Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shell, pelham & leckie

Posted by stringbeanie (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 07 at 8:28

Hello...

Could use your help..... I have a three piece victorian reproduction set. Lady chair, gentleman chair and matching setee. These pieces were made by the shell,pelham & leckie furniture company in Alabama. Heres the problem......I cannot find the years they were in business, any history on the company, when my set was made, etc.

You know how years ago furniture was stuffed with horse hair? Well this furniture is stuffed with "hog hair" among other things. Find it kinda weird that reproduction furniture would use this method.

I have done lots & lots of searching only to find others looking for the same information on this company.
Help Please

S B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shell, pelham & leckie

Don't know a lot about it except it was located in Montgomery Alabama and was founded by George Shell sometime after 1939. I do a lot of genealogical research and found a family tree of Sam Shell, who also was a furniture artisan, and it mentioned his brother George founded the company after Sam's death. That's all I could really find in a search, save some reproduction pieces at auction houses dated 40s and 50s.

o

THe information you talk about, is something I also found in my "hunt". Just when I think, I have a lead on shell,pelham & leckie, it turns out to be someone else looking for information.

o

If you found the same genealogical website I did, then you have a direct link to people who ought to be able to help you with questions about that company, or know to whom you should be directed. I've enclosed a link below, and it should link you to that website.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Shells of Pidgeon Creek

o

Hi,

I did contact them a few months ago. THey Did not know much about shell,pelham & leckie. They "thought" the company might have started in the 1940's. I guess because their name is Shell, they had little interest when the company had three names. I am just guessing here.

S.B.

o

LOL.......so much for that idea, huh? How about contacting the genealogical society of Montgomerty Alabama? I know our local county library keeps impressive information about the local businesses of our heritage. Sounds like you've really covered all your bases so far on the impossible mission.

There are furniture makers both on my mother and father's side of the family, so this topic really does intrigue me. I wish you luck in your search.

o

Hey!
I was playing around on the internet and found this. I am the Grandaughter of George Shell of Pelham, Shell and Leckie funiture. I may not know the answers but I can find them out for you. I do not know exact dates right off hand. My Grandfather got into the fabric market because one of his frist jobs was at Maxwell making parachutes. He and two of his friends, one was a master craftsman and the other was a teriffic saleman. Thats how the names came into play. They are the last names of the three original owners. I am more than willing to help in your search. Just let me know what info I can provide.

o

I would like to see a picture of a #228 chair, light blue in color, round back with maghoney wood around it, carving on the top, partial uholstered arms, curved feet. Under the seat is either hog or horse hair covered by webbing and then thin neting. I wondered if this chair is valuable in any way and if so, what would the price be. Thanks

o

ruth e

hi
i would like to discuss with you any information you can provide on the company history. My condolences on the loss lsst year of your grandmother and namesake, Mrs Ruth Shell.

i am activly in the antiques business in pensacola for the last 40 years and do a lot of research on companies.

Thank you

robert klein
roberts antiques and restorations
pensacola, fl 32505

robertsantiques at cox dot net

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here