Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharonann_gw

Antique Dishes

sharonann z5 Ont
14 years ago

This is a set of dishes that my grandparents received when they were married in July of 1900. There are 11 cups & saucers, 12 luncheon plates, a larger plate probabily for sandwiches or cakes and large cream and sugar. No marks on the bottom.

{{gwi:1395780}}

Comments (6)

• lindac
    14 years ago

How lovely!
    It's obviously not made for import or it would have had to have been marked.
    It looks like porcelain not pottery...probably Bavarian or German or Prussian or Austrian....from somewhere in the area....or possibly from one of the Limoges potteries....but as far as I know they were good about marking.
    It certainly has the look of Haviland of the period.....but so did a lot of other china of the period.
    I hope you love it....because it's beautiful.
    Linda C

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I'm generally not a fan of gold rimmed pieces, but wow - that set is just beautiful! How nice it's remained intact and in the family for over a century!

• sharonann z5 Ont
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the nice comments, I had it appraised about 6 yrs age in Westport, Ontario & they said about $500.00 for it. I would never sell it myself but my kids don't seem to like old dishes like I do. Maybe my dgd will when she grows older.

Sharon

• lindac
    14 years ago

You would be hard pressed to get $500 for it....but it would surely cost you that and more to replace it.
    My mother got rid of lots of her mother's and her mother in law's stuff, because she said "What do you want with that old stuff"?...One thing was a complete set of Opalescent hobnail....and another was a huge marble topped buffet with a mirror a great big walnut Renaissance revival bed a tilt top table and 3 barrels of assorted dishes.
    Make sure your grand daughter knows what they are and where they came from and why you love them.
    Linda C

• Fori
    14 years ago

It really is gorgeous. You should write a note today with everything you know about it and stuff it in the sugar bowl. Then you don't need to worry about it. Unless you're having tea, of course.

(I wish my mother would do it!)

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Those notes are so wonderful to have! I have one written by my great-grandmother (who was long gone before I was born) listing the history and prior owners of a cute little Castleford piece (butter crock?) that is now mine. My parents wrote similar notes about many other items, and I've added to them as I've researched.