Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bowl with no inside finish

Posted by bowlman (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 19:37

This in one of my most unique bowls it has the best exterior glaze I have ever seen. Maybe a salt glaze but it has no finish on the inside. Redware for sure. This is my mystery bowl. It has a lot crazing.Size is around 10"wide,4"high.Im going to burn this site up,LOL.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bowl with no inside finish

Is it hand thrown? Can you feel the finger trails?

o

Im sure it is hand thrown. There are no mold marks and it is not perfectly round. Define finger trails ?

o
finger trails

Some of my bowls you can feel indentations on the outside like finger imprints that occurred in the making of the bowl.

o

Finger trails are the slight ridges going around the bowl or jar that you can feel....where the potter used his fingers to shape the piece. You can feel finger trails on the outside and the inside....and sometimes you can see them.

o
RE: Bowl

Almost all of my bowls and pottery have that feeling of ripples/ridges on the outside of them. On the bowl pictures it has that feeling also but the glaze is so heavy you feel the lumps of the glazing. The bowl pictured is almost like a terra cotta ? texture and feel where it has no glaze.Not like any of my other pieces that feel solid and heavy. My other bowls have a thug when you tap them,this one has a tinny like sound. Don't know if tinny is a real word,lol.

o

Do you mean like a "ping"?...like stoneware?

o
RE: Bowls

yes, I don't think I will ever find much info on some of my pieces because of age and some or most of them are one of a kind made by small time potters. Just what I think. Still researching and chatting with great people like you though. Check this one out. Another example of one of my one of a kind,never seen one like it before. It has lost most of its finish except for the green decoration.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I would guess that bowl had no finish but for the green decorations.

o

looks pretty old , what do you think ? Do you think you could ever find out its origin/age/value. Probably not right ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here