Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karlalaine_

Hummel Help

KarlaLaine_
12 years ago

I purchased the "Boy with Horse" hummel for my mother for christmas. I think it may be fake. Could anybody help? (I also don't yet know how to put pictures into the forums. If you could also help me with that, it would make things a lot easier).

Comments (24)

• KarlaLaine_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's fake. I'm in denial about making a completely ridiculous purchase.

• lindac
    12 years ago

think you are right....does it have the M.I. Hummel mark?
    As I know and find on the web....the boy is looking the other way and has the horse in his left hand.

• KarlaLaine_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm using my Macbook. It flips the pictures.
    It doesn't have the blue stamp...

• lindac
    12 years ago

Does it have "M. I. Hummel" in script impressed in the base of the piece?

• KarlaLaine_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh. It does. I would have never noticed that, or known to look for it. Thank you very much!

• lindac
    12 years ago

Well.....there ya go!!

• suzieque
    12 years ago

But regardles of whether your Macbook reverses the pictures or not, the horse is in his right hand. If the picture were flipped, it'd still be in his right hand.

• calliope
    12 years ago

suzieque is right. The horse is still in the wrong hand. Likewise that is not typical of the base on a Hummel and the paint is all wrong. Something not right.

• lindac
    12 years ago

This is not a piece designed by sister Berta ....it's newer like from the late 1960's or 70's. But the base is typical of those pieces.
    It should have the Gobel mark on the bottom and the MI Hummel mark....I can't see the bottom.....does it have the Gobel mark?

• calliope
    12 years ago

My mother collected Hummels when we lived in Europe, but the timeframe was earlier, so I went online and looked at some from the late sixties on, and they all have Goebel on the bottom, various marks, but none like on her's and they all have the horse tucked under the left arm. Goebels don't have paper labels, either. On the bottom should be stamped the design number. We really need a complete description of what is on the bottom of your piece......the words, the numbers, and whether they are painted on, or stamped in... if the country of origin is on it. The works, or a lot better picture. It does not look right for an authentic piece........but I sure hope it is.

• lindac
    12 years ago

The only thing "wrong" to me is the horse in the wrong hand. I looked at a lot of pictures of this figurine on line and all hav e the horse in the left hand.
    There could be the gobel mark under that piece of paper.....which could be some one's catalog or price label.
    But it's good in every other way. so if it's not original....how could it be so exactly like a real one....?

• calliope
    12 years ago

The decoration looks very authenticly Hummel. It obviously is not the 'mainstream' boy with horse if it is genuine. That's why I want to know exactly what is on the underside of the piece. That would identify the year of manufacture and also speak more to its authenticity in other respects, as signature of artist, if present and whether most of all the pattern number. There is no way the stamped in number can match the other examples since it is a different pose. If it matches, I'd very suspicious. How can something be so like the real ones? Any time a brand name and art pottery are combined, there is always the possibility of knock-offs. There is something not right, not common, amiss with this piece and knowing what is on the marks is essential to go any further.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Like it better now with the horsey under the left arm?

Casey

• lindac
    12 years ago

Hmm....me too.....but I still want to see a "Gobel" mark.

• calliope
    12 years ago

LOL..........thanks Casey. I tried and tried to flip it in my mind trying to imagine a mirror image. Evidently I couldn't. That helps. Yes, Linda.......me too. I still want to see that bottom. I always want to see bottoms.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Suzy....I'm going to leave that in the no comment column....LOL!!!
    " I always want to see bottoms."

• justlinda
    12 years ago

Boy with horse at this site. May help to identify.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boy with Horse

• suzieque
    12 years ago

Hmmm. Ok, I was wrong. I guess I don't "get" the MacBook reverse image thing.

• pris
    12 years ago

I don't know anything about the "MacBook reverse image thing". I do seem to remember film that the old fashioned non digital cameras used could be reversed when developed. Maybe that can happen here too?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

It's called mirror image; in the old days if you printed with the negative wrong-side in the holder.
    Casey

• bikerbon
    11 years ago

I have a Hummel? small 6 1/2 x 3 1/2 bird pl/pheasant? planter, not sure though, please look atattached picture. I would appreciate anything you can tell me, thank you, Bonnie

• bikerbon
    11 years ago

2nd pic

• bikerbon
    11 years ago

last pic

• lindac
    11 years ago

You have a piece of Gobel porcelain....not a Hummel.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Gobel porcelain