Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
massgirl_gw

HELP - Spill Runs Between Glass on Miele Oven Door

massgirl
15 years ago

I see there are a bunch of folks who have Miele ovens, perhaps you can help. After a nasty broiling episode which splattered grease on the oven's glass horrifically, I tried to clean it. In doing so, water solution dripped in-between the glass panes of the oven doors and now you can see the dried water drips through the front. I have self clean, haven't tried it yet on this problem, but I can't imagine how that can help. Anyone ever had this issue?

Thanks for helping me out.

Comments (37)

• massgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just got my answer; there is no do it yourself answer. Called Miele tech center and in order to solve this problem a tech has to make a house call to disassemble and clean the glass. Lucky for me they are doing it complimentary because the oven is just over a year old! I guess you have to attack burnt on spills one at a time with miniumum water so it can't get near the edge.

• gone2seeds
    15 years ago

I was just reading the other day on I believe the cleaning tips forum. Sounded like several people had success by placing a wet rag on a stick or something and pushing it up through the slots on the bottom of the oven door. Maybe check out over there for more details.

• massgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't know if this will work on the Miele oven but I thought it's worth putting up here. Sounds like it's not a common problem, but does happen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning Spills Between Oven Door

• lucypwd
    15 years ago

I read this post when it was initally posted and have been extremely careful when wiping the glass. However, I had the same thing happen. Apparently liquid - a drop - can go in the slots in the upper part of the door -voila - drip stain. I couldn't believe it as I have been so careful since reading the post. The most I have useds is a well rung out cloth or barely damp paper towel. The service guy says Miele will fix it one time for free. It is a huge design flaw. FWIW the service tech said not to run self clean too often as the high heat is hard on oven ...What??????? I don't know if I believe that - I mean isn't it designed to take the heat?

• hull-o
    15 years ago

I was told by an appliance sales person that you do not need to use the self-cleaning feature too often...just turn the oven on its highest temperature to burn off "dirt". Hmm. I haven't tried it. I was also told that running the self-cleaning on an oven causes it to deteriorate more "quickly". Whatever that means?! I have no first hand experience either way...just passing along information I received while shopping for appliances.

• massgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lucypwd, When the repairman comes to clean the window of your oven, watch him or ask him to show you how you can do it yourself with another person. Yes it will happen again.

You take off the oven door (as shown in the use and care book) unscrew the four (?) screws holding the two pieces of oven door together;remove the handle by unscrewing it from the door, CAREFULLY remove the glass sandwiched between the two door pieces and clean the glass. Reverse steps to reassemble. It is not difficult as long as you are working with someone who is handy. Also at the bottom of the oven door there is a large opening which you can use as directed in the link attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning Spills on Glass Between Oven Doors

• pamito33_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Tonight I tried disassembling my Miele Speedoven door to clean a drip between the glass. While taking out the last screw, the outer door crashed to the floor shattering to tiny safety glass pieces. The cost to replace $307, and $189 for service.

I had seen the service guy disassemble my regular Miele door to clean a drip while back, and he showed me how to take that door off... doesn't work the same with the Speedoven : (

All I can say is, be very careful.

• visintin_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I have a Miele double oven H 398 BP2, and cleaned the glass oven door on the inside as follows: I removed the door per Miele Operating Instructions Manual. I used a wooden yardstick with a long sock on the end. I used dish liquid and warm water on the sock and slide the yardstick (with sock) inside the two pieces of glass. The slots are at the bottom of the door (three openings). The yardstick allowed me to go all the way up to the top of the door, beyond the glass and into the slotted area to wipe everything down. I used clean warm water on the sock (on the yardstick) for a rinse. I used a dry sock on the yardstick to dry between the glass. The glass cleaned up to new condition in about 10 minutes. No technician required.

• sritacco
    11 years ago

Can someone explain how to remove the door of the speedoven?
    I have the same problem, need to clean the glass...
    The H4080 manual doesn't explain how to remove the door.

• sritacco
    11 years ago

bump

• gracehypnosis
    11 years ago

Bought a Bosch wall oven from Goeman's Appliances to go into my brand new renovated and very expensive kitchen. After 3 uses and only baking some chicken on the middle shelf, to my dismay we noticed the dreaded streak of something between the glass doors. Called Bosch. "Sorry, the warranty doesn't cover this. You will need a service call at your own expense". Called Goeman's customer service, "Sorry, even your extended warranty doesn't cover this. You will need a service call and you will have to pay for it". I am flabbergasted that after spending a fortune on new kitchen appliances, we are now looking at paying for a service call to clean a streak of something from between the glass doors of this oven. I was told that its inevitable that things will get between the glass doors, due to this oven having SEVEN large vents on top of the oven door, and well, that's just too bad...the only way to get the oven clean when this happens is to pay for service calls!! Bullfeathers to that!
    I will try the coat hanger/wet cloth remedy and post the results. You think you've asked every possible question when buying big ticket items! Who would have known to ask about issues of those stupid vents!

• gracehypnosis
    11 years ago

Ok..I used a long ruler, a lint-free cloth secured around the ruler with a strong elastic band, and dipped with Windex. My husband removed the oven door and laid it carefully on some soft padding on the floor. I inserted the cloth-wrapped ruler into the opening at the BOTTOM of the door. 30 seconds and the streak was gone. Glad I read the postings on this site!

• gracehypnosis
    11 years ago

Ok..I used a long ruler, a lint-free cloth secured around the ruler with a strong elastic band, and dipped with Windex. My husband removed the oven door and laid it carefully on some soft padding on the floor. I inserted the cloth-wrapped ruler into the opening at the BOTTOM of the door. 30 seconds and the streak was gone. Glad I read the postings on this site!

• Jazzandme
    9 years ago

HELP! I'm in same boat with spqrfll When my oven was less than year old, I had a couple drops of milk--somehow get inside the Speed oven door. OMGosh! There was no way I could get to it. The only thing that could even get close was to slightly dampen a paper towel---but since the drip ran so far down, I needed to insert my bread knife onto the paper towel to move it along. It could only get a small portion of the stain. And I was afraid of scratching the glass. NOW, 3 years later, I have 2 stains! I'm so negligent to not have called the people where I purchased my oven set. After reading on this site, I will call them Monday! It's just so ridiculous that this would even happen so easily. You remove your cup of coffee from the micro and it bumps and hence a drip finds it way into that SLIVER of a crack! BOO!

This post was edited by Jazzandme on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 14:03

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

Other than the drips in the door - how do you like your Miele ovens? Thinking about buying one, but there are almost no reviews. Is this because nobody hates this oven? Or because nobody is in love with it??

• dodge59
    9 years ago

You talking about the Miele oven or Miele Speed oven, J_B?

The Miele speed oven is "almost universally loved" here in Garden Web.

The regular Miele Ovens, not so much, alto there are a couple Ladies here, that really love theirs.

Miele had a problem with a lot of ovens running well below set temperature, some more than 50F error.
    You could also find these same complaints on other Web-sites, Chow Hound, Fix it, You name it.

I think due to these posts, some folks stayed away from the Miele ovens until they were sure the problem was fixed.
    We do see posts where a poster said they called "Miele", "Miele Acknowledged the problem and said it was fixed". We don't really have any proof of the fix, (we had heard rumours of a "software fix", but again "only rumors".

So I think either folks have backed off buying a Miele oven, or if they did and had the problem, they are too embarrassed to talk about it here.

I did do an extensive search for Miele oven reviews, and "unfortunately" they are as scarce as Hen's teeth.
    All we can do is to wait until a few folks here buy the Miele oven and hopefully review it here in GW, good or bad news!

I hope this answers your question.

I do have a Miele Dishwasher and Love it, but I have an Electrolux oven and speed oven and We love those too!

Gary

• schicksal
    9 years ago

When ours arrives I'll be happy to check the stated temperature with my IR gun to see if it's accurate or not. :)

• stirlinga
    8 years ago

Cleaning the back of the glass is not very difficult for a person with average mechanical skills. Remove the door as per Miele instructions. Hold the door vertically and remove the handle using a Torx screwdriver. Place the door on a flat surface with the inner side upwards. Remove two screws on the bottom of the door. Separate the two parts and clean the front glass surface. Re assemble making sure the rear side is on the bottom as you reassemble so the gasket does not shift. The door is heavy so you may need two persons.

Andrew in Ottawa

• stirlinga
    7 years ago

The difficulty in cleaning the glass was my first introduction to poor engineering in Miele products. Next came the door hinge in our wall oven which no longer held the door in the right position to close. Solution: I called for service and the technician pulled the oven a few cm out of the cavity to find 2 screws that secure the hinge had worked their way loose. He replaced the screws in minutes and all was repaired. The cost was $80.00 for arriving at the door and $15.00 for each 10 minutes thereafter, total $110 + tax. It is almost honest to say it took him longer to write the bill than to repair the stove. He said the door hinge screws come loose because people open and shut the door!!! I would recommend annual inspection and tightening if necessary. It is easy to pull the oven out a little and see the screws which secure the hinges and tighten them if necessary.

Andrew from Ottawa

• sritacco
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yeah... Miele has done a horrible job on their door design. I have the last generation speed oven and I was cleaning the glass one day spraying glass cleaner on the door and control panel. Yepp... it runs right between the glass where you can't get to it.

On the speed oven, you have to remove the door and take it apart to clean this after it happens. (Which involves removing the oven and turning it upside down!) Unbelievable really for what these things cost! Cleaning the inside of the speed oven is yet another issue. Very disappointing! I have one of the prior generation Gaggenau 70 cm double ovens and I have to say that is one of the finest appliances I've ever owned/used. Miele on the other hand has serious flaws. Unfortunately, both Miele and Gaggenau have gone AMERICAN now and bigger is always better right? The Gaggenau and Miele 30" ovens are ridiculously gigantic. I might change my Miele speed oven out some day for someone's version with sealed glass and an interior that is easier to clean. My 70 cm Gaggenaus on the other hand better last until I die.

• Kevin MacLean
    7 years ago

Hi all - I wanted to let everyone know that the sock/stick technique worked perfectly. And, for the record, I love the Miele double ovens. Cooks wonderfully and the Masterchef feature is spectacular! I liked it so much I bought a second one when we did the kitchen reno at the cottage. I can't say enough about that appliance. :)

• alxbosso
    7 years ago

I've had my Miele Speed Oven (H4080BM) since 2008. There were a couple of streaks or drips between the glass door. That needed cleaning. Taking the door apart was easiest for me.

The handle is attached to the glass that is the outside of the door. It can be removed from the metal door frame. This should be done by two careful people.

Securely hold the opened door by the handle and also support the bottom edge. The other person loosens the two torx screws at the bottom of the door. Once loosened move to the top of the door and with a flat blade screwdriver depress the two small grey steel wedges (about the size of a grain of rice). That will release the glass outside from the door frame. You can then place the door on a padded surface to clean the inside.

There is also a smaller piece of glass attached to the metal door frame. It can be removed by unscrewing the round keeper at the top and gently lifting the glass out from the metal notches that support the bottom. Be sure to note that one corner of the glass is cut at a 45 deg angle. Reinstall it in its original position after cleaning.

Reinstall the outside glass door onto the metal frame the same way it came off. Engage the metal clips (the ones with the torx screws) into the clips on the back of the glass first. Then snap together the top edge of the door onto the frame. The little metal wedges will click and hold the assembly together. Not too difficult. DIY and save the $ -to go to dinner.

• babj
    7 years ago

Actually, alxbosso, there is no need to unscrew the torx screws at the bottom. All you need to do is follow the 8 steps below (paraphrased from the Miele H408xBM Service Manual):

1. Open the door a few inches

2. Using a pointed tool (e.g., small flat screwdriver), push in the two silver notches on the door's upper edge until you hear them click

3. Tilt the outer glass pane a few inches forward, thereby pulling the pins of the door contact switches free from their slots

4. Pull the outer glass pane up and remove it. When removing the outer glass pane, take care not to bend the metal hooks on the bottom of the door (the ones held in place by torx screws)

5. Clean inside of glass pane

6. The metal hooks at the bottom may be bent back into position if needed before reinstalling the door

7. Slide the outer pane's retaining brackets onto the metal hooks at the bottom of the door

8. With both hands firmly push the outer pane until you see and hear it engage on both sides with a click

This operation is very straightforward and should take no more than 5 minutes, cleaning included. It is helpful to have two persons to make sure the glass pane doesn't get dropped on the floor. Easy peasy.

• David Long
    6 years ago

Great input Babj. Agree - it's relatively straightforward to remove the glass.

Where did you find a copy of the Service Manual? I would love to get a copy.

My dilemma is that the lower brackets on mine are held in place by black silicone. Not sure if that's a rigged fix from previous homeowner. I can't imagine that Miele would hold the brackets in place using silicone.

Would love to see the Service Manual to understand how the door glass is supposed to fit/hold together. Feel like I'm missing a part and that someone made a slapdash quickie repair before we owned it.

Help!

• Arlene Jacey
    6 years ago

I was sold a bill of goods at Mrs. G's and convinced to buy all Miele appliances for my new kitchen. What a mistake. It seems almost unbelievabe that these postings start several years ago and the problem still has not been addressed by Miele.

Furthermore, my cooktop is a piece of garbage. If you turn the flame on with a pot on the burner, the flame goes out. You have to turn it on, wait until the clicking sound stops, and then put the pot on. Even doing that sometimes doesn't work. I find that I can step away from the cooktop thinking everything is fine only to return and the gas is out under the pot. Very dangerous! The only good think about this gas cooktop is that the finish is very easy to clean.

My dishwasher doesn't dry dishes.

My microwave/convection oven has terrible streaks between the inner/outer glass on the door.

Stick with GE or even SEARS makes great appliances according to the reviews.

• lucypwd
    6 years ago

Well, I love my Miele dishwasher - LOVE it. I wouldn’t have any other brand

I love my Miele side by side freezer fridge. Huge. LOVE it

i love my Miele double ovens

i love the look of my Miele hood - but in all honesty it is just a fair performer. For my style cooking it is fine

If I could only pick one Miele Appliance to buy, it would be the dishwasher

everyone has their own favorites

• Karl Lonieski
    6 years ago

I agree...love my Miele appliances!

• pjughead
    3 years ago

I have the drip problem with my Miele wall oven and have had a repair man fix it 3 times which is absolutely ridiculous. How shameful that this company wont stand by these high end products. The answer? pay $150 each time this happens which is again, again, ad again. Such a dramatic design flaw. I told the guy I have had many cheaper products in the past and never experienced this problem. Also,, don't hold your breath waiting for a response from the company - you will not get one. I also have a complaint about my turbo oven/microwave - asked a question about cleaning many times and never got a response. Their customer service matches their product design ..... flawed/

• HU-615508316
    3 years ago

miele sucks... filthy oven glass that cannot be cleaned effectively unless you pay for service... total service scam

• susapix
    3 years ago

@HU-615508316,

I'm confused. The poster right above you (Steve) just explained how you can clean the glass yourself without a service call.

• steve
    3 years ago

And it just happened again -- relatives staying with us during COVID.

I looked up my own post to remind me how to do it :)

• Paul DesOrmeaux
    3 years ago

@Steve Thanks for the easy instructions! I can't believe I just took glass off and cleaned it! You made my weekend.

• HU-697182047
    2 years ago

Steve,

You just saved us a $210 tech callout fee from Milie NZ. so simple.

Many many thanks!

• HU-239210040
    2 years ago

I used to swear by Miele ovens but this new model is big disappointment . easy clean surface isnt easy to clean cooked roast chicken in a oven bag and stiil got brown residue drips on back wall .

Spent 2 hours yesterday cleaning inner glass door and trying to get it back together had one little dribble on the glass between the glass . Just warmed plates and put bacon in and the dribble is back . This is a huge design error so mad I dont feel like using the damn thing . Goodness knows what would happen iif I used the grill Its a lemon folks ..

• steve
    last year

Yet again, somebody dripped something between the panes :)

For some reason it took over an hour to find my original post. Time to make a local copy.