Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonnyk_gw

Looking for drawer handles

jonnyk
17 years ago

I've got a "Highboy" dresser with a mirror in the back. One guy said it was a "Bombay Style", but we're not sure. It has 4 drawers and 2 doors that open. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of information about who made it, how old it is, etc. I don't even have a picture to show you right now.

We've refinished it and restored it, but we are missing four drawer handles. We've tried to find similar replacements but have had no luck. Perhaps somebody here could suggest a place where we might be able to find a handle such as this?

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Keep looking, they are out there...
    Cast brass....circa 1880 and after....
    When looking the important thing to remember is the distance on center of the screws.
    You might be better off looking for a whole set rather than just 2....but I would be happy with a mis matched set as long as all were "of the period".
    Linda c

• markmizzou
    17 years ago

Check out Vandykes restoration supply they have a web site at www.vandykes.com . They have many different styles, maybe not exactly like yours, but very close. Even if you have to buy a complete new set, they usually have some of the best prices out there. Also make sure you measure how far each pair of holes are apart on the drawers as Linda has said.

• drcollie
    17 years ago

Try Horton's Brass (CT) on the web. High quality, lots of styles, American made. Measure your bore size before you order (distance between the posts). Also, Mitchell Brass (DE) and Ball&Ball Hardware (PA)

• Carol_from_ny
    17 years ago

If you have had it refinished and restored chances are you decreased any vaule it might have had. For future reference it's better to find out first what you have and it's value as is before you decide on restoring or refinishing it.

• marge727
    17 years ago

Liz Hardware in Los Angeles had a store full of period, antique and just plain old hardware-- Knobs, handles, latches, and even old doorknobs and Chandeliers. They also have reproductions and new stuff. It was a walk down memory lane. You can buy on the web as I heard about them from a daughter in law who lives in Northern California and bought her knobs and cabinet handles on the internet from them. I tried to do a link but its LA Hardware Los angeles, or Liz Hardware.

• jonnyk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the help everybody, I'll try and see if I can find anything from the sources you listed. This is actually for my grandparents who chose to restore the item in question. They aren't interested in it's value, mostly it's current look and usage. :-)

• bulldinkie
    17 years ago

Some of your bigger antique shops.Like Renningers,black Angus in Lancaster.There is a shop with all that stuff in one of them.The shops are about 3 miles apart.

• lsst
    17 years ago

Try House of Antique Hardware's website. The link is below.
    I did not see your exact one but they have some similar. Their prices are very reasonable so you could always replace all the pulls instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: House of Antique Hardware

• lsst
    17 years ago

This one is from The House of Antique Hardware that looks sort of similar.

• covondonga
    14 years ago

www.castmetalparts.com will make any drawer pull you need cheap. If you have one they can make another.

Here is a link that might be useful: That Site

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

One guy said it was a "Bombay Style"

He meant "bombé" (rounded front), not the Indian city.