Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

Kitchenaid Dishwasher Fires and class action

athensmomof3
12 years ago

Anyone have any more information about this or the models involved? There was something on the news in Atlanta a week or two ago about it - apparently an area house had a fire in their dishwasher. This is not an isolated incident . . .

Apparently, the government is investigating, and there is a facebook page devoted to this issue. I just purchased two KA dishwashers - the KUDE30 and the KUDE70 - so am quite concerned!!!

Comments (11)

• tynewydd
    12 years ago

Website is kitchenaidfire.com

Note - the lawsuit is about not only KitchenAid but also Whirlpool, Sears Kenmore, and Maytag dishwashers (all manufactured by Whirlpool). The issue is the control board catches fire - speculation is water gets to it somehow.

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAidFire

• athensmomof3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very scary, since I always set my dishwasher after dinner and usually put it on delay so it runs after I get in bed. Of course, I have a whirlpool now . . .

• murmylo
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I just created a petition: KitchenAid/Whirlpool: RECALL their dishwashers (they are catching fire!), because I care deeply about this very important issue.

I'm trying to collect 1000 signatures, and I could really use your help.

To read more about what I'm trying to do and to sign my petition, click here:

http://www.change.org/petitions/ceo-of-whirlpool-corporation-we-demand-a-recall-on-your-fire-hazard-dishwashers-now

It'll just take a minute!

Once you're done, please ask your friends to sign the petition as well. Grassroots movements succeed because people like you are willing to spread the word!

• antss
    12 years ago

I wonder if they will publicly deny there is any problem at all , just like they did with their ovens that didn't have a problem but stopped working by the thoisands after a self clean cycle was run?

I would not spend my money with a company that operate this way. Additionally , they dont have any product that another 4-5 other companies do, and their prices are not really lower either.

So, what are you getting for your money?

• antss
    12 years ago

Athensmom - could you comment for future readers that might be in the position you were a while back?

Meaning , in hindsight, are you satisfied choosing the KA over say the Miele and Bosch that were recommended in it's place.

Was the money you saved upfront worth it?

How is the performance ?

• mojavean
    12 years ago

Whirlpool isn't the only manufacturer to endure a recall. It can happen to even the even the most prestigious and exclusive brands.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

The problem isn't a recall. The problem is that KA/Whirlpool is refusing a recall.

• mojavean
    12 years ago

CPSC can order a recall, one which KA cannot "refuse." Perhaps the petition above should be CC'd to the CPSC, along with some pictures of fire-damaged units.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

The threat of lawsuits is far more effective than petitions.

• athensmomof3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

antss - they are not installed yet. House won't be completed til April, but we bought appliances prior to the new year before the price increase.

Part of the reason I bought KA is that I needed two dishwashers and I wasn't sure I would like the Miele without the drying element. I was told that the Miele and all european dishwashers are non-standard sizes so if I bought a Miele and hated it I would have to replace it with another European brand. We have panels on our dishwashers and have fully integrated the KA's so this would be a PITA.

At any rate, the KA is surely better than my current bottom of the barrel Whirlpool, which requires a through cleaning of all items before placing them in the dishwasher (even with Finish Quantum - helped some but not much).

• bonesoda
    12 years ago

WOW. I am glad i switched from the KA apps to misc other brands thanks to this forum.

KA used to carry such a reliability to thier name, but total opposite now.

First the ovens & denial and now this.

Initially there was the KA dishwashers letting out moisture and destroying cabs but they had issues a fix for it and now this.

Just WOW.