Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stringbeanie_gw

shell, pelham & leckie

stringbeanie
16 years ago

Hello...

Could use your help..... I have a three piece victorian reproduction set. Lady chair, gentleman chair and matching setee. These pieces were made by the shell,pelham & leckie furniture company in Alabama. Heres the problem......I cannot find the years they were in business, any history on the company, when my set was made, etc.

You know how years ago furniture was stuffed with horse hair? Well this furniture is stuffed with "hog hair" among other things. Find it kinda weird that reproduction furniture would use this method.

I have done lots & lots of searching only to find others looking for the same information on this company.

Help Please

S B

Comments (13)

• calliope
    16 years ago

Don't know a lot about it except it was located in Montgomery Alabama and was founded by George Shell sometime after 1939. I do a lot of genealogical research and found a family tree of Sam Shell, who also was a furniture artisan, and it mentioned his brother George founded the company after Sam's death. That's all I could really find in a search, save some reproduction pieces at auction houses dated 40s and 50s.

• stringbeanie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THe information you talk about, is something I also found in my "hunt". Just when I think, I have a lead on shell,pelham & leckie, it turns out to be someone else looking for information.

• calliope
    16 years ago

If you found the same genealogical website I did, then you have a direct link to people who ought to be able to help you with questions about that company, or know to whom you should be directed. I've enclosed a link below, and it should link you to that website.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Shells of Pidgeon Creek

• stringbeanie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi,

I did contact them a few months ago. THey Did not know much about shell,pelham & leckie. They "thought" the company might have started in the 1940's. I guess because their name is Shell, they had little interest when the company had three names. I am just guessing here.

S.B.

• calliope
    16 years ago

LOL.......so much for that idea, huh? How about contacting the genealogical society of Montgomerty Alabama? I know our local county library keeps impressive information about the local businesses of our heritage. Sounds like you've really covered all your bases so far on the impossible mission.

There are furniture makers both on my mother and father's side of the family, so this topic really does intrigue me. I wish you luck in your search.

• darlenepieper_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I would like to see a picture of a #228 chair, light blue in color, round back with maghoney wood around it, carving on the top, partial uholstered arms, curved feet. Under the seat is either hog or horse hair covered by webbing and then thin neting. I wondered if this chair is valuable in any way and if so, what would the price be. Thanks

• bobklein
    12 years ago

ruth e

hi
    i would like to discuss with you any information you can provide on the company history. My condolences on the loss lsst year of your grandmother and namesake, Mrs Ruth Shell.

i am activly in the antiques business in pensacola for the last 40 years and do a lot of research on companies.

Thank you

robert klein
    roberts antiques and restorations
    pensacola, fl 32505

robertsantiques at cox dot net

• rory_bakken
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ive got a loveseat with the tags on the bottom still in tact dated 1919.

• lazy_gardens
    8 years ago

Rory - None of the founders was old enough to found a business in 1919

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-pelham-shell-leckie-victorian-253369130

Research shows the original company
    was started by George D. Shell in 1939. It was then incorporated on
    3/01/1956 with the principles being Leonard L. Pelham, George D. Shell
    and Richard H. Leckie. They merged with Quality Furniture Manufacturing
    Company on 05/31/1960 and the corporation was dissolved 09/12/1969. That
    tells me that it would be safe to assume that any furniture with
    Pelham, Shell & Leckie on it was probably made between 1956-1969.

They made reproduction Victorian rococo stuff.

• Laura Berry
    8 years ago

My chair sounds exactly like the one you have but it's red the tags are intact and contrary to lazy_gardens info my tag reads 2/19/70 first tag. No. 120102 penalty of law tag removal clause, all new material consisting of cotton batting 50% linters 70% pickers 30% polyurethane foam pad 5% cotton fibre 40% shredded rubberized hair 5% hog hair 85% horse hair 15% lic.no, N.Y. 24370 (skipping to the bottom) PELHAM, SHELL & LECKIE, INC. PO, BOX 4243 Montgomery, Alabama . (next tag) customer... The Barn, 2/19/70 , 4569, chair, 120141 ,mah, 616 . manufactured by Pelham, Shell & Leckie inc, 1919 Bell St Montgomery , Alabama

• littebowpeep
    7 years ago

Hello, I am interested in finding out the value of my Pelham shell and leckie Victorian furniture 4 piece set which I have had for 45 years. Excellent condition. I am forced to downsize and want it to go to a good home as I have cherished it all these years. Thanks

Mary

• lindac92
    6 years ago

According to prevoious information on this thread they were operating as an unincorporated business in the 1930's and the corp. dissolved in 1969.
    Did you read previous posts?