Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shaund11

table

shaund11
9 years ago

hi was given this small table today any one seen or know anything about it very nicely carved with great detail

Comments (6)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Cute ... can you show a better picture of the carving?

The late Victorian through 1920s was full of these little "fern stands", and carving helps pin down origin.

• shaund11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi heres a picture of top of table

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Probably from India or the mid-east ... that elaborate all-over carving with basically a star-based design is characteristic. You might find something similar if you search for Indian carved table - most are hexagons, but trefoil tables were made.

There were recurring fads for "Persian" rooms, "Moorish" rooms and similar. Think Valentino in "The Sheik"

• shaund11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanx very helpful

• lilylore
    9 years ago

This work is often called "Mogul" or "Anglo Indian"

It was made in India., From the wear and apparent quality of the carving on this piece I would date it to the late 1890s. This type of furniture was a particular type popular for export from 1850-1900. These sizes of center tables are a little difficult to decorate with and tend to go for less than more desirable forms (such as a night-stand or end table height). Also the stick legs are not what are reaching the best prices. That said, works of better quality carving have a very good value. It should be noted that there is quite a bit of fretwork-carving from the 1970s, like screens and wall mounts, and sometimes works near the quality such as yours like a piece described at 1stdibs as "Indian Mogul Influenced Carved Teak Occasional Table" which sold, so I couldn't get an idea of the asking price. But it was in a more desirable size table.

Now people might scream and holler that there is nothing wrong with this size. But there is one thing wrong with it: it is less desirable, and supply and demand dictates monetary value. I sold antiques at one time, and for every table of this size and height (no matter what or when it was made) I sold 100 end table size tables.

There has been a recent surge of importers selling old, run-down, Indian pieces from the 1800s, often lesser quality furniture and architectural pieces (doors, shutters, etc.) which were never made for export or of this quality, which are now called 'Mogul' as a marketing ploy.

See: carved rosewood console, probably late 1800s.

See: This exceptional piece from christies realized $4,750 in 2012, this may be one of the most desirable of the type of carving (elephants) and size (end table).

See: This center table is perhaps more comperable to yours, but here you will notice the dolphins carved at the feet. Someone got quite a deal on this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anglo Indian

This post was edited by Lilylore on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 13:07

• shaund11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow thanks for that
    lots of info there and help

i actually thought mines was very detailed until you look at the other pieces you pointed me to

i will keep it for our selves as it is intresting

again many thanks to you all

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro