Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klseiverd

identifying crocks?

anoriginal
12 years ago

Working out kinks and hope to post picture about 2 different types of crocks. I think they could be old/collectible??

One is what I'm calling a "bean pot". Glazed inside pot and outside of lid. Not the clearest impression on unglased side, looks like Re....ing. Under that something like Prov....Ware, and to the right of these markings the number 29.... only totally CLEAR morkinig on piece. Bought it cuz it had NO cracks or chips, was interesting, and CHEAP... knowing me, it was less than $5. Bottom looks like it was used on a modern gas burner of some sort... blackish symetrical singe marks.

Other crock is actual 2 of the same. Again, NO chips or cracks and CHEAP at local thrift store... maybe $5 each. Glazed inside and out. Bottom and rim unglazed. A crown emblem on front (bluish) with a "1" in center and 3 somethings... maybe L's... under the 1. Thinking they're hand-thrown since each one is just a little off being round. Originally bought them to hold kitchen utensils on counter. Immediately kicked myself for not buying the OTHER smaller pieces... GONE when I went back looking for them.

ANybody have any info on these... age?... origin?... value?

Comments (4)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Teh one with the crown is early 20th century....marked 2 L....which indicated Candian....or is it 2 G. which would be US.
    Can tell so much more with a picture!!

• calliope
    12 years ago

Uhm........how can you definitively say the one with the crown is early 20th? The potteries are still producing stoneware crocks with blue crowns on them. The number inside the crown will be the crock capacity. If it says 2 then it is two gallons or two quarts, etc. Really older ones sometimes just have a number. If it has something written under the number, the letters may spell out the measuring units like qts. or gals. They may also spell out where it's manufactured. One of my crocks has U.S.A. under the number, others say gal or quart.

As to L for Canada and G for U.S., I'm assuming you must be refering to either Litres or Gallons? Well, a two litre pot would look a lot different than a two gallon one, since a litre is only about a quart. Just saying if it does say two litres then it's not an early 20th century pot, because Canada didn't go metric until 1970. They used Imperial measure just like the U.S.A. still does and England did until not so very long ago.

The 'read........etc.' on the first what you describe as a beanpot may be ware from Reading, Pennsylvania. They have/had a lot of potteries. Yes, pictures might help.

• anoriginal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The "bean pot" is marked Red Wing... not crystal clear, but can be made out.

The 1 in center of crown meaning 1 gallon makes sense... about right size for that. Across the "brim" of the crown... NOT clear... could be three 1's or L's or combo of both. If they're even remotely "old", somebody took GREAT care of them!

• lindac
    12 years ago

RedWing pottery is still in business....making old fashioned pots the old fashioned way....nice stuff but not cheap!