Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lydia4338

Help ID Japan Mikado china set

lydia4338
14 years ago

I received a 5 pc china set as a gift in 1997. The marking is Japan Mikado stamped on the bottom of the pieces with a floral design in the center. Each piece is footed (maybe they are rice bowls?) and the pattern is a floral with colors burnt orange, green, and gold.

Thank you, Lydia

All pictures can be viewed here: http://s439.photobucket.com/albums/qq117/lroneywright/Japan%20Mikado%20china/

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Sounds to me like you pretty well know that it's Japanese, made in the 1990's and looks like a rice bowl set.
    Perhaps someone could give you more information if you showed a picture of the mark on the bottom.
    Linda C

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

It's certainly colorful. I can't imagine that it's actually meant for food service. What's on the bottom.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

(At link in OPs first post there are two pics of bottom stamp there.)

So was this a vintage set when you received it as a gift, or new?

If vintage, here is some info on dating items from Japan (that were imported into the US) based on what the stamp says. 1891-1921 were McKinley Tariff Act years, and items had to be marked Nippon. Post 1921 items for import into US from Japan had to be marked "Japan" or "Made in Japan", but excludes years 1945-52, during U.S. occupation, when items had to be labeled "Occupied Japan".

And you know what else? I'm taking a break from some work so thought I'd do some searching. Over 30 minutes and I can't locate that mark anywhere! There are some items on ebay, but they include the word Mandalay. I did learn that Mikado has been a well known name from Japan. Doesn't help much, I know!

• calliope
    14 years ago

Things may have changed vastly over the years (they usually do) but Japanese rice bowls are not footed. Mandalay is just a name of one of Mikado's pattern lines. These bowls look rather small. Like would they hold even a cup of fluid?

• Erica Reddy
    8 years ago

Did you ever find out more information on this set. I have a tureen with this same pattern and I have the same question?

• neen31
    5 years ago

Hi, I am pretty sure your bowls are called a nut set if the smaller ones are about 2.2-3inch diameter.. nuts were put in main bowl then given to individuals in smaller ones at table... i don’t have a full set but use smaller ones to drop rings into at sink, dresser etc.