Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

need help identifying this antique

Posted by QueenSheeba (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 22:46

My Grandmother gave this to me yesterday, she said it belonged to my Grandfathers Grandmother, which makes it from the 1800s. Unfortunately i really don't know much about it, i'm guessing its some sort of letter opener, although i could be wrong. It has some writing on it, i think it says 'english make' and the initials 'W.D'.
Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: need help identifying this antique

I think it's a "pipe scraper", although way fancier than the usual ones. You scrape the gunk out of the pipe with the blade end.

They usually came in sets with a tamper for mashing the tobacco down so it burned evenly.

Look up "pipe nail", "pipe tamper" and "pipe scraper"

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here