Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help identifying vase

Posted by barbcollins (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 17, 09 at 19:21

This vase was passed down to me from my mother. She said it was given to her by her Grandmother.

We tried to find out about the mark years ago (pre-internet) but didn't have any luck. The numbers on the mark are 466/16

Does anybody recognize it? Suggestions where to look?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help identifying vase

Have you tried polishing it? Try using a good silver polish like International or Wrights.
I think it is likely silver plate but don't recognize the mark and haven't taken the time to look it up.
Any chance it could be from somewhere other than the US or England?
Linda C

o

Can you tell what's in the boxes under the fleur-de-lis, crown, and lion? Looks like a star in the middle...

(Oh, I'm clueless, but it's awfully pretty!)

o

Oh, I think I found it.
http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_W.html

Under E.G. Webster & Son. Now I have to figure out how to date it. I am guessing the numbers 466/16 mean there were 466 made, and this is number 16?

No I haven't tried polishing it (don't want to hurt it). Yes, it is silver plate.

o

Gentle polishing it won't hurt it....and it will show you the condition it is in.
Those numbers on the bottom most likely do not show anything about the edition and the number....that's for art prints. It's likely the style number.

o

"Can you tell what's in the boxes under the fleur-de- lis, crown, and lion? Looks like a star in the middle... "

Yes, it is a smaller Lion, a Star, and another Lion

"Gentle polishing it won't hurt it....and it will show you the condition it is in."

Should I use regular silver polish?
"Those numbers on the bottom most likely do not show anything about the edition and the number....that's for art prints. It's likely the style number."

Oh ok, I was hoping it would be the same.
Any idea how to date it?

o

Use something like International silver polish or Wrights....not one of those dip cleaners nor anything abrasive like twinkle.
The best guess on the date is by the time the maker was using that mark and the style.
My best guess is about 1910.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here