Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koolkat62

Radio /turntable

koolkat62
9 years ago

Hi,
I was given this radio/turntable and wish to know more about it, name, year and approx. $value.

Comments (6)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

We would need more close-ups to figure out who made it. Since there is a 45 RPM insert on the spindle, I'd have to say it's some time in the 50's because 45's were invented in 1949.
    The styling seems more 50's than 60's. They were made everywhere. The better brands were German; Grundig and Telefunken corporations. Later ones, like from '59 or '60 onwards were made in stereo; this one looks like a mono one.
    The radio side features 6 dial indicators, but this does not necessarily mean 6 bands, as shortwave and FM bands were sometimes divided into two sections. SW1/SW2; FM1/FM2 because of a limitation in the mechanical tuners I believe.
    More info needed I guess.
    They generally need work to get them going, as the power supplies contain components that will have failed by now (capacitors; inside the silver metal "cans"). Hint: if it does not work, it is usually not the tubes themselves that have failed, but a bad capacitor can cause a tube to fail.
    Casey

• User
    9 years ago

I would love to have that! There are lots of that type of thing on CL and auctions around here but none just like that one. They don't bring much here.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

That may be a vacuum tube set. If so, it will be tough to locate repair parts. The most often failed parts are vacuum tubes and electrolytic capacitors. Electrolytic capacitors were commonly found in the power supply.

Electrolytics should be exercised on a regular basis to maintain quality. When first used, they condition 'form' themselves and become more like a capacitor than a leaky reisistor. If an electrolytic has sat unused for a lengthy time, say 6 months to a year, they may need to re-form to arrive at full capacity.

Electrolytics contains a liquid electrolyte as their name implies. It's a small amount of liquid, just enough to have a wet film on the coiled, foil electrodes. Electrolytic capacitors can fail by drying out (loss of the electrolyte). That is a typical failure mode of an old capacitor, maybe one that is 5 years old. The other common failure is breakdown between electrodes.

Vacuum tubes are the other common failure item. These are not generally available anymore, but there may be one company who yet makes replacements of the most common tubes. However, these will be premium priced and in most cases, not worth the cost. Your other obstacle is finding a repairman or engineer who is familiar with repairing old time radio circuits. Whomever, he is, he will need the circuit diagram to find his way around the circuits.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Actually virtually all of the tubes in a set like this should be readily available from old stock. There are numerous vendors on the web not to mention ebay where you can get just about anything. And many radio tubes are well under $10. Tubes rarely go bad on these anyway, they usually don't work because of the capacitors.

Definitely agree on replacing the capacitors. Not only the electrolytics but wax coated paper/foil caps elsewhere in the set can go bad just sitting.

Also the turntable may have a crystal cartridge which also go bad sitting. These can be restored or replaced with a ceramic or magnetic cartridge. There are dealers selling replacement styli if that's all you need.

I too would estimate the age at post WWII up to perhaps 1960.

It can be brought back!

It would certainly help to post a pic of the label on the rear with model number, and a closeup of the front panel. There were thousands of radios made in the tube era, literally thousands.

• PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    9 years ago

If you haven't found info on your set, you will here.
    http://antiqueradios.com/

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!