Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
detox99

New Miele Dual Fuel Gas Range Experience?

Detox
9 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has experience with Miele's new Dual Fuel M Touch Range "a range like no other"?

On the surface this sounds like an amazing product, and will directly compete with the offerings from Wolf etc, but this is their first offering of this product in this category.

We are currently looking at the Wolf 30" Dual Fuel, would love to know how this compares and /or any thoughts experiences with Mieles new range.

Thanks,
Detox

Comments (274)

• Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

Before we did our K reno, we had all gas 30" Kenmore by GE. During reno we went w/ 36" Wolf rangetop (my wife didn't want griddle) & Wolf single electric wall oven + Wolf convection microwave. My wife loves set-up. I think energy costs higher on electric oven compared to gas oven in range, but no hard data to substantiate. The electric oven has broiler but I think flame in gas oven's broiler gave better flavor.

• alishaes
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I won't have additional ovens, space doesn't allow, unfortunately. I cook daily and am looking for a workhorse. The digital contols on the Miele scare me a little. I like to bake bread but more often roast or broil.

• Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

We're seniors so we went w/ wall oven for better height in terms of less bending & stooping. Were we younger we probably would've gone w/ 36" range. Re digital controls, we had them on Kenmore/GE. We bought extended warranty which saved us serious money. Digital panel went out 3 times before they fixed problem that caused failures.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago

I bake, and broil on my Bluestar wall oven. Works great if you love to actually cook (rather than have "we know better than you" controls).

Bread

Squash from the broiler

From the baking stone

<Oops, didn't last long enough to take a photo>

• Francois Pretorius
    6 years ago

So we have had the Miele 48" for two years now. Love the ovens. The electronic touch screen is a little slow to react, in particular if your fingers are full of dough, but you get used to it, and it is not an issue. Baking bread and doing roasts is great.

The microwave has a "minute" one-touch button. This is fine, but a lot of things, like bread rolls, needs to be in for just 20 seconds. That requires a lot of fiddling with the menu, and it is easier just to use the minute button and take them out at the 40 second countdown. Seems it would have been easy to make this more user friendly.

The gas range is a different story. Miele came out twice to address the "sticking" issue on the controls, and also to address the burners not igniting when they should. They replaced our burners with the latest model. (They also replaced the whole top and trim, which was nice of them). It is still not where it should be though. Before, it would sometimes take 10 or 15 sparks to light, but it would eventually light. Now some of the burners sometime take longer and eventually result in a "whoosh" flame extravanganza, We have resorted to keeping a manual igniter handy. The problem is not consistent and it affects some burners more than others. Sometimes they work just fine.

I think if you have the room, installing separate eye-level Miele ovens would be the way to go, with a separate gas or induction range. That would give you the best of all worlds and probably would be cheaper than the combination 48" range.

Francois

• alishaes
    6 years ago
    Great information on your Miele. I actually toyed with the idea of an induction cooktop (wolf?) with a Miele wall oven. Unfortunately the wall oven would need to be below the induction cooktop. I agree, eye level would be best, just isn't happening with our space constraints.
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

I tried to interest my wife in an induction cooktop, but she wanted gas so she could see the flame to regulate it. We had an electric range in our first apartment and she hated it. It's been gas ever since, and I couldn't convince her inductioni is whole 'nutha world from traditional electric.

• klsanger
    6 years ago

@carolorbill or whomever has dealt successfully cleaning burned on bits off the Miele cooktop part of the stove...A while ago @carolorbill recommended using two products (see below). I finally tried the short one on the left: Wieman MAX cooktop cleaner with micro beads. I was nervous to try but the cooktop was looking so bad around our most frequently used front burner. It did seem to work amazingly well! I'm wondering now @carolorbill or anyone else: Has anyone used that product continuously without any long term ill effects, or does anyone have any updates since first trying it? Especially as it says it's primarily for 'glass' cooktops and our Miele stoves are of course made of black enamel metal. Comments anyone on the cooktop cleaning issue?

Otherwise, we love our gas Miele range except for the pesky occasional binding knobs but it's not a big deal. Sigh...Still haven't figured out how to program setting the oven timer so it *stops* cooking when the timer buzzes! Probably not hard to set but we find the German to English manual hard to follow sometimes :-/

• klsanger
    6 years ago

Hmmm, seems the pic of the cleaners didn't show on my above post, they do show up on a prior @carolorbill post, way earlier than my latest post above...

• barnaclebob
    6 years ago

Klsanger, to get it to stop cooking at a certain time, use the menus within the specific cooking mode and not the timer button. There are options for start at, stop at; start at, duration; etc.

• bardzil
    6 years ago

I know the speed oven in the 48" range can be used as a microwave. However, do you have to take out any racks or anything when you want to use it as a microwave? Would you recommend having a separate microwave in the kitchen or could this function as the only one (or is this one less convenient for some reason)?

• Francois Pretorius
    6 years ago

We normally leave the glass tray in. I do not think you want any metal in there, but you can store those in the warming drawer. :-)

• Melissa Kroger
    6 years ago

I’ve been using my 48” dual fuel range for one year. Overall I am pleased with it, but there have been several issues. The knob binding issue is ongoing, as are the 10+ clicks when igniting. Knob binding occurs when cooking on multiple burners for more than 30 minutes. The clicking is totally inconsistent. The speed oven is used as a mw most of the time so we always leave the glass tray in. The metal rack is stored in a toe kick drawer to the left of the range for easy access when needed. The speed oven door is very fragile/finicky, and if it’ it not closed carefully, the mw won’t work. Miele has adjusted it several times and replaced the door. It’s better, but it still acts up sometimes. The big oven door shattered during self-clean, but Miele replaced the glass within a week. The warming drawer is fine and does what it’s supposed to do. The only other problem is keeping the stove top and grates clean. I find the control panel intuitive and easy to operate.

• klsanger
    6 years ago

@barnaclebob, Thanks for the tip! We'll check that out soon and let you know if we can get the duration setting right so the oven will shut off automatically...

• klsanger
    6 years ago

@barnaclebob - Forgot to mention we have the All Gas 36" Miele Range --not the duel fuel so not sure if 'menu' options are involved. I will check on that when I can get to my range manual! Thnx again.

• klsanger
    6 years ago

@melis918 - You mention your oven door glass shattered after the self clean cycle. I've heard of this happening before with other ranges but not Miele, anybody know if this a rare or common occurrence with Miele? I've not needed to use this setting yet and quite frankly was hesitant to do so mainly because I've heard of the Self Clean cycle frying the electrical panels in other ranges, though Miele seems to have a good air circulation and venting going on as one can experience a lot of extra air blowing out the front...But now do we need to be concerned with glass shattering too? Oh my, has anyone else had this happen and can anyone chime in on this subject? I suppose I should put it through at least one Self Clean cycle before the warranty runs out, lol ;-/

• Melissa Kroger
    6 years ago

I was very hesitant to use the self-clean and waited 10 months before trying it out. I decided that it was best to do it while it was still under warranty, but was anxious about the electronics getting fried. After the self clean cycle ended, the display said it was cooled down and the door could be opened. As soon as I opened the door I could hear and see the cracked glass on the inside panel. Miele fixed it very quickly, and the repair guy said that although he has had other repair calls for broken glass from the self- clean cycle, it’s only been a handful of times. OTH, I suspect that a lot of the people who buy these ranges never actually use them to cook. On a positive note, the oven was spotless after self cleaning cycle and the electronics worked just fine.

• klsanger
    6 years ago

@melis918 Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you use the range's Self Clean mode regularly now without issues since the glass replacement repair? Just hoping the repair was a one time/long term fix. Still trying to decide here whether to try running the Self Clean cycle (when needed) or do the cleaning by hand as we're not heavy oven users so cleaning should be relatively easy with the right product whatever that might be...Seriously though, with a pro range like Miele it seems one should be able to use the Self Clean mode without any fear!

• bardzil
    6 years ago

can anyone compare ease of cleaning and loudness of the oven fan of the Miele 48" with the Wolf 48"?

• Julia
    6 years ago

Miele is making a new Range, I think they may have worked out some of the problems.

My Miele is not loud at all.

I figured out that the steam blast I was getting was because the steam was always on. I just turned the water off to my unit, as I am unlikely to use that feature anyway, and there is no blast of steam. I only ever use the bake feature, because I ruined some meat trying to use the automatic features and the, the surround etc. The oven is the right temperature, but the probe is wrong, so the meat comes out mostly raw. I am not paying to have this fixed, and it's way past the warranty period.

The burners take a long time to light, but I assume they have fixed this in the updated model.

The grill is pretty much useless, I guess it's just for the searing, and not meant to cook anything on. So I will likely get a grill cover, as I can use cast iron pans for searing AND cooking meat.

I love my Miel dishwasher, washing machine (12+ years) and vacuums, but not this range. I am guessing because Miele is a good company, the latest iteration is better. I hope so.

I used self cleaning once, and it worked wonderfully. Now I am a bit scared to do it again. But the oven is such a pain anyway, that I use it to cook bacon and chicken and that's about it.

• alishaes
    6 years ago

Julia, Do you know when the new range will be released or has it already?

• Melissa Kroger
    6 years ago

I have not needed to use the self-clean again, but I may give it a try after the holidays are over. I need to call Miele tomorrow- the mw feature on the speed oven is barely working. I have to shut it off, open the door, close it again carefully, then try again. After about the 10th try, it kicks on, but stops working after the one minute mark.

• klsanger
    6 years ago

Hi Melis918 Have you tried the range's Self Clean feature again with no issues? Just wondering! Hope your Speed Oven/MW has been fixed. We're so thankful that ours has been working fine since the beginning...So far, knock on wood! : -/

• Melissa Kroger
    6 years ago

I have not used the self clean again, because there is always some event coming up that I need the oven for. I need to try it during a time when I won’t need it. We actually have a Wolf cso which is used most often on a day-to-day basis, so I would still have an oven to use under normal circumstances. We have a steady stream of overseas guests staying with us through March, so I will probably try it the first week of April. I am happy to report that the speed oven/mw has been fixed, and (knock on wood) it has operated perfectly ever since! I’ll update the self-clean results in April:)

• klsanger
    6 years ago

Thanks Melis918, looking forward to your 'self clean' oven update! Glad to hear your SO/MW is fixed and working well now! :)

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Just FYI. The Miele ranges are basically designed for the US market, so really don't have the decades long experience like the regular Mile stoves for the German and European market, which are all designed to be built in under the counter with a separate cooktop (or wall ovens).

Case in point, the GERMAN website talks about "range cookers" (in English) with the sizes being produced in inches, i.e. not metric.

Moreover, a kitchen magazines, explains this trend: "Range Cooker or The American Way of Cooking", followed by more details about this kind of range, which "daily life in the US but still a rarity in Europe" and the pros and cons.

• Christine Drake
    5 years ago

This thread has been most helpful as I move toward ordering the HR 1934 DF range. For the owners who have been largely happy with your Miele range -- @carolorbill, @barnaclebob, @klsanger, @Francois Pretorius, @melis918 -- would you post an update on what you like or dislike about your range, now that you have had it for a good while? If the problems of igniters and burners clicking many times before lighting and knobs binding after long cooking times are the most frequently encountered issues, I guess I'll be going into my purchase having been forewarned. As anyone who looks to buy a pro-style gas range knows, there is no perfect brand and the benefits and issues have to be weighed against what we hope to match to our individual cooking (and aesthetic) needs and wants. Thanks for any feedback/updates you can provide. FYI, my current range is a BlueStar 30" RNB.

• barnaclebob
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I moved to a new house late 2017 and took the stove with me. Now that you mention it I haven't noticed sticky knobs in a long time. Maybe getting knocked around in the moving truck and the new spacers made it better??? I still get a yellow flame like in the picture after having a burner be on for a really long time but again, not really a big issue for me.

The biggest gripe now is that the burner knobs aren't linear, meaning there is a big step in heat output for a small movement of the knob right when high power stage of the burner kicks on. I frequently find myself squating down to adjust the flame by eye when its near this sensitive point.

The oven is still absolutely amazing and churns out great looking bread on a regular basis with the moisture plus settings

I tried to do an overnight sous vide pork jowl by heating a pot of water to the desired temp on the stove for awhile with the vac bagged jowl, then putting it in the slightly warmer oven overnight with a lid on. After some initial calibration on what the oven temp should be, the water temp stayed pretty close. When I try it again I'd probably be able to hit it dead on.

• Christine Drake
    5 years ago

Thanks for the update, barnaclebob. The fact that you took the stove with you when you moved tells me you still like it a lot. Your great looking breads make me want to get back to baking bread, and the oven should be a good incentive to doing it.

• klsanger
    5 years ago

@cmsdrake ~ We still love the look and function of our Miele 36" All Gas range, in spite of its few quirks like the occasional sticky knob binding, and occasional poufs of gas flame or extra clicking time with certain ignitions. All things said, none have been deal breakers and we're otherwise quite happy with our Miele range. We did purchase a five year warranty for all our appliances from our local appliance store, just to be safe though. Never had to use it so far, and the regional Miele rep is usually available by appointment to make house calls with current Miele users to help answer questions or explain instructions. Good luck and all the best with any future Miele purchases!

• Mele Fele
    5 years ago

@carolorbill did you have any issues with installation? My 36" Miele is currently lower than my countertop and I have asked my GC to raise as it will be problem when I I put a large stockpot on a burner and the burners may possibly hit the edge of the countertop or worse burn the plywood underneath. I fear it will be a fire hazard. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Mele Fele
    5 years ago

@carolorbill question regarding range versus counterop height. My Miele 36" range is currently sitting lower than the countertop (see attached pic). I fear that when a large stockpot is placed the flame will either burn the countertop or worse catch the plywood below on fire. I have asked my GC to raise the height of the range. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• klsanger
    5 years ago

We have the Miele 36" All Gas Range. Can anyone tell us how to set the timer so the oven will turn OFF at the designated cooking time? So far we've only used the timer to remind us when food is ready since we can't figure out how to program the oven to stop when done! We have found the instructions in the manual to be confusing...

• Nellene Wiley
    5 years ago

Thinking of getting the Miele all gas range but am reading way more negative comments then I'd like...any thoughts on not getting one?

• klsanger
    5 years ago

We love our Miele All Gas range, we've only had a few intermittent inconveniences like the occasional sticky knob or pouf of flame upon ignition but no deal breakers...Seems the dual fuel range might be the one to have more complications due to it being more high tech with its digital programming, whereas the Gas version is mostly straightforward. Also thought I saw somewhere about Miele having new improvements in the works for their ranges...does anyone have any further info or comments about that?

• Nellene Wiley
    5 years ago

Thank you @klsanger for your input. Helps a lot. I feel like every single range I look at has bad reviews and good ones. I'll probably just go with it.

• sidpost
    5 years ago

Also, keep in mind most reviews tend to be negative because people are motivated to post negative reviews when frustrated or disappointed versus postive reviews where fewer people post the good experiences.

I've seen a lot of bad reviews by people who did not understand what they bought frequently so, learn to spot those and throw them out for a more 'unbiased' perspective. Bad reviews that go into great detail are really the ones to pay attention to.

• mabsy
    5 years ago
    This might be a silly question, but do you clean the oven of an all-gas range the old-fashion way, with highly toxic oven cleaner or is there some other way? Or, is it simply impossible to clean?
  • Jerry Jorgenson
    5 years ago

Corrosive and toxic are not the same things. I use Rutland glass cleaner for ovens on my electric wall oven. I wouldn't have a gas oven or cooktop.

• barnaclebob
    4 years ago

Alright so I've got another update that might help people with excessive ignition clicking or delayed ignition.

A few months ago we started having an issue where the back right burner would continue clicking even after it ignited until the burner got fully warmed up or you put it all the way down to simmer for about 5 minutes. We dont use that burner very much so i got around to try fixing the issue.

I took the burner off by undoing the two torx (star) drive screws and as expected it was a little dirty under there from spills getting underneath. Cleaned it up and put it back together.

After this all of the burners had the clicking after ignition issue and the original problem burner wouldn't ignite unless i blew the gas towards the sparker. Crap this could bad with family coming in two says...

Took everything apart and made sure it was all dry underneath this time, still some moisture from cleaning, put it back together. Still no joy. Took the burner back off and this time decided to separate the two halves of the burner via two Phillips screws underneath the burner to see if there was any water in there. There is a deformable fiber based gasket of some kind between these two halves that is pretty fragile. I would recommend not taking it apart unless you are desperate. Put everything back together except this time i didn't put the two torx screws in and just let it all sit in place. It worked perfectly. Put the torx screws in and now the other burners were fine but the original problem came back.

After a few more cycles of taking the burner off and putting it back together it seems like the screws that hold the burner on needed to just barely be tightened, like weak baby finger tight and that seems to keep it working for now.

So for whatever reason the ignition system seems to be very sensitive to the tightness of these screws. Not sure I'd recommend messing with them because you might have bad luck and make things worse.

Other than that my sticky knob situation seems to be much improved in the new house, maybe knocking the stove around helped it. Also the oven is still a dream and works amazingly well.

• BSC2000
    4 years ago

I'm not intending to pollute this thread, but I am reposting an item that I started elsewhere, as I see it as very relevant to Meile range owners and this thread.

I believe that i have some information that will provide clarity to the confusion about clearances around Meile ranges, and why people believe that Miele requires an additional 6" lateral clearance.

Apologies for the poor photo (I had initially taken it for other purposes), but it indicates that the side clearance is 6" on either side, extending up 18" above the cooking surface (first and second line). I read this that as long as cabinets are above this area (above 18"), they do not require the additional 6" clearance area - per manufacturer instructions.

It also later specifies that upper cabinets should not be less than the width of the appliance - again pointing to the provision that cabinets may be the same width as the range, not required to be range width, plus 6" on either side.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion.

• shermybeagle
    4 years ago

• shermybeagle
    4 years ago

I don’t understand your post/photo

• BSC2000
    4 years ago

The bottom section of the photo is from the sticker behind the kickplate on my range. It specifies that the additional side clearance requirement only extends to the area up to 18" above the cooking surface.
    I was just posting this because of all of the conversations I've seen on Houzz that indicate that Miele has additional side clearance requirements and also require wider hoods (12" wider that the range itself - 6" on either side). I was posting this to clear that up, that if your cabinets are higher than 18" above the cooking surface, they aren't required to be wider than the range itself - per Miele instructions. I'll admit - seeing this had me curious for some time, and I hadn't found the definitive answer in Miele docs until I found this sticker. This point has been missed and not clarified many times in the past, and has been a reason some may take Miele off their list if they aren't able to, or don't want to accommodate a hood that is wider than the range.
    A wider hood has its benefits, but is not required by Miele.

• Jennifer Jackson
    4 years ago

The warranty on our Dual Fuel range is coming up, regrettably we lived with the annoying burner clicking, but I’m most concerned about the sticky gas control knobs after longer operation...... eg making chicken stock etc.

Has anyone had Miele fix either of these issue for you?

Thanks

• shermybeagle
    4 years ago

If you go on Miele's website and look under the spec library for each range it brings up this pdf that gives a diagram of the clearances. Hopefully this is helpful.

https://us.mieleusa.com/MieleMedia/docs/products/specs/pdf/Ranges/36_Inch_Range_Spec_Final.pdf

• BSC2000
    4 years ago

We finally called last month to get the clicking ignitor on the burner (under warranty).
    Quick fix, works flawlessly.

• lapsangtea
    4 years ago

I was subscribed to this thread as years ago I really really wanted and planned to get the Miele range when it was new and was looking for feedback. I love my Miele d/w, washer/dryer, vacuums, we've been a Miele household for almost 20 years now. (we have moved and replaced everything over this period except the dryer...moved it with us and it's still running!) But in the end we didn't get the range, as we were over budget with the new house, and also worried about the clicking burners on Miele range--previous house we had separate Miele gas cooktop and oven, and loved the oven but never loved the ignition on the cooktop. We got a 48 inch Thermador range with the steam oven and are really really happy with it. It has some things that Miele would never put up with --the oven timer beeping is so annoyingly loud, oven fan's fairly loud, Miele would never approve LOL. And come to find out that the panel for the warming drawer that you push on/off is attached with double sided tape. TAPE, people! ACK. Miele would never do that. However, guess what, the burners work much better, and we use our rangetop burners A LOT, so that is important. No click click click. Ever. They just work very very well. Miele has never gotten their ignitors right don't know why. Seems like they have some of the same problems we had on our gas cooktop 15 years ago. Anyhow, we love the steam oven, use it all the time, not as top of line as Miele steam oven, but we still love it, same with basically every aspect of the range. ( Love the griddle, too, was really unsure about that part.)Time will tell about longevity--that is one thing I love about Miele and one major reason why I wanted them over Thermador. But thought I'd throw this in to the mix for Miele lovers-- we are a Miele household and have actually survived and thrived with a nonMiele range this past 3 years. LOL I'll let you know whether I'm still happy in 5 more years....

• alishaes
    4 years ago

@lapsangtea I wanted that sleek Miele range too but I had seen too many negatives. I ended up going with a Bluestar. The burners are fantastic, I've been really happy with it. I also love Miele ovens, I have a xxl combi steam and It's amazing! I use it every day.