Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam_md

Naughty or Nice?

sam_md
11 years ago

I've been really nice all year long. Here's what I want for Christmas. It's a walnut hanging cupboard with dovetail case and rat tail hinges. I'm a little concerned whether or not Santa can squeeze it down the chimney. Have you been naughty or nice? What's on the top of your wish list?
{{gwi:489853}}

Comments (5)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Your piece is quite nice. The hinges are great.

Since I will be moving into a 1963 house, I would like one of these. I have admired these for quite some time--but they are not for everyone: "hideous" and "wouldn't pay $10 for it" are fairly popular responses when I have posted them on the Decorating and Design forum.

About 75 produced in total in the late 1960s to mid 70s, so vintage, not antique--and since they are completely unattainable to me (at $75,000-100,000 or so), that's what Santa is for. These two are listed on 1st Dibs. For scale, the longer wall-hung sideboard is 8 feet. Cast bronze, enamels, and slate on a wood carcass.

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

I've been very good this year, mostly nice. So I want a craftsman server that has not been refinished. Unfortunately my santa can't afford it and neither can I. Good luck to both of you though!
    Diane

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I think I could make the first work in my house.

I'm not sure what style the pieces Palimsest lusts after are, but if I encounter one I'll let him know.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Oops forgot about those details. I doubt you would randomly encounter one any more.

These are Paul Evans Studio, and he is one of the Bucks County School of furniture maker/artists like George Nakashima, Philip Lloyd Powell--and other "studio" furniture makers like Wharton Esherick and Wendell Castle.

At auction these pieces are generally called "studio furniture" but this particular work of Evans gets lumped in with Brutalism, not because if its brutal appearance or ugliness (which it has, in it's way) but because of brutalism in architecture (from "beton brut" = exposed raw concrete). This in turn is also raw with exposure of structure.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Okay for the purists, I will take this.

(The Fisher-Fox table with Garvan Carver attribution)