Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone give me info about this demijohn?

Posted by buggirl66502 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 14, 10 at 23:57

My Mom gave me this demijohn years ago and knows nothing about it. Just wondering if anyone has any idea how old it might be and where it may have been made. It is a large green jug covered in woven wicker. It is about 20 inches tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: demijohn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone give me info about this demijohn?

Here's a direct photo (I posted a link in my original question)...

Photobucket

o

Up until the mid 60's jugs like that were used as "Acid Carboys" to transport bulk lots of acids, such as sulfuric acid, nitric acid or muriatic acid.

By the mid to late 60's they began making heavy duty plastic jugs that size, which were packed in a heavy duty cardboard container to serve as acid carboys.

I am sure there was probably many other uses for those jugs but that is the only purpose I ever saw them used for.

o

I have two similar ones we used to buy Italian red wine in when we lived in Europe. I used them for candle holders now. And this would have been sixties when we purchased them like that.

o

Calliope,,, I am sure yours are considerably smaller. According to her post these are about 20 inches tall, which means they have a capacity of about 5 gallons.

o

Mine are also that tall, but narrower. I doubt more than a gallon. Thanks for catching that.

o

Carboys like that are still useful to home vintners. But maybe without the rattan; perhaps they like to see what's inside.
Casey

o

Thanks so much for the input, everyone! Anyone have any idea of it's worth?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here