Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this from the 40's or the 90's? 2 pictures

Posted by lydia1959 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 19:43

A hatbox (there is a hat inside) with a UPS label on the box. I can't tell by the label if it is 93 or 43. The UPS label looks old to me, but maybe I am wrong.

I posted this at the Kitchen Table and am getting some different opinions. Thought I'd ask here too. TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: The thread at the Kitchen Table

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this from the 40's or the 90's? 2 pictures

My guess is 93.. Also based on the other label & numbers on the bottom 9-88 looks like when that label was brought into the system. Just my opinion.

o

Just a thought ~~ what if the hat & box are old, but it was shipped UPS in '93.

Could this account for the newer shipping label?

o

It's 1993....upscale stores used nifty boxes....especially for upscale items.
Let's see the hat....does the hat have a label in it?
Linda C

o

People wrote better in '43 too.

Offside, that is one brilliant hatmaker's logo.

KarinL

o

Levine Hats is still around.

Here is a link that might be useful: Levine Hat Co.

o

Thanks for the replies. The hat is a Italian made Panizza Cappelli.

o

You can easily rule out 1943 for UPS. UPS became a major parcel freight carrier when REA (Railway Express Agency) went out of business in 1966, however as was mentioned previously, that label only indicates that the item was shipped at that time. The mere fact that it was shipped at that time does not in any way establish the actual age of the product. By example, we all routinely buy products from Ebay and have them shipped via UPS or the postal service.

o

In the 1940's UPS was a presence on the east coast....delivering purchases bought in stores in the city to homes in the suburbs.
Panizza is a famous and fancy Italian hat maker, and as far as I know is still making hats....but I don't think they started as long ago as 1943.
This is one case where the hat may be worth more than the box.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here