Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Replacements.com how reliable?

rjinga
14 years ago

I read a post from doing a search here that replacement.com's prices are about 3 times higher than what things would normally sell for. Does this still hold true?

I'm hoping to get to my local library to check out some books on pricing china pieces, does anyone have a reliable book that they would recommend? (assuming it's in the library)

Comments (8)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Pricing is regional...what will sellw ell one place won't in another. So if you can get something "out there" in a place like eBay you will get a wide variety of people looking.
    The best way to determine value or price is to look at sold items. Look at completed auctions on ebay...and there are other sites as well...Kovel's also has a pricing guide on line. the trouble with price guide books is they may be dated....
    Yes, replacements up their selling prices about 3 times what they will give you for the piece....
    Email them with a picture of what you want to sell and have them make you an offer....then look on the site and see what it costs to buy the same thing.
    Linda C

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

so is it reasonable to price items (that are listed on replacements) at a similir price range? or do you all automatically knock off some percentage of what they sell it for, for your own local selling?

I'm just trying to go through a few bins of china teacups and creamer and sugars and teapots and crocks, etc. and they are all different and it's very labor intensive to know how to price them. I signed up for Kovels online, but there are NO pictures, and that's half the battle for me.

I also went to the library today but the books you can take out are all several years old. the reference books are current, but It doesn't do me much good to have the book one place and the china somewhere else!

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

• Fori
    14 years ago

I also think eBay is a good place to look for the going rates on items. Replacements lists some items there so you know where the top end of the price range is. :)

I think being a little less expensive than Replacements would be a good idea--if the price is the same, I'll go with Replacements just because they have a reputation.

I have eBay send me notifications when a few patterns are listed, and I have the notifications exclude ones from Replacements. Not because I don't trust them, but because if I'm buying on eBay, I want to save a few bucks.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would be placing items in a booth in an antique mall. Here is an example (for reference) I purchased a collection (not a full set) of Lenox country cottage orchard dinner and salad plates a few soup/cereal bowls and an oval platter. Replacements lists the platter for $90, so what would be a reasonable price based on this? $70? what I'm concerned about is starting too low and I guess being too high as well. The dinner plates are listed at $40 and the salad plate $20. so what would you sell them for based on this? Replacements also sells on ebay and their price there is the same as their site, and shipping is $10.

Do any of you consider that extra cost that people would pay if they ordered online from someone else when pricing, in other words, IF someone where to buy the same plate on ebay, they would pay the $39.00 plus the shipping.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

To maximize your market reach, you should really list your inventory on both Ebay and Etsy. If you can't move your stuff fast enough, casual shoppers will come in once, look around, come in again, see the same stuff and not come back. Keeping your offerings fresh is a good way to build traffic.

Depending on how much money you want to have tied up in inventory, I'd price things to move along. Replacements usually sells only those things that are perfect, so if you want to charge their prices, you have to be scrupulous in your inspection.

Also, if you want to get someone to buy the whole collection of Lenox, rather than bits and pieces, price accordingly. You don't want someone to cherry-pick the best or most uncommon pieces and be stuck with two cereal bowls. If someone want to buy dinner plates only--make 'em a deal on the rest.

Moving merch along is a big key to retail success.

• lindac
    14 years ago

I agree that moving stuff is a big incentive for more buyers and more lookers.
    Replacements also sells "imperfect" pieces.
    The usual way of pricing things is twice what you paid.
    Many many times I have bought from one particular dealer and asked "how can yousell me this so cheaply?"...and she replies.."I bought it right!"
    And other times I have talked with dealer friends ar an auction and they have said.."I hope I can get my money out of this one"....sometimes to have rare and appealing merchandise it's necessary for a dealer to pay more than "wholesale price" for some items.
    A good dealer knows that passing along a deal to a customer assures the customer will return.
    A reasonable price for the Lenox platter might be $49.95.
    If you want to keep it price it more...if you want to sell it price it less.
    Linda C

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Excellent advice and suggestions, thanks everyone! I sure do appreciate it.

I'm just starting to do this on my own for the first time. I initially looked for retail space but for what I had at this time to sell, it just was not cost effective. I am a thrifty shopper and have been very fortunate to find some great deals (recently and over the years) on things that I bought with ME in mind, not for resale. So having this collection of things that are at minimum worth something! I am at a loss to find the right prices for them. My mom can look up in her antique pricing books things for me, but I have so many that it's quite time consuming.

My only concern about ebay (and I'm not really familiar at all with etsy) is that what if I have something listed (on ebay) and someone comes to the booth and buys it! then what do I do? Or do you mean simply list it on ebay and NOT have it displayed in my booth.

I will spend more time comparison shopping amongst the other dealers booths where I will be and elsewhere, I think if I can be in line with them or slightly less, then it will work. I can always reduce prices too and if things dont move, I'll just move them out and bring new stuff in, rotate sort of.