Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyd_svh

Age of these small,but heavy pewter coasters?

bradleyd_svh
9 years ago

Time period, please? Purchased some pewter coasters that are different from others that I have found in antique shops. First, for such small pieces (4.75 inches across) these have some "heft" to them. I am wondering if this is because they are from a time before lead content was regulated in pewter, lead being a heavy metal. Also, VIGOROUS cleaning does not change the color at all. Still a dull gray. No initials, but you can see a makers mark of some sort on the back.

Any ideas on age? Again, they seem heavy for being so small. I should know. I have FAR too many metal coasters. LOL

Comments (4)

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Extreme enlargement of the stamp on back, roughly half an inch across. Have done LOTS of online research and cannot find a perfect match for this stamp. It is "Tudor Rose" but there are wide variety of Tudor Rose styles.

This post was edited by BradleyD on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 20:06

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I believe that size is a wine coaster or as a desert liner (put under a parfait glass, say?)

This Scalloped Edge style is called variously: Baroque, Queen Anne, Colonial.

I believe that the mark is a Tudor Rose, but the earlier marks and desirable pieces have a more delicate mark. The Rose was used by early German Pewter makers, but would have been the kind of thing used by any maker in the 20th cent.

Considering the size and mark, I would guess it to be 1950s-1960s.

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe. Two things set it apart from the recently-made pewter pieces I have seen, though. First, the more modern pewter I have handled tends to shine like silver after a vigorous polishing, whereas this retains a dull gray color no matter how much polish and "elbow grease" I apply. Second, the weight. It's "heft" was the first thing I noticed and having taken it to a couple of local dealers, it's the first thing they commented on too: "heavy for it's size" is the first thing anyone says.

Thanks for the suggestion on the wine and parfait coaster. That makes a bit more sense than standard drink coaster.

This post was edited by BradleyD on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 18:06

• lilylore
    9 years ago

It may have gotten pewter-disease (rust) that has been removed but ruined the finish, or given a patina that won't shine (which leads to my next suggestion)

It could have been a set of bridge ashtrays, which would explain the heavy weight and the patina finish. In the 50s and on they made all kinds of pewter objects with old designs in modern forms that were never seen in the olden days, like drink coasters, ashtrays, etc. The mark is too crisp for a mark of old age, though it looks like it could have been hand forged rather than stamped -indicating quality. It's a modern era piece. Until you research and find that pewter mark, you will never know the exact decade.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 2:46

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022