Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help identify japanese tea set

Posted by queenbee14 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 17:09

I have just been given a pearlescent peach coloured tea set by my mother which belonged to her mother. This was given apparently as a wedding gift in the 1930-40's.
The decoration is of 2 flowers and a blossoming tree.
On the base is "Made in Japan"
Please help to identify or even value?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help identify japanese tea set

Can't say without pictures.

o
RE: help identify japanese tea set

It sounds like lustreware, also called lusterware, sometimes one word, sometimes two (lustre ware, luster ware).

My uncle was stationed in Japan after WWII, & he gave some of those to his relatives;
they had to say "Made in Japan" by law or rule or something.

On some of my relatives' sets, when you look into the bottom of the cup, you see an embossed image of a Geisha girl.

Look on ebay for active & completed sales, & when you're in "advanced" search, exclude words like German, new, reproduction, maybe Czech.

Best luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here