Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Jerome & Co. clock

socks
12 years ago

This is a clock which has been in my family. Just received it in the mail today from a friend of my father's. Dad must have given him the clock years ago, and now it's being returned to me. It looks worn. There are two places to put the key, I noticed, but I won't wind it. The pendulum is there too. When I stood it up, the wire which I suppose holds the pendulum goes back and forth. If I attach the pendulum, it drags on "the ground" and stops the motion. Maybe it was wound before shipping?

I wonder how old the clock is. Maybe I should take it to a clock shop to get it looked over.

{{gwi:1396383}}

{{gwi:1396384}}

OMG...IT JUST GONGED!!!!! lol! Scared me!

Comments (6)

• lindac
    12 years ago

It's a shelf clock.....sometimes also called a kitchen clock because that's often where they were kept...reverse painting on glass....last 20 years of the 19th century.
    Not sure why the pendulum drags....is it the right pendulum? Give it a gentle wind......one key hole for the time and the other for the strike.
    If that doesn't get things moving again, take it to a clock guy.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Clock guy

• calliope
    12 years ago

I'd guess the same time-frame. I'd also suspect that the pendulum is not a match. No way should it drag. Jerome changed owners, trade marks a number of times through the years, they are an old company. Just the way it is marked should give you a good ball park timeframe of manufacture but I'd have to look it up, I've seen timelines somewhere. They made a good clock and I'd certainly get it looked at.

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

I have a larger, different version of a Jerome clock. The hole on the left winds the strike or gong and the one on the right winds the time.

They do "gong", don't they? Love the sound ... I've gotten so used to my 2 striking clocks that I don't really hear them unless I isten for them, or if they stop ... then I really notice the silence.

Hope to someday add the family grandfather clock to my clock collection.

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

A clock similar to yours shows on a catalog page of the "Jerome and Co." dated 1852. It is 10.5 inches tall, and described as "S. B. T. 30 Hour Time Piece". It is a spring driven time piece. 8 day clocks of that period made by Jerome were 30 to 32 inches tall and weight driven.

It is a shelf clock and has to be wound each day for continous running. If your clock matches this height, likely it belongs to this series of clocks.

Carefully examine your clock label. There may be a date on it. I see some scribles on you label by later repairmen.

Jerome was making 8 day and 30 hr clocks by 1841. He opened a clock store in New York City and it is listed in the 1841-1842 New York City Business Directory. His advertisment stated, "All Clocks are direct from the factory in Connecticut, and by the manufacturer are warranted to perform in the best manner."

Look at the pendulum wire/rod. Is there a formed hook on the end of the rod? If so, this was for hanging the bob weight. The pendulum weight would be 1 to 2 inches in diameter and fixed to its back would be a hanging loop. The weight would be hung on the hook. There should be some means of adjusting the length of the pendulum. Usually, this is incorporated into the loop attached to he weight.

Source: Book: The Contributions of Joseph Ives to Connecticut Clock Technology 1810 - 1862,
    by Kenneth D. Roberts

This book can be purchased at: American Clock & Watch Museum, Inc., 100 Maple Street, Bristol, CT 06010

I recommend this book to those who are researching early American Clocks, or to anyone who has an interest in early US clocks.

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

A proper pendulum weight will clear the floor of the clock case by maybe 1/2 inch or more. The pendulum weight ahould always by removed when moving or transporting this clock. If the clock is to be transported, the pendulum rod/wire should be secured also.

Untoward forced motion of the pendulum can bend and mishapen or ruin escapement parts. With the pendulum weight in place, shocks such as setting the clock down too hard may overstress the movement. The clock can withstand greater shocks with the weight removed.

Once the clock is running, test the mechanism symmetry. The time period between each 'tick' and 'tock' should be equal (symmertic). When equal, the clock will produce its longest running time. If things are out of kilter and not symmetric, the clock can not completely run down and will stop prematurely.

A simple check: With the clock running, tilt it to one side until it bearly runs. Note the angle of the case. Tilt to the other side and repeat the measurement. If both angles of tilt are the same, the escapement mechanism and pendulum are symmetric and all is well. If not, some work on the mechanism is needed. For very small differences, one could place a shim under the clock to tilt it a bit, but this may cause a noticable out of square stance.

• socks
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jem, thank you very much for the time you took to give me more information. I took two pictures of the bob but Photobucket (which I have used for years) suddenly doesn't like me any more. So I cannot post the pictures now, maybe later if I can figure something else out.

To answer your questions:

The clock is about 13" high and about 8.5" wide.

I see the pencil writing but cannot decipher it. On the left side of the clock inside, it says "Bert Petersen 9-24-47." Probably a previous owner.

Yes, there is a hook on the end of the pendulum wire. The bob/weight itself is about 1.5" across with a wire running through it's back--loop on one end and with a tiny bolt/washer thingie which can screw up and down on the straight end.

I'll see about posting the pictures, but not for a few days. I now have the winding key hanging from the wire, and it is not tick-tocking evenly.

Thanks again for all the helpful info.