Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tultalk

Identify Antique Wood Bedfram

tultalk
11 years ago

Hi:

Anyone know vintage of this? I have 2. This says "Knight" Ionia MI, the other no ID.

Thanks and best regards

Comments (13)

• calliope
    11 years ago

It could be as late as thirties. I recently gave my step-daughter a similar bedroom set purchased in '35 by my In-laws when they were wed. I also have a set very similar in my master bedroom. Not sure of the vintage on that one, but it has the super-high headboard and I'm guessing 20s or before.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Could we see a picture of the posts, bedrails, feet, and the back of the headboard?

• tultalk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Additional photo

• tultalk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Additional photo

• tultalk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Additional photo

• tultalk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This one appears to be walnut. Our other one, slightly bigger is Ash or Oak. It also has larger and more elaborate side frames.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Yes, it looks like walnut to me, too. From the other photographs, I think this might be a mid-Victorian (1860-1880) piece. The bedrails are very Victorian -- later than this, the bedrail became much simpler. Could we have a close-up of the fitting at the end of the bedrail? It looks like it might be a thick iron "tab," which would also date the bed to this time.

This was not a high-style piece -- it is simpler than many of the overblown (but delightful!) furniture of the era. It has some elements of the Renaissance Revival style -- the arched top, the applied decoration, the curved corner on the footboard -- but is more cottage style. Much easier to live with these days, unless you live in an old mansion! However, that curved footboard can make it tricker to get a modern mattress to fit.

There is an early listing for Alex. Knight, Furniture, in the Ionia directory attached -- it's date 1872.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ionia directory 1872

• tultalk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the connectors are thick cast iron tabs and sockets in the headboard/footboard.

Thanks so much for the input.

• tultalk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A shot of the attachment socket from the headboard

• tultalk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Backside of the cast iron socket

• sam_md
    11 years ago

We had a post earlier this year about beds and the matter of siderail extentions was brought up. Modern mattresses will not fit a 19th century bed so you have to find someone to make an extention like this, keep everything else original as possible.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Yes, on older...... and the tabs were a good input. I have had some luck with newer mattresses on the older beds, but the really new ones don't fit, especially with the demi-corbeille.

• tultalk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for input. Our other bed (we sleep in now) did not req. any mod. We ordered a spring/mattress from
    sears that fit fine.