Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thermador's zoneless induction

Posted by zartemis (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 7, 12 at 2:43

I wonder if Thermador might beat Gaggenau to offering zoneless induction in the US. Target launch of the Thermador Freedom Induction Cooktop is July 2012 at $5k:

Thermador Press Release

Kitchen Designer on the Thermador Freedom

Kellys Kitchen Sync about same

Gizmodo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thermador's zoneless induction

Its probably the same unit. Gaggenau, Bosch, Thermador are the same company.

o

Five large? Holy smokes. At least some of us can point to 600 pounds worth of stainless steel for that kind of money!

Pretty cool, though! I wonder how well it will really work. There can't be any magic, there must be zillions of small coils instead of a few very large ones. The computer must then decide which to turn on.

-Stooxie

o

Stooxie, That's exactly how it works. "48 individual 3-inch induction heating elements below the surface of the appliance." Zoneless induction has been available in Europe for quite a few years. The difference with the BSH version is the "mapping", where the unit identifies the pot and tracks it. Other zoneless units have prescribed control areas. You put your pot in one and use the associated control, and the pot detectors choose which inductors to turn on. Certain areas are twinned so that you can put a single pot over more than one. The BSH (Gaggenau/Thermador) version is supposed to let you use any number of pots (I'm sure there's a limit, but there's also a limit in total area). It also is supposed to remember a pot when you move it around, but I'm not sure how it figures out which is which when you have more than one pot of the same size and shape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here