Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natandcat

1834 windows 6 pane/12 pane

natandcat
12 years ago

I would like to sell my windows, and need an idea of the value.

Comments (13)

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

Pratically nothing!

• lindac
    12 years ago

Not so......find an architectural salvage place.
    I can't give you a figure but suggest you look for architectural salvage on line, see what things like that are selling for and expect to get half of that.
    Linda C

• sam_md
    12 years ago

Second Chance Inc includes four warehouses in Baltimore with just about everything that you can imagine. They are a non-profit. Most people take stuff there for a tax deduction. I am there all the time. Exterior shutters sell for about $15 not including hardware. They have lots of old window sashes where people have removed old windows and put in vinyl clad units. The old wooden sashes have very little value which is ashamed because they were made by hand and sometimes have seeded/wavey glass. Natandcat might think about donating the sashes to such a place and get the tax deduction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Second Chance in Baltimore

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Ask on the Old House Forum

• natandcat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you :)

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

Here is a link to the window inventory of Ohmega Salvage in Berkeley, CA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohmega Salvage

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

Donating the windows still translates to no value. An architectural salvage might give you something usually providing you deliver them to the site.

• mfrog
    12 years ago

As someone who has restored old houses, I wish people would put the old windows & doors in the basement or rafters in garage where they could be put back when someone like me buys the house. We've spent more time trying to find replacements, we rarely pay anything for old windows like these, they are a dime a dozen at the salvage yards, they usually only want decorative windows.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I will second the above. If you go to the old homes forum and talk about putting vinyl clads into an early 19th century house, duck for cover. LOL.

I have a home of the same vintage. When we removed some of our original windows, there was a person waiting for them and we gave him the units. He was thrilled and I was happy that they'd be used, intact.

Antique window glass (and it's truely antique) is very difficult to cut down. It's wavy, and full of bubbles and tends to fracture at those points when modified. I'm not saying it can't be done, but one of our contractors was really upset when one of the jobs he was on insisted he try to salvage a silmilarly old pane of glass and re-cut it and it was ruined. Ergo, unless the units are in good shape and the opening modified to accept it, a lot of people won't try to use it.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

Yes I agree people who restore love them thats all I have in my 1700 farmhouse lots of stories about them did you know you were taxed years ago by how many panes were in your windows.?And if ypou saw a crime thru the windows they ignored it because some of the windows were very distorted.Some of mine have big bubbles etc.

• sam_md
    12 years ago

Those of us attracted to this forum have an appreciation for original window sashes and such. The problem is that most in the marketplace do not. We have all seen it, around here beautiful, 19th century houses are routinely razed and replaced by McMansions. A big part of the problem is lead paint and where do we always find lead paint- on the sashes. For those few who actually restore original windows (such as me) where do you get the storm windows? They're gonna have to be custom made right? I searched and searched and finally found The Burch Company in Baltimore, still in business only barely.
    Another grievance of mine is the slate roofs. I live in an area with beautiful, black slate roofs on all the buildings build before 1920, even sheds and barns. New people who move in don't recognize slate and pull it off and put on the cheap stuff, it happens every day.
    These actions are governed by the marketplace, so many times the work goes to the low bidder.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

When we moved into our first house in 1972, there was a small crack in the corner of one of the bubbly, wavy old window panes. It had probably been there a hundred years, doing no harm, not changing one bit; we left it there for the next 23. When we sold, the house inspector insisted we replace that old pane, no matter what I said.

Some people just don't get it.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

we had to replace all windows kept the old glass,windows were in bad shape,paid a fortune,we had new windows made exactly like what was in.We had storms built 1 piece slide on to 2 clamps at the top,with a pin at bottom on both sides looks nice,we put slate roof on a garage we built,some people have no idea where some of these things are from,how old just rip it out.We dealt with 2 guys in Pa.great work.