Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iasheff

Next Piece Done-- Pie Safe

iasheff
16 years ago

Finished the pie safe today. The only problem is one of the drawers is MIA. I thought it was here but one of them that I thought belonged to the pie safe is actually to a piece of furniture the lady who owned the property kept. She obviously has the pie safe drawer among her stuff. She is a hoarder and just has stuff piled EVERYWHERE!! She thinks she brought stuff to her new house packed in the drawer. I haven't decided what to do if I can't get the drawer from her :(

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Comments (19)

• daesaflgatorfan
    16 years ago

Beautiful! Keep up the good work.

• lindac
    16 years ago

It's lovely....but I am mourning that missing drawer!...
    Any hope of digging it out of the shed? Or will you have to make a new one?
    The paper on the shelves is very of the period! Love it!
    Linda C

• markmizzou
    16 years ago

iasheff if you are not too far away and you get by our area -- maybe I could make you a replacement -- just a thought!! OR -- WE are in the middle of the state--- buuuut-- I travel the whole state with my job very often (I was in St Louis area today)-- problem is I can't leave the state with the vehicle I drive (would not look good as a reflection on who I work for) Think about it !! Let me know. I would need the one drawer you have as a pattern, and to match the wood.

• iasheff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the comments!

Linda-- Glad you like the 'paper'. It is actually a vinyl tablecloth (it looks like cloth in person) that I cut up today. I couldn't decide what I needed to put in there and the roads were too bad to go anywhere so I decided to try using that. My hubby loved it when I was done. AND it looks so much better than the bare wood did (or the pink wallpaper). The missing drawer is still bothering me too-- I am thinking of holding the drawer I have here as hostage until she looks for 'my' drawer!! LOL (My mom keeps telling me I shouldn't be complaining too loudly since I got all the pieces for free.)

Mark-- I may take you up on that! My hubby is going to help her move some furniture around so he is going to look for the drawer while he is there. We travel around MO quite a bit when the weather is decent. We ride ATVs so we go down around Clinton some and south of Springfield every chance we can get. If we haven't seen any hint of finding the drawer before Spring, I may be getting a hold of you!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

iasheff, that is just beautiful. Really enjoying watching your treasure trove being revealed ;) Hope everything works out with the drawer (and how very nice of markmizzou to offer to help you out just in case)!

• iasheff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, moonshadow. I am really enjoying what is showing up as I clean the pieces. My next project is the curved front dresser. There are definitely drawers missing or drawers that are so damaged that the fronts are not repairable. My husband is in the process of gluing and screwing some of the pieces right now. My intentions right now are to get it completed and use it as a TV stand. Our TV is just on a cheapo stand right now because it was too wide to fit in our entertainment center. Where the drawers are missing, I plan on putting the DVR/Cable box and the DVD on the open areas of the smaller drawers, and where the large drawer is missing, I will put our scanner, a center speaker, etc. The bottom drawer that is in excellent condition is where I will keep DVDs, etc.

I know some people don't like using old furniture for anything but it's intended purpose but I think this will work wonderfully for me!! It fulfills a need for us and saves the dresser from going into the landfill since I am sure it would cost more to have someone make the curved front drawers than the dresser would ever be worth!!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Oh, I for one love to see older furniture get a new, unique purpose! I get a real kick out of some of the Home Dec posters who have come up with creative ways to use their vintage/antique pieces and blend them with more current furnishings.

Sounds like your plan is a winner to me! ;)

• alisande
    16 years ago

WOWÂgreat job!!

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

I have one almost identical ,my doors arent carved fancy.
    Good job..

• des_arc_ya_ya
    16 years ago

What a beautiful work of art you've created. I agree - the missing drawer just makes me sick. Made a concentrated effort to grab that sucker, wouldya!? LOL

• dennied
    16 years ago

What beautiful work you do???? Did you actually refinish it or just clean it up??? What did you use???
    Dennie

• iasheff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just basically cleaned it up. Mineral spirits on some of the pieces and when that didn't do anything, I used something that my BIL gave me. It is very similar to what Lindac uses-- I think a combo of shellac thinner and lacquer thinner. It really removes all the built up crud! I then put boiled linseed oil on it. I love the finish it gives. I am more into the primitive look than the "new furniture' look! Everyone that has seen the pieces that are done-- especially over the holidays when our house has been like grand central station-- are just amazed on how wonderful they look. I could have sold several of the pieces ;)

Now that things are settling down around here, I have started on the curved front dresser. It is taking a little more work than I originally planned on. There are a couple of broken boards that I started fixing this morning and I am now just waiting for the glue to cure. I am really excited about getting it done so I can put my TV on it!

Thanks for your kind words!

Keri

• iasheff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have the drawer-- she delivered it to me at church yesterday. Now I just have to wait until it is above 0 so I can work on it outside!!

• lindac
    16 years ago

Yeah!!!!!!! I will sleep better knowing that place like a missing tooth in the front of that cupboard is filled....not with a replacement..but the original.
    Lucky you....first for rescuing the piece but also for getting that drawer!
    Linda C

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

I just popped in to catch up and see you got your original drawer! Awesome! Doesn't that just make your week?! ;D

• iasheff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am so anxious to get it done! It is in the pie safe right now- I am not going to let that baby out of my sight again--- but it looks like CR*P!! But we are at -15 this morning so I will have to deal with it looking like that for a bit longer!!

• lindac
    16 years ago

I finished a whole table in my kitchen when the weather was hovering around zero....couldn't stand to wait....the vent fan proved very useful!
    Linda C

• kim2007
    16 years ago

The pie safe looks fantastic--you really made it glow! It must be very satisfying to see such results from your efforts. But did I miss another piece from the windfall that you worked on? I looked back through the posts from the time of your initial posting on all this furniture and couldn't find anything more that you had finished-?

• iasheff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I also have the music cabinet done. I will include the link to that thread below. The commode/gentlemen's dresser or whatever it may be is also complete but I don't have pictures of it posted. My dang camera is acting up... I just need to go buy a new one but I keep finding other things to use my money on :) I am in the process of working on the curved front dresser but our weather is super cold (single digits and below). We have heat in our garage but when it is that cold, it just doesn't keep up. It is a little hard to work with mittens on!!

Here is a link that might be useful: First piece done