Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phillyvictorian

Old Double Laundry Sink. Concrete? Stone?

phillyvictorian
16 years ago

I've got an old sink that I'm guessing was used for laundry in the rear of my 1914 home. It's VERY heavy duty... the walls are about an inch and a half thick and made of stone (or concrete?). Can anybody tell me more about this sink? Is it worth keeping?

Comments (97)

• Julie L
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have one of these in my 1923 Sears home I purchased "as is" a few years ago. My problem with this sink is that the drain is TINY and stops up all the time. I would keep the sink if I can figure out getting the drain working better and also HOW do you clean this - I mean DEEP clean -mine is covered in years of laundry back wash and is just gross. I'd like to keep it if theres a way to get it clean and reasonable effort to keep it clean. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated??? My handyman painted it white when I bought the house 3 years ago which didn't help matters now the paint is chipping into drain...trying to insert a couple pictures of it
    - really wanna get this clean so I can use and keep it. Otherwise its getting the sledgehammer ! :)

• theswatch
    7 years ago

I know this is a very old post, but I found this thread while researching my own soapstone Albarene sink. Even though it is painted, it could still be soapstone, as is my sink. It looks like you have the same one that I have and the same one sold by a salvage company here: http://www.recyclingthepast.com/i616-Soapstone-Laundry-Sink.aspx

• colleenoz
    7 years ago

Julie, I would scrape off the paint and have a larger drain hole cut. Of course then you would need the drain re-plumbed with a larger pipe. Then give it a quick scrub after each laundry session.

• Thunder Bomb
    7 years ago

Who knew.. I have one of those but with three bays... I was about to smash it up and get rid of it.. I just might fix it up now.

• jemdandy
    7 years ago

This is an old post from Dec. 25, 2007. I'm wondering why we are seeing it again, although it was a worthwhile post. Someone must have dug it out of the archive.

• Thunder Bomb
    7 years ago

jemdandy most likely because I commented on it.

• corckydog
    6 years ago

Found this because just today I asked for installation of a set tub in the new house I bought. The contractor had no idea what I was talking about and said I may mean a utility sink. Where did the term 'set tub' originate. My mother had two basins combined as one unit - was that a 'set'? Or did things 'set' there to soak?

• slcalleros
    6 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find one of these? I'm having the hardest time. The new ones don't really look like this I feel. Am i looking in the wrong place?

• lindac92
    6 years ago

Try an architechtural salvage place.

• cgard2
    6 years ago

Here in New England a soapstone sink (and that's what you want to search for) is still really quite common, usually just a glance at Craigslist is all that's needed. $100 to $150 is a pretty standard price but it often will not include the cast iron legs. The important thing to keep in mind is that although most sellers will call the sinks "soapstone", they may or may not be correct... too often not, so learn what really is soapstone because (unless you don't care) you'll want to get one that really is.

You can look on eBay too, but understand that they really are VERY heavy, so shop close to home because although it will be a lot smaller it will weigh about as much as a refrigerator.

You'll likely pay a premium price at an architectural salvage place, but at least they're more likely to know what they've actually got.

• bklyn2pok
    6 years ago

This thread doesn’t seem to die, it’s been 10 years since I last posted. My sink is still sitting on the floor in the laundry room and I still don’t have a utility sink. Mine looks similar to a greyish colored one posted earlier on this thread so I’m thinking it’s probably made out of cement.

Eventually we’ll figure it how to test for leaks and get it up on a stand of some type. It’s too heavy to move upstairs and I like it better than some of the modern options.

• lilithanne
    5 years ago

It is soapstone.

• morgan60805
    4 years ago

Anyone looking for one my son has one. He lives in Chicago suburb.

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

The design and shape of the legs appear to be castings. Notice, these are one piece. I'd say these legs are cast iron or steel. However, these do not show any rust. These could be aluminum.

• Katie Wall
    4 years ago

Hard to read sticker, but mine is from the Chicago Granitine Mfg. Co. and was delivered to Asheville Crane. No date and can’t find information on Chicago Granitine, but we love it.

Anyone have any information about this one - would love to know some history about it?!

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Well Chicago Granite is still in business so you can contact them for information about your sink.

• Katie Wall
    4 years ago

I couldn’t find contact information for them - I’ll look again. Thanks.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

http://www.chicagogranitecountertop.com/ I found it by simply typing in Chicago Granite and reading part of the description. Scroll down to the bottom and you can send them an email or they have contact information.

• justinkrivers .
    3 years ago

It's not soapstone its concrete, but those early concretes often used blends of granite dust and portland cement, called "economy granite." I thought mine was soapstone too, because it had this smooth, silky finish. But the manufacturer's tag told me otherwise. If you find a tag on the bottom look up the manufacturer and you might be able to find a catalog in an old trade book on google books or some archive.

• HU-495724601
    3 years ago

Nice unit. We had one back in the late 40’s and mid 50’s. It is cast concrete not stone. They break easy so use caution while moving.

• Dread InNY
    3 years ago

I have one I was going to repurposed. I now am considering selling it for the right price. Any offers? 81 years old and still standing dreadinny@aol.com

• HU-430135819
    3 years ago

i also have a double stone or concrete sink in my basement of my 1894 house my ? is does anyone know where i can get a heavy duty stand to set it on thee one in the basement looking scary.hate to have someone standing by it if one of the legs buckled>

• HU-234687673
    3 years ago

I can’t believe how old this thread is. I’ve read it all and I still am not positive how to tell the difference between soapstone and concrete. How can I tell if I cannot find markings? I probably need to know because it’s leaking and I need to fix it.

• Niles Holder
    3 years ago

There are several manufacturers that make both epoxy, and polyurethane concrete repairs. Typically polyurethanes cheaper and would probably be your best choice in my opinion but research it for yourself oh, of course. I reclaim old Barns, houses, or any other structure typically as long as it's old, and run across these things all the time I typically sell them for $250 all day long the. I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. One last thing Portland is not Oregon!!

• PRO
    Bryhn Design/Build
    3 years ago

Hi, I have a double concrete sink just like the one in Katie Wall’s photo above. It was left in my old farmhouse and we would like to use it in our laundry room renovation. My husband has cleaned up the entire sink and it looks awesome, but it has hairline cracks in it that leak. Can anyone tell me if they have had luck repairing this issue on their own sink and, if so, what they used?

• hifromlisa
    3 years ago

Ideas for cracks in these old sinks? Glad this thread is still. I too have a double sink with fancy legs. This is a 1918 Sears home in St. Paul. I can't tell if it is soapstone or cement. I looked for tags as others indicated but owners prior to me tried to salvage this with some clunky white crap all over the bottom and sides. I can't see any labels. There is a plastic bucket underneath to catch the leaks. I had a plumber look at it and he just sprayed the pipes. Now that I look closer during a washer cycle, I see that the cement 'fix' is bubbling and dripping. Honestly, at this point, I may just toss. Yet, sadly the cost to do that has been like $500. Both contractors said that it's so heavy and they have to take out piece by piece, thus the cost. That's not even the plumbing charge. Sorry..rambling...but maybe someone knows:

1. Possible to fix cracks?

2. Is there a liner for these?

3. Maybe something I can spray on the inside instead of trying to scrape off the underneath that has already been treated, and it's failing.

Thx! Hopeful in MN... (I will take pics if that helps).

• HU-222493086
    3 years ago

• James Dimond
    3 years ago

I Found this in a old farm property. How do I identify where it was made

• pacsman72
    2 years ago

are you planning to sell this? I am interested if so..

• Bridget Battistoni
    2 years ago

I have a beautiful one, in great condition. "Seattle Laundry Tray CO" making is perfect. We live in S Seattle, and will be listing ours for sale. LMK if you're interested.

• HU-898646226
    2 years ago

Ok the never ending thread so glad its here has anyone heard of a company called Tepego ? i have a double laundry sink i my 1938 -1940 New England colonial yrying to find out more and possible value way too heavy to take to “ The Antique Road Show ”

thank you

• HU-386007646
    2 years ago

Kinda crazy that folks are chatting about these sinks still. The way to tell if it's concrete is if there is a metal wrap-capping on top of sink edges. Also if it's hairline cracking it's concrete with reinforcement inside. No two people can carry it up and out. Those sinks were place before first floor was built or at least without the stairs. Mostly dropped off by horse and buggy and scuttled to foundation hole. To keep sink and repair hairline cracking grind open crack very lightly and use hydraulic cement on both sides as needed. Please reconsider keeping sink after it's been moved or off it's base stand, becomes unsafe if its ever tipped,, those metal frame stand are notorious for rusting and not ideal to be reused unless restored before reusing sink for another generation.. Plumbers don't want to do the drains either and may be integral to the original casting. Hope this helps.

• aleawalior
    2 years ago

I would love to purchase the Seattle Laundry Tray one if it’s still available. We are currently building and this is exactly what I’ve been looking for!

• HU-320291557
    last year
    last modified: last year

I Have a 3 basin (hard to find) laundry but two basins go into 1 trap... no plumber will touch it...How do i fix that drain in the sink?

• ms63543
    last year

Are these tubs worth salvaging? We just purchased a 1940s home and this was in the basement…

• bpath
    last year

Keep it! When I asked my handyman to take out my double sink like that for a sink and base cabinet, he said he wouldn’t do it because I would be bleming him for the rest of our lives. So I got someone else to do it. The handyman was right: i liked my new cabinet and sink, but oh, did I miss my double concrete-or-whatever sink. In this next house, oh, do I wish we had one. I have a utility sink in the laundry and one in the basement, but that workhorse sink, where you can clean everything from muddy boots to the Chirstmas tree stand, and let things drip and dry in the other side, is a treasure.

• Kevin H
    last year

Not finished yet but in the midst of rehabbing this space and plan to bring this back to some prominence. Any tips on cleaning it?

• Samieka Mitchell
    last year

I have one, concrete double sink, it says Hercu-lite on the front.

• zebulin
    last year

Where can I get a new frame for my old cement double sink laundry tub?

• HU-281221581
    last year

I have one. Doing work in my basement and a plumber took a look at it. The trap is old, kinda corroded and the pipe underneath leaks. He said the drainage will always be a problem so he is cutting off the end of the pipe from the other parts of the old pipes and capping it. I have PVC pipe that is taking care of water from the kitchen above and washing machine next to it, so I really don't/won't use it. But I am going to find some use for it...I like keeping original features of my 1927 Craftsman bungalow!

• Meghan Witter
    last year

What’s the easiest way to break this big beast to take it out of the basement. Sledgehammer? How do I keep it from falling on the floor and breaking the basement floor?

• Niles Holder
    last year

$200

• Jamia Jowers
    last year

I know this string is from some time ago, however I am trying to get rid of mine with 3 basins. We are in Chicago. I love it and its in real decent shape with legs but we need the space in the basement to make a bathroom and bedroom. If you are interested im at whitedress2006@yahoo.com

• HU-761906439
    8 months ago

I have a double one available.....located in Harrisburg, PA area. Email me at pyvanders@verizon.net for additional information.

• Toni Cherry
    7 months ago

Mine has a wash board built on the inside. Is this common?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    7 months ago

Yes.

tj

• linda campbell
    7 months ago

Agree....if you need another.

• Dale Taylor
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

what can anyone tell me about this one mr.daletaylor64@gmail.com

• HU-19866204
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I don't know anything about your sinks but I have one just like it and it's free if someone wants it..d121146@gmail.co