Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstcarol

Need help to identify sugar bowl

jstcarol
14 years ago

Hello, I am having trouble identifying the origin on this lovely piece. It appears to me, to be fine bone china of oriental origin. But the mark does not appear so. Can someone please help? Thank you in advance -Carol

http://cid-7a5017dfa9267473.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Documents/unknown%20sugar%20bowl

Comments (7)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Don't recognize the mark...but obviously either before 1890 or not made for export...mose likely well before 1890.
    Chinoiserie, porcelain...likely English...maybe German.
    It'll be a labor of love to search for that mark!! LOL!
    Very pretty....do you also have the lid?
    Linda c

• lkgrace345
    14 years ago

It's Sarreguemines and that mark was used between 1894 and 1918 on their porcelain.

Scroll down to Image 2-18 on this page.

Here is a link that might be useful: the mark

• lindac
    14 years ago

Amazing! French...I would never have thought...
    What made you look at Sarreguimines marks?
    Linda C

• lkgrace345
    14 years ago

No one thing but primarily because of the crown. Notice how it seems constructed of large castle stones? To my thinking, generally those type of marks are of French/German origin. Also, for some reason, it seemed vaguely familiar to me. So I pulled a very old Dictionary of Marks that I have. I found some very similar...although none were the same...but those were Sarreguemines. Then I did a quick "google" and after checking a couple of sites, found the mark. And how interesting is this? At the time of this mark, Sarreguemines was actually in Germany in the imperial province of Alsace-Lorraine.

I also now know why the mark was familiar to me. Majolica. I love, love, love majolica and used to collect. (I say "used to" because it's become so dear in price since I started collecting.)So at some point of time in my research in the past, I suspect I'd come across this mark since I do have some Sarreguemines majolica.

Kind of a convoluted path I admit but it works for me. And I love a good mystery too. :)

• lindac
    14 years ago

And that's why I love collecting and researching antiques!
    I have a couple of pieces of Sarreguemines...but sure didn't click for me!
    So it isn't French, really? German!
    Love it!!
    Linda C

• sweeby
    14 years ago

The French and Germans have been arguing about Alsace-Lorraine for centuries! So whether it was French or German is, for that region, pretty much a technicality ;-)

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Clickable link to OP's sugar bowl below.

That's what I love about this place, there's always something extra to learn. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: sugar bowl