Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
effiemyrtle

Samsung Induction Range or Kenmore Induction Range

effiemyrtle
12 years ago

I am considering buying either a Samsung Induction Range or the Kenmore (not Elite) induction range. Comments on either one?

Comments (21)

• effiemyrtle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have to stick with Sears since they are replacing a LEMON Kenmore electric (not induction) and I don't have a lot of time to wait. I'm not a Maytag fan - the "lonely" repairman spent a lot of time at my house years ago on 2 sets of washers and dryers. Do like the burner configuration on the Maytag. I lost faith in consumer reports when they highly rated the Whirlpool calypso washer that literally ate my clothes.

It is just my husband and I, so we don't use a lot of large pans. We are also considering the Samsung Duo flex - neat idea for a dual oven. I've read a lot about problems folks are having with the Samsung induction. Is the fan noise objectionable to you?

I wish the cool stoves came in white. The kenmore induction actually comes in white in Canada, which of course we cannot get here. Go figure!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

No, we really don't have any problems with the fan noise, but I can see where they could drive some people nuts. I don't know how other models like Kenmore fare with respect to fan noise.

• effiemyrtle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gsciencechick - I really appreciate your input. How long does your fan run after using the cooktop or the oven? I have a really loud Whirlpool Velos microwave above it, so it can't be any worse, for sure! But the vent fan gets shut off when the cooking is done. Is the fan a gentle whir or something that would be difficult to hear TV over? I keep going back and forth between the Samsung and Kenmore. Problem with the Kenmore is there are no reviews for it - except the Canadian version. I have a Samsung fridge and washer and dryer, so I do like Samsungs. For me the price difference will be about $50, so it is a real toss up.

• chac_mool
    12 years ago

Since Kenmore just re-badges stuff made by other companies, you might check to see who makes this particular induction range for Sears/Kenmore. That may give some indication of quality or issues, although its certainly not definitive.

FWIW, my E'lux induction's range fan is very quiet, and not a bother at all. Not sure if E'lux makes the Kenmore you're considering -- or, if they do, if it shares the same fan and acoustics, of course.

• effiemyrtle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Where do they vent the air? Out the front?

If I have pans that have a base of 8 3/4", will I be able to use them on an 11" burner that has a minimum of 9"? How exact must they be?

Fun and games!

• coco4444
    12 years ago

Is the Samsung not a hybrid (2 induction, 2 radiant)? That might be a consideration as well.

• effiemyrtle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, this one is totally induction. I didn't see the hybrid anywhere.

I bit the bullet and got the Samsung. Neither DH nor I liked the looks of the Kenmore - can't say why. Now for the search for pans! Any recommendations?

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Great! Like I said, we've been very happy with ours. The fans are not quite as loud as a microwave running. They are running right now from dinner. Like anything else, you get used to it.

After using the cooktop only, the fans will run for maybe 10-15 min. After using the oven, they will cycle on and off for about 2 hours until the oven cools down. I read on the Samsung site you can try to open the door a bit.

• coco4444
    12 years ago

My bad... I was thinking of the Frigidaire (hybrid).

Glad you are enjoying... as more people experience induction the word will get out (and with possible economies of scale price reductions!)

• fauguy
    12 years ago

You might want to check out the new GE Induction model PHS925STSS. It's a slide-in, but fits the same space as a standard free standing model.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=PHS925STSS

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Samsung also did make a hybrid induction range. I am not sure if this is still offered.

I think the Kenmore is induction made by GE vs. Electrolux.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

The Kenmore probably is a Samsung anyway.

I would check and see who actually makes that particular Kenmore.
    Odds are you might get the Kenmore (Samsung/Electrolux/whatever) for a better deal, just wait for the 30% off sales.
    Probably get better repair service from the Kenmore also.

• effiemyrtle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After having such a horrible experience with the Kenmore electric range, I am afraid to try Kenmore again. Still have some extended warrranty left which will transfer to the Samsung. I have had great luck with my other Samsung appliances, so I hope I do with the range also. My husband laughed at me when I told him that the appearance of the Kenmore just left me cold, but when he saw it, he felt the same way. Blah. Can't put my finger on why.

gscience chick, after baking I usually leave my oven door cracked open in the winter anyway for the heat boost to the kitchen.

My son uses Circulon Infinite pans on his induction and really likes them. (Interesting to get cooking advice from my son!) In browsing the net, Circulon has a 25% off sale this month as well as deep discounts on the Infinite (looks like Symmetry will be replacing it). I found an 11 inch skillet for roughly $18 and a twin pack 10 and 12 skillet for $36 (Symmetry), etc. Then on the potsandpans.com website I was able to find the 3qt saucepan for a really good price. I have a few pots and pans that I can use from before (I hope). Two of them have 8 3/4" bases - hope I can use them . . . I love my Calphalon Contemporary saucepans and hate to lose them, but I see that they are coming out with a Contemporary IH line (induction friendly) - in Australia, but not here yet. Maybe soon . . .?

Guess my life is kind of dull when I can get so excited about a new range!

Any hints and suggestions will be appreciated!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I got some pieces of the Infinite Circulon with my range as a rebate. I mostly use the large skillet vs. the medicum stockpot.

Tonight we used the LeCrueset grill pan for burgers. I also have a set of Emerilware that works great. The medium skillet fits on that awkward back corner burner.

I also have a very small Greenpan. Not all Greenpan works on induction, though.

• effiemyrtle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is your grill pan square? Do square pans work? I'm going to have to find a new griddle. Ihave a set of stainless earth pans that seem to be pretty magnetic. Fry pans are no longer non-stick, but the sauce pans are still good.
    The stockpot is one that has a 8 3/4" base and I hope it will work on the 11" burner.

On my current cooktop, when we are done cooking in a pot, we usually just move the hot pot to an unused burner to cool down. Can we still do this on the induction, or will it keep the fan running longer?

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

The square LeCreuset grill pan on the biggest round burner is not a problem at all.

• jakkom
    12 years ago

effiemyrtle, thank you so much for the mention of the potsandpans.com website sale on Circulon! I would never have known about it as it's not a website I've used before. Did have to pay CA sales tax but the sale was so good it was worth it.

Got several of my "most-used" items that I've been meaning to replace for a while, so I'm very grateful.

• effiemyrtle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad to have been of help! There were some pretty good prices! My pans have shipped already from both websites, so I'm anxious for them to get here.

• effiemyrtle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gsciencechick, the Samsung is installed and tested. The fan is very quiet - barely noticeable and totally unobjectionable. My 8 3/4 bottomed pans work on the 11" burner. We are happy! It had a manufacture date of Dec. 2011, so hopefully Samsung has corrected the problems that many folks objected to. The oven even heats much faster than the Kenmore convection it replaced.

• effiemyrtle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually, a pan with a 5.5" bottom worked on the 11" burner. Fantastic!