Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possibly Stupid Question about Casters on an Antique. . .

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 20, 10 at 15:05

Quite a number of years ago I bought a beautiful, very large and heavy Mission style bookcase. It came with casters on it that look original. I did not remove the casters at the time but now I wonder whether I should do so. Obviously, casters are only to roll the piece around easily, right? I've just had my floors refinished and honestly I don't want to be tempted to try to roll the piece since previous experiments in doing so have led to caster marks on the hardwood floor. My question concerns removing the casters. Will I lessen the value of the antique by doing so (if the casters are original to it--again, they appear to be)? Second, do they come out easily? I ask this because in order to remove them I will need to secure the services of two beefy men to lift it up so I can pull the casters off--the piece is solid oak and enormously heavy. Since I can't do this on my own at the moment, I can't tell whether they screw in or how they are attached. Any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possibly Stupid Question about Casters on an Antique. . .

Well, sometimes they are on posts that stick into holes. It's probably not that easy though. Things never are. :)

I don't think it will reduce the value of the item if you carefully remove the casters and save them along with all the hardware. Label it all properly, put it in a baggie, and stick it somewhere safe.

You really don't want that thing walking around on your new floors!

o

Sometimes the casters are adding an amount of height that would be missed if they were removed. I have a large serpentine mahogany dresser that I always thought was squatty until I re-installed the long-missing casters. The 1"+ made an unbelievable difference in how it "reads".
If you're just worried about the floor, put caster cups under.
Casey

o

The casters may not snap out as easily as you think. I have an old chair that has them & 1 wheel is missing. I planned on removing the faulty caster & replacing it assuming I could find a similar one - problem was, it wouldn't budge & the upholsterer & I were afraid of doing serious damage if we used more force. The chair now sits on caster cups with a double cup for height under the 'bad' leg.

I don't know about hardwood, but the wheels will definitely dent a heart pine floor.

o

I have a dining table with metal caster on it that was my great grandmothers wedding present, solid black walnut. I wanted to take then off but it would make the table lower (possibly ruin table and lessen its possible value) so I have a rug under it. Someone once suggested to have a someone who is handy with wood make wood kind of cups to slip over the rollers.I would probably do this if I ever want to get rid of rug.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here