Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeandelana

Antique cabinet from China

mikeandelana
9 years ago

We would like to sell this cabinet we bought in China but have no idea how to go about doing so. Would anyone be able to advise us on pricing and point us in the right direction? It's not letting me post another picture but the inside has two working shelves. Antique experts please advise! Thank you!

Comments (4)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Only a hands-on exam by an appraiser can distinguish a genuine antique from a reproduction made a few years ago - the Chinese have been copying their own antiques for hundreds of years.

Check local antique and consignment stored to see what price that style is selling for locally ... what you can't give away in some areas goes quickly in others.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Once you determine a price try craigslist for your area. I use craigslist jacksonville for my sales.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

To post a second photo you can go to the bottom of this page where it says "Post a Follow-up" and click the 'Browse" button. You can also add a caption and it will be entered as another reply to the topic.

I am quite impressed by the size of the solid plank of wood used for the doors and the very sedate wood carving. As mentioned, it can be hard for a novice to date the piece. Determining the type of wood used is crucial in an appraisal. There is a rare Chinese wood (harvested to extinction) which could place this piece in 5 digits even if it was made in the late 19th century.

More than likely this is elm wood made in the late 19th century, but still of a fine quality.

The good news is: The market for Chinese antiques it very strong.

The bad news is: Since the invention of flat screens, nobody (yourself included?) no longer wants these beastly, elephantine cabinets to hide their TV.

The good news is: people who deal in Chinese furniture would only be interested in a select few of these types of cabinets and yours would fall into that range.

If you must sell, Craigslist is a way to get rid of it, but you will never get near wholesale value, I suspect.

Check on line for Chinese Furniture dealers to try to find Comparable, but remember that asking price doesn't equal selling price and you should expect to get half of the lowest dealer price if you want to sell it.

Here is a link that might be useful: chinese cabinets

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I bought this antique kitchen cupboard from China last month, here in Maine from Craigslist. The sellers are downsizing from their gorgeous Colonial home across from the Harriet Beecher Stowe house in Brunswick.

They paid $2,000 for it 10 years ago in Portland, ME's Old Port area in a fine antique shop. They were asking $300 on Craigslist. The height is 73 inches, the width is 32 inches, and the depth is 17 inches.

This is their CL photo -
    {{gwi:2132575}}

And a few others I requested -
    {{gwi:2132576}}

{{gwi:2132577}}

And a few close-ups taken at my my house -

{{gwi:2132578}}

{{gwi:2132579}}

{{gwi:2132580}}

And, a very similar one I saw online when researching. I learned that they kept fruit and vegetables in the upper portion, to keep them out of the sun, and bottom might contain a live chicken or duck until it was prepared for a meal!

{{gwi:2132581}}