Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on painting this piece

Posted by powermuffin (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 11:53

Hello. I have a 1908 home with stained wood trim and lots of stained pieces. In the dining room all of the pieces are stained. I am looking for a small piece to go in there for additional storage, but I intend to paint the piece to help lighten up the room.

I found this CL piece and would like opinions about what you think about me painting it. I don't want to ruin a worhty antique, but will choose something that is already damaged. I realize that some people would never paint any antique piece and I would agree most of the time. So here goes...
Thanks,
Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Potential piece to paint

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on painting this piece

very nice piece, I'm not an antique expert, but just from a purely aesthetic point of view, I would not paint it. It has such unique details, that I think would be lost with paint.

Maybe some of your other pieces could be painted instead of this one.

great find. I'll be curious to see what antique value it might have (via the experts here)

If I found that piece on my CL, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!!

o

I don't think it's all that antique, but I agree that the detail would probably be lost if you painted it. It looks sort of 20s-30s to me. I'd more likely use a stain or Restora-finish and see if I liked the results.

o

The picture is gone....or I would weigh in too...

o

Linda, the link is working for me. Try again please. You have to scroll down.

ringa, my other pieces are beautiful pieces that I would never paint. I wouldn't paint this one either if it is significant. I am trying to find a piece with good lines, but that isn't really worth anything. I don't intend to paint it all one color either. I would do something decorative to bring out the details.
Thanks for the input.
Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: link again

o

The link doesn't work for me either. All I see is: This posting has been deleted by its author.

o

Same here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here