Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Vintage silverplate cutlery

I just purchased ap. 500 pieces of silverplate (one piece says sterling) for a grand total of $50.00. The seller had been collecting it to use for crafts--some of it has worn spots, but to my untrained eye most is in great condition. There are no complete sets--some have 20 or more pieces, some just a few, some single pieces. She had labeled many of the pieces with a date and pattern. Following are some of the makers/patterns/dates on the labels:

1847 Rogers Bros. 'Vintage' 1904

1847 Rogers Bros. 9 'Vintage' 1904

Holmes & Edward Pat.Feb.91 'Triumph' 1890

C.Rogers & Bros. A1 12 'Royal' 1890

Gorham Pat.1880 'Princess Louise 1881

Wm.Rogers Pat.1900 eagle/star marks unknown

Wm.Rogers eagle/star marks 'Prescious Mirror' 1954

Wm.A.Rogers A1 Pat.Sep13,98 'Carlton' 1898

1847 Rogers Bros. XS Triple 'Cromwell' 1912

1847 Rogers Bros. A1 'Vesta' 1895

Simeon & George H.Rogers Company A1 'Violet' 1905

1847 Rogers Bros. XS Triple 'Old Colony' 1911

Wm.Rogers Mfg.Co. Original Rogers 'Talisman' 1938

Community Plate 'Deauville' 1929

Rogers Deluxe Plate Original Rogers 'Precious' 1941

Vernon Silver Plate 'Romford' 1939

There are many, many more. I know it would be difficult to put a value on this collection without examining each piece, but does anyone have any idea if there is significant value? I bought them to use for large family dinners, but I don't need 500 pieces, so may try to sell the extras.

One group:

Next group:

Next:

Previous two groups in one picture:

Close-up of several serving pieces:

Also, does anyone know if it harmful to use cutlery that has worn spots?

Thank you!

Comments (26)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Oh My!! I would be like a kid in a candy store!!!!
    No harm in using stuff that has worn spots...I grew up using worn silver plate! (no! Wait! Maybe that's my problem..??)
    Really impossible to put a value on what you have without knowing condition etc.
    I suggest, making a pile of what you think you might use for large gatherings...
    And stash the rest.....you may find a use for it some day.....and it won't ever decrease in value.
    $50???? Really? How many sets of throw away plastic would that buy!
    Ya done good!
    Linda c

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lindac! I've spent the last couple of hours searching old threads, and 'crowing' to my kids! Silverpattern.com lists the six 'Violet' demitasse spoons for $75.00. (12.50ea)

The kids keep saying, "Sell it!", but I'm going to take your advice and keep the extras.

• Fori
    12 years ago

Take more pictures--I'm looking for my pattern! :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, fori, you may be in luck. Most were already identified, and I've found a few more on Silverpattern.com. Do you know the name of your pattern?

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

What fun!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sheilajoyce, it has been fun. Everything is washed, sorted, labeled (except for a few pieces), and stashed away. The total count is 683, which includes 27 large serving pieces. I scrapped 53 pieces, mostly those in the plastic bag in the above pic. They were either too worn to use as table service, or were nickel silver, white metal, etc.--I'll give them to my flea-marketing BIL. I found two teaspoons marked sterling, and two teaspoon engraved with the name 'Mother.'

A pic of most of the serving pieces, with some other pieces that I plan to use for family dinners:

(Some of them look yellow because of the camera flash.)

Here are the other pieces, sorted into some old wooden boxes that my sister found at the flea market:

A pattern that I can't find, marked 1847 ROGERS BROS, with a round silver mark that resembles a daisy. I assume it's silverplate, but no A1, AA, or IS marks, so I suppose it could be nickel silver:

If you know the name of this pattern, please post, or send me a PM. Thanks.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Don't know the name of the fork pattern....but wanted to say that if you store the silver in wood or cardboard they will tarnish very rapicly.....and rubber bands will literally "eat through" any silver.
    Best storage, of course is silver cloth....next best is plastic bags.

• Linderhof1208
    12 years ago

What a find -- I'd keep it all for you may regret it someday if you don't!

Congratulations on the great buy!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Linderhof1208!

Lindac, I was afraid that plastic bags might trap moisture. I think I'll put each pattern in a separate ziplock bag, because those wooden boxes are just the right size. No rubber bands--I used jute/twine to bundle some of the pieces. Thanks for all the info.

BTW, if I keep the ones I plan to use frequently in my wooden kitchen cabinet drawers, should I store them in plastic bags, too?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lindac, I see what you mean--the first pictures were taken before the silverplate was washed and sorted. The seller's rubber bands have been tossed!

• anoriginal
    12 years ago

WOW! Great haul! Several years ago, decided to make wind chimes outta old silverware. Bought a BIG lot of stuff for cheap on Ebay. In the lot was a LOT of Patrician flatware in really nice shape. Signs of wear but nothing worn thru. I polished it up and it looked great. Bought more and was collecting that pattern for a while. A few pieces with initials, but know I have at LEAST a service for 12... Knives, salad & dinner forks, teaspoons, round soup spoons, some little almost dipper shaped spoons, butter knives, ice tea spoons.

Actually used them for a while for everyday and SWEAR food tasted better off silver?!?

Rubber bands... not a good idea. Keep your eyes open for old silver chests... no matter how ratsy they might look. As long as insides are in decent shape, stuff just WON'T tarnish (or at least it takes a LLOONNGG time) once cleaned up and stored inside.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Mu silver is in plastic...uh...bins...drawer dividers...organizers.
    Probably for every day you would bew ashing wiping them often enough that youy won't notice a lot of tarnish....but I really think plastic wold be better.
    I have a lot of silver stuff out all the time....candle sticks on the table and coffee and tea pots on a tray, candle sticks on the mantle etc. I notice that whenever I paint all silver stuff tarnishes very quickly for about a year after....must eb something in the latex paint I guess.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Great find on all the silver & what fun it will be to set tables with it!

BTW, the wooden boxes look like old sewing machine drawers & that in itself is a good find; they're excellent for storage of many things.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

klseiverd, thanks for the advice. I've been using a couple of old partial sets that I've learned are the 'Inspiration' and 'Fortune' patterns. I still have the chests that they were in, so I can fill them with the new-old silverplate.

LOL, Lindac, my house has been a construction zone for 3 years--just finished the kitchen, but need to paint some trim. I guess I'm going to be doing some polishing, too. I didn't think of using plastic bins--the shoebox size would work well for the overflow. Thank you for all of the great info and advice.

antiquesilver, thank you--just washing and sorting it was enjoyable, and I know so much more about silverplate, now. I think the boxes were (lately) part of an old tool chest--they are stenciled with labels such as 'hinges,' 'pulleys,' 'hooks,' etc. My sister found 14 of them at a flea market for $14.00, and the seller threw in 2 with dividers, free. They fit perfectly on the shelves of a vintage cabinet that was salvaged from an old high school:

I plan to refinished the cabinet for the dining room, to match the other one that I put in the kitchen. (Right side of pic):

The house was built in the late 1920s, and I tried to keep to the 20s-30s style. Many of the silver patterns were patented and produced in those decades--they'll be perfect.

Thank you all for helping to make this such a pleasure!

• lindac
    12 years ago

Love the kitchen.....what's that thing in the lower right corner of your picture with the black knobs?
    I think those drawers were from a library card file cabinet....don't you wish you had the whole thing??? Likely oak under the paint.
    Linda c

• lindac
    12 years ago

Love the kitchen.....what's that thing in the lower right corner of your picture with the black knobs?
    I think those drawers were from a library card file cabinet....don't you wish you had the whole thing??? Likely oak under the paint.
    Linda c

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I wish I had the cabinet!! Under all that paint, six of them have brass pulls with a charming flower pattern. I wanted to incorporate some old sewing machine drawers into the kitchen, but couldn't find a good spot. They're still in the frames, but I can use them in the vintage school cabinet, too.

That's an old stove in the kitchen pic. I bought it (for $50.00) from a lady who was having a craigslist yard sale, about a 2 1/2 hr drive from my home in Ohio. The stove had a price sticker from an antique store in North Carolina. I started cleaning it up, and found that it was manufactured in my hometown!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stove pic, scroll backward or forward for kitchen remodel.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

WOW Mama-goose what a wonderful haul. HAVE to ask if in the second picture titled "Next group is the pattern on the pieces lower left corner First Love? I have part of that set and would love to add more to it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

shades, I have no 'First Love', one of the most sought after patterns, according to my BIL. He may have a few to trade for some of my orphans. Girlfriend, I'll see if I can hook you up. ;)

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

OH I had no idea it was a popular pattern. No wonder I have trouble finding it. I bought a handful like you at thrift store about 20 years ago. Always keep my eyes open for more.Knives are missing. I even have the sterling from parents I use daily but the silver-plate of the First Love is my favorite. I have bunches of orphans too and demitas (SP?) tea spoons.Used to hang them up on wall in spoon holder. No walls here for them.

Thanks for looking and asking. Hook up is good!!

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

what a wonderful find! i have silverplate that I bought when still single - never used in all of these yrs!!! I'll be using them once I get moved.

I also have my MIL (and her MILs) silver. I've used some of that. we used to eat pizza using linen napkins and silver forks (while watching tv). the forks were for what might fall off of the pizza on the way to our mouths -lol! . figured I might as well use it since I have it.

I still have my original stainless too. I seem to have lost a number of pieces of that since I moved here. Maybe the mice carried 'em off.

use it and rotate using it. see if you can find some archival quality bags. you also might find some 'silver cloth' at a fabric store or online to use to line those boxes.

my MIL (probably from her MIL) had some in silver cloth 'bags' with a drawstring closing on them.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

desertsteph, LOL, to eating pizza with linen and silver. I have to say, though, that when I reach into the flatware drawer now, I pick out the silverplate pieces--they're just so pretty.

We must have some of your mice--that's why I was looking for flatware, because so many of my stainless pieces have disappeared.

I'll be watching for bags and boxes for storage, as well as the patterns to complete several sets.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

1847 Rogers Bros is an American silverplate company which was taken under the International Silver umbrella in 20th century. It made electroplate from the very beginning, in 1847 when this was a new technology.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

florantha, thank you for the information. You know, a couple of months ago silverplate patterns never entered my thoughts, and now where ever I go, I'm on the look-out for a good deal on vintage pieces!

• junebug83
    11 years ago

Hello,

I am not sure of the name of the pattern but this is what it looks like. it says WM rogers pat. 1900 on the back. Any chance you have any pieces? Thank you.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

junebug83 you are an excellent sleuth! I do have a cold meat fork in your pattern, York. You can identify the pattern at this link Click on York.

Edited to correct link.

Here is a link that might be useful: silverpattern.com

This post was edited by mama_goose on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 14:47