Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgyso

Instant hot water dispenser owners, what model did you buy?

kgyso
16 years ago

I was originally going to buy the Insinkerator Instant hot only. But found out the hot and cold version is about 100 bucks more and comes with a filter. I have a cold water dispenser on my SZ fridge but it does not come with a filter. Should I just get the hot and cold model for the filter? The filter only filters chlorine and odors supposedly.

Comments (17)

• peggross1
    16 years ago

You can add an in-line filter for your fridge's water/ice dispenser on the water supply line. Mine is in my basement.

If I had water in my fridge door I wouldn't do hot/cold at my sink as well.

However, I did buy a SZ w/out water dispenser and bought (not yet installed) Everpure's instant Hot/Chilled water along with their water filter kit. They sell only one hot/cold faucet to go with this system so far, but I have it on good authority that they will be offering more models early in 2008 (I've seen pictures and am holding out for the traditional on brushed stainless.)

• kharmony
    16 years ago

I bought the Wave - it was a real hassle. It is not long enough to go through granite and we had to get an adapter. They do make models long enough to go through granite but unfortunately I didn't buy one of them.

• meera
    16 years ago

I am interested in an instant hot water dispenser at the sink, but know absolutely nothing about the choices and how much they cost. How much do they typically run?

• jennymama
    16 years ago

I bought the Wave Insinkerator as well. I had the same problem as kharmony (see my thread on the kitchen forum).

I am ordering the extension through HD website for $22.

The Wave, purchased through Lowe's, was $250ish.

• hungryladyjane
    16 years ago

I have a Franke and absolutely love it. I use it several times a day. There was absolutely no trouble installing it with a 3 cm. quartz countertop.

• jacobsmishpacha
    16 years ago

I would think twice about ordering the chilled water option if you can do it on your refrigerator. Remember, in addition to the $100 extra, you will also be consuming (and paying for) energy to run an extra refrigerator to keep the water cold. Why not just install a filter for your SZ dispenser?

• jimmysb
    16 years ago

Just to clarify. The hot and cold water dispensers do not have a seperate chiller. The cold hooks up to the tap. The hot and cold dispensers have a common filter so that you can get filter cold and hot water.

• jeffrow
    16 years ago

Just went thru installing one. I got a great deal on the basic ISE model at a home depot that was closing but the faucet was waayyy cheesey. I had an RO system that was going to get a new faucet so I ponied up for the ISE hot/cold faucet, much nicer. Very heavy and but pricey. Make sure and check the plumbing setup if you are going to mix and match tanks & faucets, they are usually different. I ended up ditching the RO system for 2 ten inch filters. One for sediment and another with charcoal for taste. The filters feed the icemaker and the insta-hot hot & cold faucet. Filters are less than $20 to replace.

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

I've been thinking about including one of these in my remodel. But, I have a question about the heater. Are any of the units demand use (vs tank heaters)? That is, is the water heated only on demand, or does it maintain a heated tank supply of water?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Hold up -- the filters for the hot/cold or instant hot only filter chlorine? The filters that go in refrigerator water dispensers do a much better job than that. I guess I'll rethink this. Maybe it's an expense that's just not worth it. Rather take 2 minutes to MW my bottled water for tea.

• gypsy1969
    16 years ago

I have installed 3 of these units (two of the most expensive Insinkerators and one other brand that I can't remember) over the years. Every one of them has broken within 2 years of the installation, so I would stick with the microwave heating option unless you like non-functional instant hot water units sticking through your granite countertops.

My installations were all in the SoCal area, where the water has a lot of minerals in it, so the dispenser's longevity MIGHT improve if you live in a soft water area. I would spend my money on something else, though.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Well, that pretty much saved me a good chunk of change, gypsy. I was considering the Insinkerator hot/cold, but I'm in So. Cal. and we don't have a water softener. So, 3 gallon bottled water jugs will just have to continue to live on a shelf in my pantry.

• pugger
    16 years ago

We put in a KitchenAid about 5 years back. It was only available in off-white or chrome. Sometimes boils over - if you turn it down that kind of defeats the purpose.

We have a water softener. If have hard water and don't soften or filter the water, you'll make a short life out of these things.

• peggross1
    16 years ago

I'm having a whole house softener (W.Orange , NJ) but at the recommendation of Everpure am having an UNSOFTENED line run to a drinking water filter that will supply my instant hot tank and my everpure chiller for my dual temp sink faucet. Not only is mineral rich water good for your body, it is better for these sytems as well, for some reason.

(After lengthly research, and confirmation with Miele Tech's, I'm also having unsoftened cold water supplied to my Miele DW and using the salts for the DW to partially soften the water to help cut down on the etching of glasses that can occur with too soft water in very hot cycle European DW's! The softened water is for our other appliances, our hair, skin and clothing and plumbing fixtures.)

• cpanther95
    16 years ago

Minerals in water are great for your body and mineral-rich water heats up much easier (see how long it takes to boil distilled water).

I'd never use an RO system for drinking water. They take almost all the good minerals out of the water and the end result is drinking water ends up pulling those good minerals from your body to process the water.

Same thing goes for bottled water. Make sure you get "spring" water, not distilled or other highly filtered waters even if they add in some minerals "for taste".

• alywa
    16 years ago

We have the basic Insinkerator Instahot along with a Delta Pur water dispenser in our butler's pantry sink. We already had the instahot prior to reno, but we added the Pur dispenser since our Monogram built-in fridge didn't have a dispenser.

We love the setup.

Instahot: Link (new window)

Pur Dispenser: Link (new window)

• berf
    16 years ago

Just wanted to second the information on longevity (or not) of these things--
    We have hard water--and have gone through two of these things in 10years. I am told no matter how much you spend, that without softening the water, 5 years is a high score. (my second one just bit the dust last month) I have loved the convenience--and will most likely get yet a third one when I update my kitchen this year. For a nominal cost it has been great over the years---from water to quickly heat baby bottles in the early years, to tea and coffee and other instant foods....and I've even used the scalding water for cleaning from time to time. I do not use a filter. I would spend as little as possible and go into it knowing you'll probably only get a couple of years out of it. (our most recent one was an insinkerator). My husband swore when it broke last month that he'd never install another one of these "pieces of !@#$" BUT a week later he said in passing---"I kind of miss the instant hot" So there you have it!