Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finethreads

Checking to see if Thermador install price is reasonable

I am arranging for install of my Thermador fridge and freezer columns and 36" dual fuel range.

This is new new construction. The columns need to be connected into one unit and applied cabinet door panels attached.

Installer wants $350 for range install and $750 for fridge/freezer install.

Reasonable?

Comments (21)

• Mistman
    9 years ago

Interesting, installation was included for my SZ fridge and BS range from my retailer and builder in my new construction. Although I did check around about the SZ prior to purchase and was quoted $175 to set-up the fridge after it was installed. Sorry not really much help though to me it seems sorta high considering my understanding is that appliances are included installed in a new build whatever that takes.The cabinet guy installed panels on the fridge and DW along with the rest of the cabinets, it was included in the quote.

• Oldbluemountainbeach.com
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mistman,

I picked up all scratch and dent thermador appliances from an out of town appliance dealer at a greatly reduced price. Then I had them shipped to my location in NW Florida panhandle.

Warranty was included, but not installation. I handled the appliance purchase and installation on my build. I checked with local appliance store and got the name of an installer that does Thermador, Subzero, etc.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Paneling my single-door Thermador fridge/freezer took 3/4 of a day so I don't think the price for the fridge and freezer is bad.

Original Author
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan,

Thank you! That gives me a better feel for the pricing.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Thought you'd like to see how it looks - it was worth every penny!

• jakvis
    9 years ago

I guess it depends if the delivery and placement in the home is included in the price.
    $350 & $750 is a lot if the units are already in the house and just need to be placed in a preprepared niche. The range takes less than an hour to install and if the standard SS panels are being used on the T-Dor collumns the entire install usually takes my guys about 90 minutes.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

Had a 36" Sub Zero installed over the summer for $450 from a certified SZ installer. This included them picking it up from the store and transporting it to our house and removing the debris. The installer did spend a couple of hours at our house getting it just right. So $750 sounds a bit high.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I think it is a bit high. I have to bring the units to the house. The custom cabinet shop is going to fix the door panels.

I think I will go ahead and install them. It's within my skill set. I just didn't want to deal with it.

I'm exhausted from the build and wanted to sit back and relax a bit. Thanks for all the input

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Thermador freedom colums are not an easy install. It's not as easy as a all in one frig freezer combo. I would say it would be reasonable to expect it to cost twice as much as typical built in unit. To me it makes sense there are two units that require a part to be installed between them and to align the doors with perfection. The actual price is determined by what is fair in your market and the complexity of the location. Rarely but sometimes doors can sag and may need a realignment after the unit is put into operation and if anything settles. I would make sure that there is a guarantee for adjustments if necessary afterwards.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

The range on the other hand seems a little steep in relation to the cost of the combo install. If the site is ready with the proper location of the utilities and no further modification needed it should take 30 mins to set, level, check and readjust. Assuming that it is at least a two man crew and no difficulties getting it in to the house. is the dealer installing it or is a third party contractor.
    For my market we charge too little in comparison to what you are paying. However we do all our installs with our own crew to control quality and cost to the customer.

Original Author
    9 years ago

The installer is a third party contractor. He requires that the units be on site and in the kitchen prior to install. His price does not include fixing or adjusting the cabinet door panels.

• xedos
    9 years ago

If the installer is not installing the decorative panel on the fridge and freezer, then $375 ea. is OUTRAGEOUS for unboxing, sliding in and leveling and securing those units.

In fact, depending on your panel design, sometimes those units cannot be leveled to the proper height and secured without having the panels installed so that the installer knows where to drive the screws.

Oldbluemountainbeach.com thanked xedos
  • sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

i agree - when I said it took 3/4 of a day to install my Thermador, I was referring only to the panels - the installation of the fridge box itself (electric and water line) took no time at all, and fridge was already in the house.

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

The range install seems high to me. I bought a Bluestar range and a BS installer will deliver it to the house, and install it for $250. Since your installer requires it to already be in your kitchen at your house, it seems overpriced.

• Jessica Fuller
    9 years ago

Seems very high to me. My GC quoted me $1700 to do every single appliance in my house, which I thought was high (included a pair of columns with custom panels). I had a cooktop recently installed At another house for $150, got two other quotes at $180 and $250 for the same cooktop. It pays to shop around!

• xedos
    9 years ago

So...............

Who installed your appliances ?

Original Author
    8 years ago
    1. I apologize for the late response. My wife and I ended up installing the appliances ourselves. I did try to get the installer to come down to $600 for the fridge install and $250 for the range install. He got very very angry with me and said he would not budge on the price. He said that was the price he gets for his work and that is what I would have to pay. Well not from me.
    2. So we installed everything over the weekend while the subs were away. Thermador's instruction sheets were pretty good. The range was a quick install. Pretty easy to level. The gas line left by the plumber was a little bit short so I didn't have very much room to connect the supply to the range, but got it done.
    3. The columns went together fine. They were scratch and dent and the back corners were badly dented where you attach the hinge connectors, but I was able to attach the hinges and tap the connecting pins into place. Copper tubing hooked up to ice maker, anti tip devices installed, slide the combined unit into place, level it, attach the top flange to the bottom of the upper cabinet. Good to go. Total installation time was about 3 hours, but we took our time. I had to order a couple of cosmetic cover pieces that hide the connectors between the top of the columns and the bottom of the upper cabinet. Thermador parts support were helpful.
    4. We ended up not using our applied panels because the cabinet designer did not measure the opening correctly. So we ended up purchasing stainless door panels from the local Thermador retailer. They installed the panels for $100.
    5. Installation of the door panels was far more difficult than the actual appliance installation. A lot of skill involved in getting them to be even with each other and on plane.
    6. If I were to do it over again I would have purchased my appliances from the Thermidor dealer and then would have had them coordinate with the cabinet shop to insure correct cabinet measurements. It would have been a much better experience. I will post a follow up photo of the kitchen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are photos of our completed kitchen with Thermador columns, Thermador dishwasher and Thermador 36" Gas Range.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Jack your kitchen is gorgeous. Enjoy it.

Oldbluemountainbeach.com thanked cpartist
  • sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

It came out great - just beautiful!