anitalolic
10 years ago

I found 4 of this chairs in my grandma house, can you help
and tell me if they are worth anything. I think they are originally
bought in Italy. Thank you!!!

Comments (6)

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

The carved animal heads and the heavy chair back indicate these were not ordinary run-of-the-mill chairs. The wood work is wonderful.

• anitalolic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

any better?

• calliope
    10 years ago

It is suggestive to me of renaissance revival, 1890s-1920s, talking into account the bulbous detail on the thinner legs. If all four chairs match, perhaps part of a dining set. They are sufficiently unusual to be desirable to the the right person and if the wood on all of them is this nice, definitely worth cleaning up and restoring to their former glory. I believe them to be mass produced, with a lot of hand finish work. Their value? I wouldn't attempt to guess it without pegging the era of production a little more closely. It will also depend on your area and whether you offer them as is, or restored.

• anitalolic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I would offer them in this condition because i dont know anything about restoration.
    I put the price at 400 dollars for al four of them, too much maybe!!??. I live in Europe.

• anitalolic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i canôt identify the head, lion or eagle??!!

• calliope
    10 years ago

I'm sorry I didn't catch immediately that these were European or British. That could throw a little different light on it. The furniture, fashion and architectural eras were a bit ahead of those in N. America, often as much as twenty years. One also finds antiques of older eras than in America and I would not want to influence you in pricing out something what may be more rare or unusual than it appears to be from one picture. It helps to see more detail in the joinery, undersides, etc and I do not feel comfortable you should accept my initial impression as any sort of appraisal. It would not suprise me at all if the fabric were original and sometimes that is a good clue as to age of production, as well as the type of padding under the upholstery. Most of the larger villages will have antique stores where one might wish to take something like this and to keep them 'honest' allow them to put that lot up for sale on consignment and take a commission from it. That helps to lessen the possibility that they'll offer you much less than their worth because they'll want their commission to be as high as possible, and will price it as high as the market will allow.