Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgh60447

We inherited this couch...

sgh60447
9 years ago

We inherited this couch with our home. The prior owners also inherited it from the original owners. We assumed that it was just too big and heavy to take with them. Plus, it's pretty unpractical. It's terribly uncomfortable to sit on (you can feel the springs underneath) and it's huge. BUT, we do actually like the look of it and would use it if it could be reupholstered perhaps. Wondering if anyone has seen this couch, knows what period it comes from? I haven't been able to turn it over to find markings yet. It does have a nice hole in the seat so definitely needs to be recovered. Thanks so much!

Comments (3)

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

I like it, too. Brace yourself when you get new upholstery estimated! I decided to clean mine instead! Yours does look like it could be a DIY job, though.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

American Empire. It looks to be later (1840-50). This was at the beginning of introducing springs to upholstery and which was often crude, by our standards and just doesn't hold up. One thing to consider in upholstering it, is that this type of couch has dropped in value in the past 15 years considerably, to the point where is seems 'nobody wants them".

I've always felt that these pieces would take to a modern, or new, spring and cushion system quite well, design wise, but I don't recall seeing it done. Perhaps that is because the furniture making techniques employed at the time it was made were sometimes a bit shoddy, for instance the backs were basically screwed on, rather than joined.

This looks like a solid piece and I would love to see it retro fitted with new springs and cushions. A clever and talented upholsterer could do that, but I wouldn't expect it to be cheap, nor would I trust it to a DIYer or a recent graduate of an upholstery program -so it would cost ya.

This should also have tootsie roll pillows at the arms, I believe.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 2:15

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

I re-upholstered a sofa like that once. The coil springs rested (stapled) on a heavy wood plank base. The frame was built like a tank.

I replaced the springs, added several more, 8-way tied the top and reworked the padding completely. After I was through with it, it sat very well and has held up for over twenty years.

The sofa is in the downstairs women's bathroom just off the main lobby of the University of Tampa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Up the stairs and to the right...