Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelledt

Culinarian Manual Clean Racks vs BlueStar Racks

MichelleDT
12 years ago

Wavering between the CC manual and self clean. Rotisserie is not important to us. In fact, have had an outdoor one for 8 years and I have no idea where the parts are - never used it. Self clean is not really important.

Racks and rack positions are important (that may sound silly to some) - I have read several posts on the racks in the self clean and folks are OK but not thrilled with them. How bad are the self clean racks? From what I understand, they are not easy glide rolling racks. I also found this from Trevor in another post (about 6 months ago):

"I agree the top rack position is to high in the manual clean and for some things the second is to low. In the self clean range that problem does not exist."

Is this still the case?

Your experience with them would be most appreciated.

I was totally sold on the CC but the more I read, the more nits I find. Does the Bluestar have similar rolling and rack position issues? I hadn't even considered a BS. Is pricing similar? I am looking at the 48 (with griddle) or 60 (with griddle and grill). I now plan to look at a BS locally next week. There are no Capital dealers in Denver so I will be making the trip to Boston.

Thanks everyone!

M

Comments (22)

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry folks....I meant to ask:

How bad are the CC manual clean racks? There is a ~$1000 difference in price to self clean.

I also found this from Trevor in another post about the manual clean rack position (about 6 months ago):

"I agree the top rack position is to high in the manual clean and for some things the second is to low. In the self clean range that problem does not exist."

Is this still the case?

Apologies!

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Hi Michelle,

Here are a couple of pictures that should help with questions about the Bluestar. Buy whichever floats your boat higher. I find no issues with the rack configuration in my range.

If anyone wants the hi-res versions email me.

The range comes with one full extension roll out and two sliding racks. The roll out is silky smooth and the other two are steel on steel, meaning they slide but it's not slick. I believe additional roll out racks can be purchased and they can go on any shelf.

-Stooxie

• thrilledtobuild
    12 years ago

I haven't started using my CC manual clean yet (still not in the new house!!). I saw the threads on rack position issues after ours had been installed. The threads were older at that point, as I stopped looking at this forum after deciding on the CC. Worried, I took the measuring tape over and looked at the racks. It seems like the ours must have the new positioning? The top and bottom racks are a bit lower than earlier posters described. I don't see any problem with them. I was relieved! Also, they slide out easily enough even though they don't roll. Hope this helps!

• sayde
    12 years ago

One of the reasons I chose the Blue Star is that you could get the rolling racks with manual. I didn't want self clean and on the CC you could not get rolling racks with manual. This was major for me.

I love the rolling rack. So wonderful and easy to take out and put in that am thinking of getting a second one and not using the regular slide racks at all.

• willtv
    12 years ago

We've got a Bluestar 36" 6 burner range.
    Our dealer was running a sale and as a result our range was delivered with 2 sliding racks and 2 rolling racks.
    We only use the rolling racks.
    They glide effortlessly

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

The difference between the height in the ovens are minimal bottom rack to broiler about 1/2"

Top rack on BS and second rack on CC is 1" lower on the CC but as noted the CC does have a higher rack, which could be used for Bacon or melted cheese and so on, but I agree to high for most things, having said that if you take into account the CC broiler is hotter than the BS broiler the 1" difference is negated.

• CT_Rob
    12 years ago

Michelle, I posted this yesterday under a different thread, but here are my thoughts on the CC manual clean racks.

As others have stated, the top rack position is basically unusable for anything other than a cookie sheet. I have the latest rack version (I believe) that has the 5th rack position at the bottom that is basically a half step below the previous lowest position. My suggestion is to put this half step down between the top and second to top rack also(and why not between them all, no reason not to have "micro" adjustments). This half step down from the top position will allow me to take a pan directly off the stove top to under the broiler for browning/finishing. The current second rack down is really too far from the broiler to get a good quick browning. I have made this suggestion directly to Capital customer service, which they said they were putting in an email to Surjit, so we will see what happens.

My current plan is to remove the oven rack system and take it to a local metal shop and have them weld in a simple roundbar to the rack to create this 1.5 rack position for me. It really looks quite simple, is is only a round bar with a 90 degree bend at the front with only two weld points (one in front, one in back).

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone...I am making myself and Mister crazy over this. When we bought our lot, we thought about it for less than 24 hours. This range is taking me ages to decide. NUTS! Mister said just get the 60, self clean and be done with it. He was quite clear that he is never going to get on his knees to clean an oven. ;-)

Oh...one last question, can I order extra rolling racks for the CC self clean if I didn't want any non rolling racks?

Cheers!

M

• mojavean
    12 years ago

Stooxie, that is the cleanest oven I have ever seen. Were our souls as unblemished, paradise would swallow us up like Tic-Tacs.

How do you keep that thing so clean? Photoshop?

• weissman
    12 years ago

Probably doesn't use the oven at all :-)

• CT_Rob
    12 years ago

probably taken right after install before being used

• jscout
    12 years ago

Michelle, the Mister sounds like a smart man. I totally agree with him. Get the 60 with self-clean and be done with it. I'm assuming that he's talking about the CC of course. I have the self-clean and I love it.

While you may not use the rotisserie, at least the rack position is a non-issue. You also get all rolling racks. Yes, every rack is rolling. Sure they only roll out half way, but practically speaking you don't need full extension.

And the self-clean is great. Unlike other ranges with electronics and whatnot, the CC is really simple and well insulated. The high temps from self cleaning will not be an issue IMHO.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jscout,

Thanks for the info on the rolling racks....

I am 90% there on the 60" CC 6 + griddle and grill - self clean. So many other posts had me freaked out about using self clean and the possibility of damaging the ovens. If it happens, I guess they are under warranty (for a period of time plus Eurostoves additional warranty).

Cheers,

M

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Stooxie, that is the cleanest oven I have ever seen. Were our souls as unblemished, paradise would swallow us up like Tic-Tacs.

How do you keep that thing so clean? Photoshop?

First off, refer to recent threads on trendy royal oven blue interiors versus black! I don't know what to say, we use the ovens all the time but I am pretty careful not to let things bubble and bake over. If I have a lasagna that looks like it's pretty full I will stick a cookie sheet or piece of foil on the rack underneath.

The times when things have dripped on the oven floor I just scrape it off.

I desperately want to argue with which broiler is "hotter" but I'll refrain.

-Stooxie

• PeterH2
    12 years ago

I think the BS racks are excellent - sturdy and smooth rolling. I despised the rolling racks on the CC range I saw - not smooth, and only came out part-way. If I were buying a range, I would avoid the CC for this reason (even though I covet the CC rotisserie).

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Michelle: you definately owe it to yourself to check out the BS if you are still considering it, particularily if you want a 60 inch. Keep in mind with a 60 BS you will get two FULL SIZE ovens, if that is important to you. I believe on the CC it is one full size (fits full size sheets) and one *almost* full size.

Also for the record the height difference between the bottom rack and broiler on the BS and CC rack is 1 to 2 inches depending on the revision of the CC racks. And even at one inch it can make a big difference if you want to cook a large bird and maybe something on a rack above it. Just another voice.

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am going to look and cook on both of them before a final decision...I will need to cook a big bird twice a year - holidays are at our home and there is a lot more than just a bird being cooked.

Appreciate all the feedback!

• stooxie
    12 years ago

probably taken right after install before being used

Just FYI, I took the picture this morning. Bought the range in July of 2010.

It IS possible to have an oven and not get schmutz all over it! Baking doesn't splatter, my roasted turkey doesn't splatter, my braises don't splatter. Finishing a pan seared steak in the oven, that splatters a bit.

The top rack in the BS is just at the correct height to put a steak right up close to the broiler without touching and those ceramic infrared broilers are the same ones they use in their salamanders. My suspect Area-51 infrared thermometer maxes out at 1,000 degrees and if I point it at the broiler it throws in the towel immediately. I don't have a device that can read higher.

-Stooxie

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stooxie,

What the heck kinda hot pad do u use to pull a pan out from under a broiler with that kind of heat?

Ur oven inspired me to go scrape the old junk off of mine earlier this afternoon. Doesn't look like yours but it is better.

M

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Hi Michelle,

For something that close a stainless steel pan or cast iron skillet with a handle. The food would be charred black long before the pan would heat up to some super hot temperature. A skillet fits just fine between the to rack and the broiler with about an inch to spare-- perfect for a thick steak.

Plus, the surface temperature of the broiler doesn't mean that heat is being directly transferred-- it has to radiate. Hence distance is the deciding factor.

-Stooxie

• Emilner
    12 years ago

I find the racks/oven in general in the manual clean CC to be the weak link in the range. The racks do not have the ideal spacing from the broiler, as CT Rob mentioned their needs to be a middle rack between the top two for the broiler. They also sqeal like heck when you pull them out when removing them.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Emilner -- I agree! I had mistakenly thought the CC all came with rolling racks. My mistake and I'm sorry I didn't look into it more carefully. I would really, really wish they were standard on all the ranges. :(