Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP - Spill Runs Between Glass on Miele Oven Door

Posted by massgirl (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 7:43

I see there are a bunch of folks who have Miele ovens, perhaps you can help. After a nasty broiling episode which splattered grease on the oven's glass horrifically, I tried to clean it. In doing so, water solution dripped in-between the glass panes of the oven doors and now you can see the dried water drips through the front. I have self clean, haven't tried it yet on this problem, but I can't imagine how that can help. Anyone ever had this issue?
Thanks for helping me out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP - Spill Runs Between Glass on Miele Oven Door

Just got my answer; there is no do it yourself answer. Called Miele tech center and in order to solve this problem a tech has to make a house call to disassemble and clean the glass. Lucky for me they are doing it complimentary because the oven is just over a year old! I guess you have to attack burnt on spills one at a time with miniumum water so it can't get near the edge.

o

I was just reading the other day on I believe the cleaning tips forum. Sounded like several people had success by placing a wet rag on a stick or something and pushing it up through the slots on the bottom of the oven door. Maybe check out over there for more details.

o

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't know if this will work on the Miele oven but I thought it's worth putting up here. Sounds like it's not a common problem, but does happen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning Spills Between Oven Door

o

I read this post when it was initally posted and have been extremely careful when wiping the glass. However, I had the same thing happen. Apparently liquid - a drop - can go in the slots in the upper part of the door -voila - drip stain. I couldn't believe it as I have been so careful since reading the post. The most I have useds is a well rung out cloth or barely damp paper towel. The service guy says Miele will fix it one time for free. It is a huge design flaw. FWIW the service tech said not to run self clean too often as the high heat is hard on oven ...What??????? I don't know if I believe that - I mean isn't it designed to take the heat?

o

I was told by an appliance sales person that you do not need to use the self-cleaning feature too often...just turn the oven on its highest temperature to burn off "dirt". Hmm. I haven't tried it. I was also told that running the self-cleaning on an oven causes it to deteriorate more "quickly". Whatever that means?! I have no first hand experience either way...just passing along information I received while shopping for appliances.

o

Lucypwd, When the repairman comes to clean the window of your oven, watch him or ask him to show you how you can do it yourself with another person. Yes it will happen again.

You take off the oven door (as shown in the use and care book) unscrew the four (?) screws holding the two pieces of oven door together;remove the handle by unscrewing it from the door, CAREFULLY remove the glass sandwiched between the two door pieces and clean the glass. Reverse steps to reassemble. It is not difficult as long as you are working with someone who is handy. Also at the bottom of the oven door there is a large opening which you can use as directed in the link attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning Spills on Glass Between Oven Doors

o

Tonight I tried disassembling my Miele Speedoven door to clean a drip between the glass. While taking out the last screw, the outer door crashed to the floor shattering to tiny safety glass pieces. The cost to replace $307, and $189 for service.

I had seen the service guy disassemble my regular Miele door to clean a drip while back, and he showed me how to take that door off... doesn't work the same with the Speedoven : (

All I can say is, be very careful.

o

I have a Miele double oven H 398 BP2, and cleaned the glass oven door on the inside as follows: I removed the door per Miele Operating Instructions Manual. I used a wooden yardstick with a long sock on the end. I used dish liquid and warm water on the sock and slide the yardstick (with sock) inside the two pieces of glass. The slots are at the bottom of the door (three openings). The yardstick allowed me to go all the way up to the top of the door, beyond the glass and into the slotted area to wipe everything down. I used clean warm water on the sock (on the yardstick) for a rinse. I used a dry sock on the yardstick to dry between the glass. The glass cleaned up to new condition in about 10 minutes. No technician required.

o

Can someone explain how to remove the door of the speedoven?
I have the same problem, need to clean the glass...
The H4080 manual doesn't explain how to remove the door.

o

bump

o

Bought a Bosch wall oven from Goeman's Appliances to go into my brand new renovated and very expensive kitchen. After 3 uses and only baking some chicken on the middle shelf, to my dismay we noticed the dreaded streak of something between the glass doors. Called Bosch. "Sorry, the warranty doesn't cover this. You will need a service call at your own expense". Called Goeman's customer service, "Sorry, even your extended warranty doesn't cover this. You will need a service call and you will have to pay for it". I am flabbergasted that after spending a fortune on new kitchen appliances, we are now looking at paying for a service call to clean a streak of something from between the glass doors of this oven. I was told that its inevitable that things will get between the glass doors, due to this oven having SEVEN large vents on top of the oven door, and well, that's just too bad...the only way to get the oven clean when this happens is to pay for service calls!! Bullfeathers to that!
I will try the coat hanger/wet cloth remedy and post the results. You think you've asked every possible question when buying big ticket items! Who would have known to ask about issues of those stupid vents!

o

Ok..I used a long ruler, a lint-free cloth secured around the ruler with a strong elastic band, and dipped with Windex. My husband removed the oven door and laid it carefully on some soft padding on the floor. I inserted the cloth-wrapped ruler into the opening at the BOTTOM of the door. 30 seconds and the streak was gone. Glad I read the postings on this site!

o

Ok..I used a long ruler, a lint-free cloth secured around the ruler with a strong elastic band, and dipped with Windex. My husband removed the oven door and laid it carefully on some soft padding on the floor. I inserted the cloth-wrapped ruler into the opening at the BOTTOM of the door. 30 seconds and the streak was gone. Glad I read the postings on this site!

o

HELP! I'm in same boat with spqrfll When my oven was less than year old, I had a couple drops of milk--somehow get inside the Speed oven door. OMGosh! There was no way I could get to it. The only thing that could even get close was to slightly dampen a paper towel---but since the drip ran so far down, I needed to insert my bread knife onto the paper towel to move it along. It could only get a small portion of the stain. And I was afraid of scratching the glass. NOW, 3 years later, I have 2 stains! I'm so negligent to not have called the people where I purchased my oven set. After reading on this site, I will call them Monday! It's just so ridiculous that this would even happen so easily. You remove your cup of coffee from the micro and it bumps and hence a drip finds it way into that SLIVER of a crack! BOO!

This post was edited by Jazzandme on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 14:03

o

Other than the drips in the door - how do you like your Miele ovens? Thinking about buying one, but there are almost no reviews. Is this because nobody hates this oven? Or because nobody is in love with it??

o

You talking about the Miele oven or Miele Speed oven, J_B?

The Miele speed oven is "almost universally loved" here in Garden Web.

The regular Miele Ovens, not so much, alto there are a couple Ladies here, that really love theirs.

Miele had a problem with a lot of ovens running well below set temperature, some more than 50F error.
You could also find these same complaints on other Web-sites, Chow Hound, Fix it, You name it.

I think due to these posts, some folks stayed away from the Miele ovens until they were sure the problem was fixed.
We do see posts where a poster said they called "Miele", "Miele Acknowledged the problem and said it was fixed". We don't really have any proof of the fix, (we had heard rumours of a "software fix", but again "only rumors".

So I think either folks have backed off buying a Miele oven, or if they did and had the problem, they are too embarrassed to talk about it here.

I did do an extensive search for Miele oven reviews, and "unfortunately" they are as scarce as Hen's teeth.
All we can do is to wait until a few folks here buy the Miele oven and hopefully review it here in GW, good or bad news!

I hope this answers your question.

I do have a Miele Dishwasher and Love it, but I have an Electrolux oven and speed oven and We love those too!

Gary

o

When ours arrives I'll be happy to check the stated temperature with my IR gun to see if it's accurate or not. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here