad into google along with the word "craigslist" and see if it pops up on other craigslist ads.

Definitely get serial numbers and phone numbers. If they won't give you a phone number it is definitely a scam.

Good luck!

• mrtimewise
    14 years ago

Good point about the scam potential via any on-line sale (eBay, Craigslist, Kijiji, eBid, Bonanzle, etc.).

We actually visited the seller and checked out the oven before we bought it. And we called Dacor to confirm the warranty was valid for the serial number. We then transported it in our vehicle so delivery was not a problem.

• amcook
    14 years ago

I've bought and sold many things on Craigs List and have had no serious issues. That said, just like any other person to person transaction, do your research and check things out. If you are careful, you can get some great deals. The main "scam" for large items like this usually involve a few things:

1. A seller says, "There's a bunch of people before you but if you send me $50 via paypal, I'll hold it for you." Run for the hills if any seller asks for a deposit or partial payment. Pay in full when you pick up the item.

2. Stolen goods. Get the serial numbers from them and search for it online. Even a simple google of the serial number might produce some hits. Try one of several stolen item databases (link below) and local law enforcement. Some states/cities have online searches set up to report and search for stolen items via serial number. BTW, to protect yourself, it's a good idea to write down all of your serial numbers for expensive items and keep them in a locked safe or hidden somewhere. Make several copies and keep one off site. That way if you're ever robbed, you can report the items and possibly even recover them. At least you'll make it more difficult for the thief to sell the item. I started doing this with all of my photography equipment over 15 years ago.

3. Severely damaged, lemon return, or rebuilt items. Sometimes, items that were damaged due to fire or other severe circumstances can end up back in circulation. For instance, there's a fire and someone makes an insurance claim to get a range replaced. The old one goes to the junkyard where someone picks it up and gives it a new paint job and replaces a few obvious parts. Might look in decent condition but there may be unseen damage inside. To protect yourself, call the manufacturer and verify the person selling it is the registered owner and ask for a repair history on the item. Also, open the top and back if you can to see if there is any damage that is not obvious from the outside.

4. Fakes. Yep. They're out there. Back in the mid 90s there were people selling red knobs and wolf emblems to make a cheaper commercial range look like a wolf. Some might say a commercial range would be nice but realize that it may violate fire codes to install one in your home. In any case, if you buy something thinking it's a wolf, when it isn't, then you're being cheated. Best way around this is know your product. Research everything about it. That's what's great about the internet, you can get pictures and measurements and make sure you're buying what you think you're buying. Obviously also look at the serial number plate/tag to make sure model number matches.

Doing research and knowing the product can go a long way in preventing these last two problems. For instance, if you know that a 2008 Wolf range has a certain knob layout or only certain color options, then you'll know immediately if it's a fake or if it's been repainted due to damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slolen item database...

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

Wolf customer service should have a record of installation and service for it via the serial number. That should set your mind more at ease.

• faith2009
    14 years ago

I just looked at the 48" wolfe cooktop as that was what I really wanted and new from an appliance store was $4169 so saving $569. doesn't sound like such a deal for a 1 yr old appliance where you are taking a chance on the condition along with the long drive to pick up. Not sure what the prices were a year ago. This guy will be making out pretty good if he can sell for that price in IMHO.

• yellowdog51
    14 years ago

OP - You mention that the appliances are being taken out of a house that sold or maybe was forclosed. As many have posted here, there's a problem with appliances, fixtures, even wiring being taken out of forclosed houses and sold illegally. And if the house was sold in a "normal" transaction, the appliances would usually stay with the house.

If this guy is taking out the appliances and selling them, I wonder if you could be receiving stolen goods.

• athensmomof3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

good point yellowdog - I think that may be the case. As a former lawyer, I decided I don't want to take that risk, although I don't know what the law is in GA (not licensed here) and never practiced criminal law at any rate. I would also be worried about any sort of lien that may have been attached to them . . . Not sure this is a foreclosure but as you point out, I can't imagine built in ovens not conveying with a sale . . .